Viva Trópico 2: A Pure Politics NES!

Excerpts from the "Torch" newsletter, a production of the Corporal's Division of the Militia.

"First and foremost, to our critics, 'Torch' is not intended in a negative way. We put a picture of the statue of liberty up there. We are not anti-American, we are not trying to burn down buildings, we simply want to bring light into darkness and find the path to the future..."

"And yes, Corporal is a ridiculously high rank in this army. I am basically in command of half the armed forces of Tropico and I myself admit that this is ridiculous. I see unemployed men on the streets and I think, if these men were trained as soldiers, if they knew the discipline and honor of this life.... but alas it cannot be so.... for the coinpurse of the army is stretched thin providing "training areas" for my volunteers to practice in. We cannot afford to pay men to learn honor and discipline in the name of Tropico, and so instead our men populate the streets as beggars. What a shame, if only El Presidente would see reason."

"And when the land is cleared, I swear to you my people, the Presidente has his men plant saplings there to grow into more trees. Let me explain, the trees are cut down, the land is prepared for planting, and El Presidente, instead of putting food crops there, plants more trees so that someone can sell lumber again in 60 years. The people starve, but we do not grow food, and instead of subsidizing food costs with our own produce we subsidize gasoline for the 1% of the island who own gas powered cars. Somos el 99%, and we don't own cars, we don't need gasoline, we need another meal this week."

"If El Presidente thinks that his time is better spent debating his policies down at the docks, where no one is in a position for him to take them seriously, then maybe it is. But if this is his job, we should not be paying him so much from the public pocket. When I heard reports of this debate that he had down at the docks it sounded like a scene I had heard many times before.

Some noble young rabble rouser is questioning the policies of the regime, people are starting to understand the problems they face and how they really ought to be solved and suddenly out of nowhere some rambling street urchin arrives and passionately defends the regime based on fantastic projections of "what it might be" that ignores the facts on the ground. But the other day what happened was, that street madman was the President of Tropico.

Rabble rousers are going to rouse rabble, and they will probably do so at the docks. It's where you find the most rabble. But these people are rabble for a reason, no one takes them seriously, their opinions do not matter and they are limited in their ability to change things. If any of these men or women went to the Presidente's office with an idea they would be turned away at the gate, at least until they took a proper bath. But if the concerns of the rabble were concerns of us all they would concern no one because we would solve the problems.

So, Isolated from the rabble in his office, defended by bodyguards. Watched by foreign agents and constantly pressured by the concerns none of us have to face, it is a noble and good instinct that brought the Presidente to the docks.

But he should have listened to the people, he should have found out what they were thinking, how he could help them.

Instead, El Presidente lowered himself to the level of a rabble rouser, nay, he lowered himself to the level of a heckler. He went to the docks to defend himself, not to listen to the people. And he managed to besmirch the dignity of the office.

It's alright though, Mr. President. Many a soul looses their good honor down at the docks."

Pablo Lorenzo Vásquez, better known as El Presidente, was now musing over what to do for the next year as the celebrative fireworks went off near the Presidential Palace, as people celebrated the entrance into the year 1952.

This was his third year as El Presidente, and the elections - which were due to happen in a couple of years, which was what he planned to say in the future law he had been cooking up in his mind - were the chance for either consolidating his power or get kicked out. Well, if the latter happened, he would have the chance to do it again later.

From the balcony of the Presidential Palace, he could see the people celebrating. But he could also see the sorry state of the shacks where people lived, very near to his palace.

The next day, he consulted with Penúltimo (wondering again why Penúltimo's mother had hated him so much so as to give him that name) and was surprised to hear that nearly three-quarters of the people lived in those shacks. He immediately ordered the construction of two Tenements, so that at least twenty people could leave the streets and start having a better life. Hopefully, by this time next year, there would be enough people off the streets that they might swing the vote to his favour.

This was especially worrying, because César Oleastro, who had been a former contendant in the previous elections, had recently proclaimed his candidacy to the next year's elections. It was quite jarring, because he kept saying he had been doing a bad job. He would have loved to see Oleastro sweat blood in the Palace, noticing how things did not work out as he wanted to.

Months later, as the Tenements were about to be finished, he regarded the numbers for the trade with foreign nations, and was appalled. There were hardly any exports, and the imports in basic things like food were high. He ordered the construction of a new Pineapple Farm, which he knew was a favorite food of many people in Trópico, and it could also be sold outside if required. Though, problem was that selling the pineapple just like that might not be enough. Maybe some factory could deal with that part. He also ordered that the size of exports was increased, so as to improve the economy's standing.

He visited the Pineapple Farm as soon as it was finished, and smiled when he saw the first trees growing up. They would soon be big enough to give pineapples. He would taste one of those first pineapples cosecha de Trópico as soon as they became available.

