[SCENARIO] Vertical Solar Sistem Map

how do you merge units to make powerful units?
1) Be playing size matters
2) 3 units of the same kind can merge into a large group (with the limit that you can only merge 1 extra layer beyond the base starting point of a unit per era you've achieved.)
3) To do so, all 3 units must be on the same plot, have not moved, be of the same type and quality, be uninjured, and not be part of any existing selection group (including in a group together - that denies the ability to merge.) There may be other conditions but those are the primary ones. Some units, due to being stealth, spotting, or property control units, cannot split or merge like this.
4) If all conditions are met, select the lead unit to begin the merge mission and the mission to do so should show up (3 rings icon). Once begun, you will be prompted to select the other 2 units you'll be bringing into the merge.

The resulting unit will be 1.5x as strong as the previous level was.

thank you. the AI is using merged units and whipping my army
i am amazed that you taught AI to merge units

thank you. the AI is using merged units and whipping my army
i am amazed that you taught AI to merge units
:) I'm in the middle of planning some seriously devious stuff in AI improvements to come.

Teaching the AI to merge was easy but it proved too difficult to get the AI to figure out appropriate times to split instead. There ARE some strategies for that. All fully merged units can be exploited. But yes, it's a little dismaying trying to defend cities against heavily merged AI attack stacks.

splitting is useful when scouting...but merging is like owowowowowowowo

AI got a dual merge unit (i.e 9-->3-->1) so it was really powerful

splitting is useful when scouting...but merging is like owowowowowowowo

AI got a dual merge unit (i.e 9-->3-->1) so it was really powerful
Splitting can be used with bottleneck promos to get a lot out of a little if you're heavily pressed for production in a desperate defense, using S&D can still be quite lethal, moreso even than the merged unit would've been at times. Not as useful all around but against specifically heavily merged units maybe.

Plus, one can split to load onto ships where the merged may not be able to fit even on merged ships.

Additionally, if you are about to lose a city to a heavily merged force with few units, you might get away with holding them at bay with a lot of split down units to scatter their efforts - a merged unit can still only attack so many times. Unless its a Rhino or something ;)

hahahahaha used this to crush the aztech. their merged unit was 3x power. maybe merged 12-18 units to make that monster. it was ripping my troops to shreads/

made peace and gifted him tech to upgrade the monster. on upgrade it lost its merger bonus and became normal unit and was slaughtered easily

hahahahaha used this to crush the aztech. their merged unit was 3x power. maybe merged 12-18 units to make that monster. it was ripping my troops to shreads/

made peace and gifted him tech to upgrade the monster. on upgrade it lost its merger bonus and became normal unit and was slaughtered easily
That's a bug, not a tactic. Is it replicate-able in your set up, that upgrading a unit always causes the unit to go back to its default size?

hmm... yeah that'd be a major bug problem.

Oooh! Good idea. Split a unit a bunch of times, then upgrade each to LE. Easy way to trade money for power.

Or maybe a bug that could be squashed.

Oooh! Good idea. Split a unit a bunch of times, then upgrade each to LE. Easy way to trade money for power.

Or maybe a bug that could be squashed.
There shouldn't be too many ways, if any, to do this - LE should only upgrade to LE and should only have valid upgrades FROM LE units, though there may be a few places where that's not staying true and they need to be either reconsidered how they are handled or just cutoff.

I think there's a few existing cases right now with cultural units causing a little foulup here and there.

I was curious in this case which units were upgrading to sentinels - those weren't always LE units so are more likely to have a remnant of the old way in place that makes this possible. Will fix this during unit review implementation of course.

I gave Sentinel as an example, because I'd seen non-LE units in my game could upgrade to it. I haven't seen it confirmed that an upgrade to an LE was the culprit, nor that the Sentinel was the LE in question. (But it probably was...)

Anyway checking my xml, UNIT_SPECIAL_INFANTRY and UNIT_WALKER_MECH can upgrade to Sentinel.

best to treat that as a promotion as a modifier

like if a unit has nobel attached to it and gets modifier, it does not loose that on upgrade. similarly split/merge trait should not be lost on upgrade

best to treat that as a promotion as a modifier

like if a unit has nobel attached to it and gets modifier, it does not loose that on upgrade. similarly split/merge trait should not be lost on upgrade
You can't have units that cannot merge or split being merged or split previous to being upgraded into. We may have to put a check in place to ensure that units that are upgrading to units that cannot merge or split have not been merged or split. There are too many exploits if this is allowed - the same ones that keep such units in the position where they cannot be merged or split in the first place.

earth map has many islands and i am missing a hovercraft worker.... sending workers on galleys from island to island now :(

upload_2020-7-20_8-54-43.png

Top Bottom