Very Frustrated

Flash1

Prince
Okay, it all started when I decided to go back to BTS/Colonization after experimenting with some on line games such as Evony.

My previous version of BTS was v3.17 and wanted to update to v3.19. So I used the ingame installer where it froze the hourglass after i hit "install". I checked task manager it said it was not responding. I closed it. I downloaded it from CFC and tried to install it with the exact same results. I even let it sit for at least 30 minutes at one point.

Lord Parkin suggested a fresh install, as I am missing disk 2 of Civ IV, so I bought Civ IV complete. I copied my custom content and deleted the old versions. Once again I went through the previous steps to upgrade without success. This version of BTS came with v3.17

I have an XP machine that runs the program just fine, but I'm very frustrated I can't update BTS. Any suggestions would be quite helpful.

Flash1

The ingame installer hardly ever works for me either. Just download the patch from Firaxis' site and use that installer.

as I said i downloaded the file from civfanatics second with the same results of it freezing.

Error signature:
szAppName: Patch_319.exe
szAppVer: 12.0.0.58855
szModName: hungapp
szModVer: 0.0.0.0
off set: 00000000

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5bc0.dir00\PATCH_319.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5bc0.dir00\appcompat.txt

this is from civfanatics install error

it is a fresh install of civ iv complete. with the patch downloaded from both ingame and civfanatics. I ran both manually and got the same results.

It sounds to me like you might be having a problem with Install Shield. This is the first time I've ever read of someone having a problem installing the standalone patch, so I suspect the problem is not with the game or the patch itself.

Willem,

I know it's weird. I get to the final install button. I hit istall and a very brief box appears and disappears and task manager says it is unresponsive leaving an hourglass icon over install shield. the only way to exit it is by ending it in task manager, and that might take several tries.

Flash

The ingame installer froze for me as well when I tried to download 3.19 but I had no trouble downloading and installing the patch from the Firaxis website.

i tried that too. gave me same freeze.

Willem,
How do I do That?

Oi, I was afraid you'd ask me that! First you need to find where it is on your hard drive. I just had a look in Program Files on my computer but it's not readily apparent, not is it accessable through the Control Panel's Remove Programs option. So you'll need to find it, delete the folder, maybe remove the references for it in your registry, then download it from the Internet and reinstall. That should be the easy part. I just did a Google search and I saw an installer package mentioned there. It doesn't happen very often but sometimes that progra,m does get screwed up so maybe that's what's causing you issue. Maybe!

PS: I found it. It's in Program Files/Common Files. There's no installer that I can see so you'll need to delete the files manually then remove the registry entry. You might try to simply reinstall overtop of the existing file but that may not work. That should be your first step though I suppose.

I found a install shield updater, in the folder. However, I went to their website and can't find a free update. I did however run a registry scan clean and defrag. i hope it helps. I'm redownloading from firaxis.

Okay. I finally got it to work, but I still am not sure why.

But after cleaning the registry and redownloading to patch umpteen times, it finally worked and registered.

Thanks Willem for the inspiration to clean the registry. :)

Flash

Thanks Willem for the inspiration to clean the registry. :)

It's not a bad idea to clean it up once in awhile. It can get screwed up, especially if you add/remove a number of programs. Speaking of which, mine must be getting kind of cluttered by now.

Top Bottom