The visit to the farm was, however, marred by the visit of a general, who told him that, while the volunteer militia was coming around somewhat well, it was not enough: they needed professional soldiers. El Presidente inquired about why didn't they train new soldiers, and the general answered that, without an Armory, it would be very difficult to do anything, and that an Army Base might be useful for improving both the training ability and the security of the soldiers. El Presidente promised that, as soon as possible, an Armory would be available for the storage of weapons.

At the end of summer, he started to read the numbers for the import/export. He was pleased to notice that the balance had started to incline towards the export, althought it was not yet favorable. He saw that wood exports had increased much, and he was glad that he had put that order to make tree replanting a law, because, at that rhythm, who knew when would Trópico be bereft of trees?

He now knew that companies outside of Trópico were very interested in Tropican wood. It made sense, of course, because Trópico was a great nation. However, he was sure that the wood could be used to make even more expensive things, like furniture. For that, he ordered his architects to design and then build a factory that could take the wood from the Lumber Mill and make furniture out of them. In less than two months, the Furniture Factory was up and running, to his obvious delight. The number of jobs this Factory gave was sure to increase the support given to him, and shut Oleastro up...

International Events
  • The polio vaccine is developed by Jonas Salk.
  • Elisabeth, Princess of Wales, ascends to the throne after the death of her father George VI, under the name of Elisabeth II.
  • Fulgencio Batista gives a coup d'etat and takes the power in Cuba.
  • The barcode is invented.
  • The Korean War starts to slow down as balance is found around Parallel 38 between the UN troops and the Chinese/North Korean forces.
  • Dwight Eisenhower becomes President of the United States.
  • OXO, the first videogame ever, is developed.
  • The European Coal and Steel Community is formed.

Results
Trópico
3 new adults = +3 Population
+1 Nationalist, +1 Environmentalist, +1 Militarist
New Buildings: 2 Tenements (+20 Housing), 1 Furniture Factory (+10 Jobs), 1 Pineapple Farm (+4 Jobs)
Available Buildings: Clinic (keeps people healthy), Market (makes it easier to bring food to the people), Nursery (helps improve farm output or regrow trees at a faster pace), Cannery (a factory that cans coffee, pineapple or fish to be sold at better prices).
New Exports: Furniture
New Laws:
  • Law 01/52: all people of Trópico have a right to freely express their opinion.
  • Law 02/52: elections will be held every four years, starting from 1949.

Superpowers
+2 United States ("The fact that you care for the freedom of the people means much to us.")
-1 Soviet Union ("The intelligent Tropicanos hate you. And, by intelligent, we mean Communist.")
+51 Europe ("Your good sense for democracy is well liked among us.")

Factions
Pablo Lorenzo Vásquez
+1 Capitalists
+2 Intellectuals

César Oleastro
+1 Capitalists
+1 Communists
-1 Environmentalists
-1 Intellectuals
+2 Militarists

Dovah Kin
+1 Capitalists
-1 Communists

Ernesto Perez Chavez
-1 Nationalists
+1 Communists
-1 Environmentalists
+1 Militarists

Demands
People of Trópico: We want somewhere were our injuries and illnesses may be healed! And we are bored!
Europe: We would like to buy Oil from you, because you sell it cheaper than the Arabs.
Soviet Union: Rum! Our people want good alcohol!
United States: We fancy some nice cigars made with Caribbean Tobacco. Mind selling us some?

Spoiler Ciudad Trópico from the new Furniture Factory :

OOC: I have changed the structure of the building list in the first post, so that the different buildings may become easier to find. I have also differentiated between different kinds of farms and mines to make things a bit more interesting.

An Open Letter to El Presidente

Stand fast El Presidente! We are on the course for glory to Tropico! I commend your construction of the new factory and expansion of the economy through industry and agriculture. I hear that the people of Tropico are calling for entertainment, and I can't agree more. I have to take a ship out to other islands daily to maintain my allotment of feminine company. I believe that we need a cabaret or a pub with suitable standards of dress to keep out the riff-raff. Furthermore, don't let the communists distract you from the ever growing need to expand our economy, the United States has given us a fine suggestion. Let us reap the bounties of Tropico by expanding both our agriculture and industry with the establishment of a tobacco export economy.

I have full confident in your ability as El Presidente to lead us to victory!

Sincerely,

Dovah Kin.

An announcement to the people of Trópico:

"As much as I regret to say this, I am not running for reelection this year.

"Although I am glad to see the growth in Trópico, these past years have been hard on an old man like me. I feel the need to retire from politics.

"I pray for the rise of a powerful figure who cares deeply about the people, and will do his best to work for them in the post of El Presidente.

"Until the elections, however, I will continue to govern over our glorious nation."

OOC: I really don't have either the time or the stamina to write up lots of big political speeches defending my policies, which is kinda the meat of this NES. I'm still going to be fairly active, however, making sure the next president doesn't ruin the country!

