Using Colonization Assets in Civ4 mod

Leaving piracy issues aside...

Would it be possible to mod Bolivar's LH into regular Civ4:BTS?

Third, and most important to us, that admendment made some exemptions to copyright infringment prosecution. If the infringment was not "willful" or did not total atleast $1,000 in value, then you can not be prosecuted.

Good find, and actually this makes sense when you look at how 'most' companies handle the problem. The first thing they do in most cases is send a cease and desist letter (Basically a letter that says stop it heh). If you continue it shows you are willfully infringing on their copyright.

So in other words there is no rules against using the assets, in any Civ product in another Civ Product... And if there were, they would not immediately sue you for damages (Unless you were selling it for profit). But at least send a letter telling you to stop it.

So stop worrying and get to work! LOL :goodjob:

Leaving piracy issues aside...

Would it be possible to mod Bolivar's LH into regular Civ4:BTS?

Hmm, I too am tempted to add Bolivar to my Venezuela mod but I'm not sure "WHAT" can happen!

As for your question...yes MadmanOfALeader, I tried and it is possible...:D

the only thing I noticed with the "colonization" xml was that it doesn't use the "shadernif" tag line.

All the leaderheads can be moved really easily and as they are, along with half the units and buildings, and work fine with no problems.

Some buildings have their textures mess up when you transport them and the terrain graphics also either don't work or have problems.

I hope we are allowed to move them. I've already put all the leaderheads in my personal version of my mod and would like to eventually be able to release it.

Also it should be noted that some of the leaderheads seem to be made for different leaders than what they are eventually used as.

Mangas Coloradas is listed as Cochise in the files (a few natives are listed as someone else actually). Although Bolivar is labeled Bolivar in the files I highly suspect that the leaderhead was made for Cortez or someone else as it doesn't really resemble Bolivar imo.

Also, at least half of the leaderheads are either repeats or actually just really good re-skins, e.g. Champlain is a reskin of Jao

I noticed that about Cochise to (which is who I am going to use the art for in the LH modpack I have been assembling).

I agree on Bolivar, he doesnt really look like him.

I am having a hard time with the Kings.

France is obviously Louis from Civ4 fame
England: I think is Charles II
Netherlands: William, I dont believe its William the Silent, might be a decendent
Spain: Ferdinand I.

in any event I was going to mod the 3 new ones in as well, along with Adams, Logan, Cochise and the Cherokee LH.

i'm going to modify the colonization bolivar to get rid of the goatee and put him the red suit i made for my leaderhead.

on that note many people posted reskins of warlords and BtS leaderheads and firaxis hasn't said anything so would posting colonization leaderheads really matter?

Well all the dds files in the KING_ENGLAND folder are listed as George and I suppose historically George III fits, though they style is also a bit anachronistic. His style is definitely more fitting for Charles II.

Since people have already released some of the graphics (the dutch leaderheads) and someone released the marsh mod for BTS today I'm going to say it's okay. When I'm done with the next version of my mod which uses all the leaderheads in some capacity I'm just going to post it and if there's a problem take it down later

did you have to change anything or you just copied the files over and did the proper xml work?

I have copied over several miscellaneous art files from Civ 4 (arrows,lines,tech buttons) into Colonization and it all seems to work fine, and look just like it did. I haven't tried a unit yet, but I am interested in seeing if it works, and if it does if they look the same.

You do just have to add to the XML just like in Civ 4, but unless that specific XML you want isn't there (Which is a pain, but shouldn't happen if you just wanting to add one in.) you should be fine.:goodjob:

All units and leaderheads from Colonization work fine in Civ 4 as well as any building that doesn't have a gloss file. Terrain - mainly the ocean - has problems.

Speaking of which, can anyone here add the great person glow to the Colonization Great General? It animates attaches to units all the same as in civ 4 - its just missing it's glow.

If that's not too difficult and you have time could you add it to the elder statesman and farmer units (i could use them for my great person mod).

Units

tsentom,

I fpked all the leaderheads and put them in my personal bts mod but found that the game gets slowed down a lot. have you notied this?

I have a GeForce 8600M GT on a 2GHz dual Core laptop with 2GB RAM - so I find it hard to believe its my computer (mainly since Colonization runs great1)

I'm thinking there might be a problem with civ4 compatibility. I don't see it in the civilopedia but I do see it in game. :(

Hey, where are these released Dutch leaderhead files. You may remember me Tsentom, I am trying to get all the native leaderheads from Colonization as well as the Dutch ones and Simon Bolivar (who I am going to use as Philip II of Spain) for a mod I am working on. I was hoping someone would have already released these by now, but I guess I'm wrong.

Anyway this would be helpful to me if you could point me in the right direction, or at least remember to e-mail me the files I asked you for (remember its TRuiz024@gmail.com). I have a feeling if these LHs work good we're going to see a lot of new leaderheads soon.

EDIT: I DLed those dutch leaderheads, and they aren't full files. So if you would be so nice to send me Van der donck that would be splendid of you.

~ekmek

I have all the leaderheads in my personal version of Thomas War that I'm editing for release and haven't noticed any significant slow down. However, I haven't really played any game for a significant length (as I'm mainly just testing to see if things work at the moment. I'll try to do a longer game this weekend and test it). Then again, Thomas War is slightly slower due to me calling the unit and building cost python defines but not by much. I also use a bunch of units and buildings from Colonization. What are the game conditions (map size, players, later in the game etc) when you experience the slowdown and do you mean longer times between turns, or running choppy etc.

My computer is about the same as yours. Also, how did you do the leaderhead artdefines (though I don't see how we would have done the xml different but you never know)

I'm going to try it (using colonization assets in civ4). If anyone with authority would tell me not to, then I'd just keep the mod to myself for personal play. After all, if you own the games legally, you should be able to do with them as you please :).

~ekmek

I have all the leaderheads in my personal version of Thomas War that I'm editing for release and haven't noticed any significant slow down. However, I haven't really played any game for a significant length (as I'm mainly just testing to see if things work at the moment. I'll try to do a longer game this weekend and test it). Then again, Thomas War is slightly slower due to me calling the unit and building cost python defines but not by much. I also use a bunch of units and buildings from Colonization. What are the game conditions (map size, players, later in the game etc) when you experience the slowdown and do you mean longer times between turns, or running choppy etc.

My computer is about the same as yours. Also, how did you do the leaderhead artdefines (though I don't see how we would have done the xml different but you never know)

weird. when I fpk the colonization LHs (and have a separate colonization.fpk) I start the game and its all choppy. but i got rid of the fpk and just copied the graphic files over and the game runs fine. weird. for the record my mod has Varietas Delectat plus all my leaderheads in separate fpks but runs fine. I also put all the fpk in the original assets folder in program files to save space (so I can access them from different mods). only with te colonizationLH.fpk in there does it kill my mod. weird.

Hmm, wierd

Yeah I haven't packed any of the new leaderheads. Waiting till all the new art I'll be including in my next version is in before I pack it all at once.

Maybe we just can't pack the new art files.

Hmm, I too am tempted to add Bolivar to my Venezuela mod but I'm not sure "WHAT" can happen!

As for your question...yes MadmanOfALeader, I tried and it is possible...:D

QUOTE]

What did you do for the button?

Top Bottom