Utility: MapStat

Sure, here's the source for v2.0 Java. The names are statically read, as you know. I hope it still at least compiles, if not works. But I really haven't checked it for a long time.

You're free to do with it what you wish. Other than to sell it on the market ;)

Attachments

• maptsatj2.zip
    17.4 KB · Views: 772
Thanks for providing the sources, chiefpaco, and for allowing me to post a modified version.

Here is a Java MapStat version to handle GOTM modded files. I've called it JMapStat version 2.1, which I hope is not too confusing.

It has had very limited testing here, so please treat it as alpha-to-early beta. I have only checked that the things I've changed work OK with recent GOTM .sav files, and I haven't checked the integrity of the calculation functions, which I have not touched.

Next post will provide the modified source files.

All feedback welcomed :)

[Uploaded file amended to include GNU Public License]

[6 Feb 04. New version uploaded to handle games with no barbarians.
Previous version downloaded 106 times]

Attachments

• jmapstat.zip
    34.8 KB · Views: 844
Here are the source files for JMapStat version 2.1. See previous post for the double-clickable Java application.

[06 Feb 04: Source files updated to work with games with no barbarians.
Previous version downloaded 5 times.]

Attachments

• jmapstat source.zip
    27 KB · Views: 265
AlanH, chiefpaco: thanks to both 0of you. The new Java version works fine also with the gotm files I tested. :goodjob:

Having started on this I'm interested in following it up if there's any demand:

1. Reading through this thread I noticed some comments about the need to ensure you also have enough (or not enough) population to trigger domination. Is this the case? And if so should I add something to JMapStat to provide that information as well?

2. Is there any demand for a JMapStat that can also handle PTW? Or is it only used by Mac players? If it would be of use, I can download some PTW .sav files to reverse engineer, but a quicker and less error-prone way would be to get those bits of source code in the Windows version that handle the PTW data.

Any thoughts?

The Java version was always simple because it was the extent of my Java skills. Lovro's program is much smoother, does much more, and looks a lot better.

In the windows version, there is also population numbers to help figure the domination calculation. Also, the GUI is streamlined since all the tile type information isn't that useful to most people, so it is available as a secondary optional window. Also, an option in the menu lets you pick whether you'd like to see raw numbers or percentages for the data.

Other features Lovro included was to automatically calculate the save after picking the file (eliminates some clicking), a recalculate option, an "open newest" save for convenience, as well as other many nice changes. Don't worry, I didn't skimp on the Java features, it's mostly just that Lovro took over the project when it was young.

PTW support is there on windows so I'd suspect PTW compatibility would not be desired on Java until PTW is on Mac. In any case, I've not seen any requests to keep the Java version much up-to-date in terms of features but if the support is there, go for it. You're welcome to add to it what you wish, AlanH. It's cool Mapstat is still alive after all this time.

Thanks again chiefpaco.

So I guess I can forget PTW, but now that Mac users are first clas citizens in the GOTM world I suspect the demand for a fuller-featured JMapstat might start to grow.

Can someone post a screen shot showing how the current Windows version looks on screen now? Also, does anyone know the population algorithm? >= 2/3 of world pop?

@Lovro: Any chance of a list of the cool features you've added or intend to?

I was thinking about adding a file selection option for the user to designate the Auto save folder, and for the program to run continually, monitoring that folder for new files and recalculating automatically as they arrive. Sounds like that's similar to what you've done.

I installed Mapstat on my windows XP machine and it shows the land tile information, but there are no population numbers. :confused: I'm using PTW. Do the pop figures only work on CIV3 and not PTW? This is gonna be really useful for me as my usual victory is through domination. I'll use it as is, but is there a trick to get the pop numbers to work? I tried to get the excel spreadsheet (can't remember than name of that one - I'm at work, my game PC's @ home) to work but ran out of time last night. I'll try excel again on my own & come back here if I can't get that one to work.

I'm *NOT* at all informed when it comes to JAVA & all that stuff so please excuse my ignorance when it comes to programmer talk. Thanks a ton for the cool program!:goodjob:

Update: I tried it with a regular civ3 .sav file & both the MAPSTAT & Excel spreadsheet worked fine. I guess it is a problem with the PTW .sav. bummer

@handy900: I don't thing [ptw] is the problem, but maybe the patchlevel is. I used mapstat succesfully on [ptw] v1.14f only recently (for avoiding domination in favor of 100K Culture). I got both land and pop displayed. I've upgraded to v1.21f, but I haven't used mapstat yet (can't right now), but if it's not solved by this evening (for me that is ;) - like now + 9 hours), I will give it a try. Btw, I'm talking about the windows version (not the java one).

Thanks mudfoot. No big rush as my current game is on regent huge map 16 Civs. I managed to control all of my continent (except 1 small Korean city in the jungle) but I only have a small foothold on the other continent on the coast of the evil Russian empire. It's one of those games where I play an hour a night & get maybe 4 to 5 turns in (I can't help myself, I micromanage each worker) . Even if I get to play a few extra hours Sunday it will take a while to get close to Domination. It has been a very fun game though! Loads of fun running the Zulus, Ottomans, Celts, Babylonians and I forget who else off my continent!
:rocket2:

I've browsed this thread for a windows Mapstat version that works with ptw 1.21 files as well as with gotm-modded files. I have not been able to find it. :confused: Where can I download such a file, if at all. By the way, which are the latest versions of Mapstat and where can I download them? Many thanks in advance! :crazyeye:

@chiefpaco: may I suggest you convert the very first post of this thread into a status and link page for the MapStat versions available?

Superb idea, Tao! And thanks chiefpaco for the utility! It excels in sheer usefulness!:)

Regrettably, MacOS X 10.3 Panther breaks JMapStat.jar.

AlanH: I suppose, your help is needed. Thanks in advance.

My pre-ordered Panther is lurching towards me even now, as fast as the Apple Store's speeding turtle with three legs can carry it. How anything as small as a few CDs can take ten working days to get anywhere on the planet I fail to comprehend.

Rest assured, when it arrives I shall leave no tern unstoned in my efforts to repair the damage.

So, what happens when you try to run it?

Originally posted by AlanH
My pre-ordered Panther is lurching towards me even now, as fast as the Apple Store's speeding turtle with three legs can carry it. How anything as small as a few CDs can take ten working days to get anywhere on the planet I fail to comprehend.
I got mine from the German Apple Store Friday morning. :)
Rest assured, when it arrives I shall leave no tern unstoned in my efforts to repair the damage.
We will appreciate it. Luckily I was nearly done (and very close to the domination limit) with 6-2 before installing Panther. I kept my fingers crossed for the last few turns.
So, what happens when you try to run it?
It turns into a "zombi" process with no UI which cannot be <alt>-tabbed to. :confused:

I realise the old, pre-gotm version will not help with your current game, but does it behave the same way if you launch it? I suspect it will, as I only changed some internal logic to enable it to handle the non-standard civs, and this sounds like a Swing/Panther compatibility issue.

The Panther has landed. Installation is imminent, then we shall see what is going wrong with JMapStat.

Maybe a smal development?

Did any idea, such as developing your small and usefull program (or just doing a similar one) into bigger one contained informations from demographics of each civilization in a game and maybe even what and how many units each one has, came to your mind? Maybe something like counting people of each nationality in each city as well? It was the most interesting for me and I was doing it always manually :) Untill my Rome Empire has riched over 200 cities ;)

Top Bottom