using a huge map is no fun at all . . .

Nicci

Warlord
Since i am on a G4 since a few weeks i thought i'd try playing a huge map. it's still a pain . . . . minutes go by before the turn is over.
i kinda hoped my new iBook would fix this.

I never tried a huge map. I believe it's the same on a PeeCee

same on PC? i'll try that.
anyway, it's a shame. it's fun playing them all at once

Inter-turns for my IMac266 are the same with my Athlon800(maybe a bit faster on pc)
It was significantly faster before 1.2x patches.

Playing on Huge maps where pain for me too on my G3 B&W...But I suck with it because I just like playing on them. Now that I have a new computer (dual G5) the pain is all but gone :cool: . I can Handle the 30+ sec wait now towards the end. Since I always played on Huge maps I guess I saw a huge increase in speed moving up to the G5.

Later

Never enjoyed it on large and huge maps, games took too much time before the ext one. Standard maps are my cup of tea. Large maps on my G4 / 1GHz are playable, just not interested. When I want to play w/ more civs, I use a modified modbic that allows for as many civs as desired to be in a game. Playing w/ 12 civs on a standard size map is crowded. :)

It's playable on a G5 . . . . i don't see a G5 on my desk in the near future . . .
large maps are ok on a G4 though . . . i'll have to stick with that for a while.

I used to play huge maps on my G4 400mhz AGP all the time. When I got a Dual 1GHZ G4 I noticed a big difference in the smoothness of unit movements, especially naval units. But all in all in my experiences I think the game plays great on a G4 with a huge map. I don't play anything else but huge maps.

come on, on a huge map, and a war going on it takes a long time before it's ur turn again. it's ok u play 'em, but it's not going very fast.

Huge Maps Are My Cup Of Tea As Well! If you build the Great Lighthouse it makes them so much more fun. If the lag between turns is too much by a Gameboy or something and play Tetris or something on it in between. It has worked for me in the past!

Huge maps are not for everyone, Nicci. I like them, but they may not be your cup of tea. You're not wrong, and neither am I. :D :cool:

Just a confirmation from the land of Bill Gates, huge maps take quite a while. A couple of months ago a team played against 30 tribes on a custom extra-huge map (link to game and thread still available on SG forum last page LINK ). Some of the intra-turns took over an hour.

jeez. is this still on the first page. i'm typing this on my new iMac G5 . . . .
i'm in the middle of a game on a huge map. so far so good. pretty much entering the industrial age and still no complaints.

Top Bottom