BTW Milarqui, I like the new format. Makes it immensely cleaner.

It was enough... this was enough. Pablo Lorenzo Vásquez, El Presidente, would not be able to do this anymore. His personal physician had told him that his taking on the office of El Presidente was taking a big toll on his health, and that he should find either a way to reduce all the stress or start searching for some place to put his tomb. He took the advice quite seriously, but being El Presidente was stressing, and it was impossible to do anything about it. So, he had decided that, in the next elections, he would not present himself for re-election. However, he would keep that announcement back, and say it when the electoral campaign came near...

Taking on his bad health issues, he thought that perhaps it would be a good idea to order the construction of a clinic. It would be very useful, the doctors would be able to take care of the people's illnesses, as well as his. He was not sure whether there would be enough people able to take charge of the clinic, but he was hopeful.

That move was very applauded by the people, who had for years complained about the lack of a healthcare system. The applauses became even greater when it became known that, as soon as the clinic was finished, the builders would take on the construction of a pub.

The clinic, which would be called Clínica Virgen de la Salud, was soon packed to the brims with ill people, and the two doctors that had taken charge of the place were up to their arms in medicaments, recipes and many other things. At least people stopped complaining about their health issues.

Fortunately, the pub was soon built, and that allowed the people to vent their pains in there and then forget it in between the alcohol fumes. The pub soon started to make lots of money, and the three beautiful waitresses were soon assaulted with marriage proposals from drunk guys who were fascinated by their beauty and had had their lips set loose by the alcohol. One of them actually decided to give one of the drunks a chance to have a date with her, something that became a big piece of gossip for months.

Rumour also had it that Father Esteban, one of the priests, had been seen having a drunken binge one night, but no one would corroborate the story, so it soon became an urban legend.

Another urban legend said that Father Esteban had drunkenly threatened the witnesses of his drunken binge with excommunication if they ever confirmed the first urban legend.

Although he was a priest in his free time, Pablo Lorenzo Vásquez did not pay much attention to those legends. He knew that Father Esteban was a rational man, and, while he liked alcohol as much as anybody else, he would not drink as much as the legend said. The fact that one day Esteban woke up with a great headache and thirst had nothing to do with it, of course.

While the enthusiasm for the pub stayed up, El Presidente quietly ordered the construction of a new Tenement. Before, he had done it with the hope that those people would be voting for him. Now, it was because he could not dare to think about how many people were still living in the streets. He hoped to be able to get refuge in a tenement when his stint as El Presidente ended.

It was at the end of September that he was told great news: the pineapples were ready for harvest. He hastily had the masons build a new factory, a cannery, so that those pineapples that were sold in foreign markets did so at higher prices. That would, hopefully, improve the nation's economy, and allow for the expansion of the nation of Trópico.

In November, he made a call for all Tropicanos to stand in front of the Presidential Palace. The air was abuzz with rumours: some said that El Presidente would cancel the elections (that one rumour could be traced back to the Communists), others that he was dying and wanted this to be the last thing he did before he keeled over, and there were a couple of other people that suggested that maybe he would confirm whether Father Esteban had actually threatened to excommunicate the witnesses of his drunkeness.

Pablo Lorenzo Vásquez finally stepped forward, and everybody down shut up, awaiting the words of El Presidente.

"As much as I regret to say this, I am not running for reelection this year."

Murmurs immediately broke among the people. The Communists that had started the "elections will be canceled" rumour suddenly cried in pain as other people slapped them in the back of the head.

"Although I am glad to see the growth in Trópico," El Presidente continued, "these past years have been hard on an old man like me. I feel the need to retire from politics.

"I pray for the rise of a powerful figure who cares deeply about the people, and will do his best to work for them in the post of El Presidente.

"Until the elections, however, I will continue to govern over our glorious nation."

The end of the speech was followed by the Tropicanos with a hearty applause from most of the people. The only ones that did not do it were the Communists. But nobody cared about them.

As Pablo Lorenzo Vásquez entered the Presidential Palace again, he could hear people starting to state their candidacy to the presidency. He hoped that, whoever was chosen, would follow on the path he had opened.

For Trópico.

International Events
  • The United States develops the Hydrogen Bomb.
  • Watson and Crick announce their discovery of the DNA molecule.
  • Josef Stalin dies of a stroke.
  • Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay reach the summit of Mount Everest.
  • The East Germans rise up in the Workers' Rebellion: Soviet troops enter East Berlin.
  • The Castro brothers lead a disastrous assault on the Moncada Barracks.
  • The Korean War ends: the United Nations, the People's Republic of China and North Korea sign an armistice.
  • Konrad Adenauer re-elected as Chancellor of Germany.
  • The Piltdown Man, considered a "missing link" between humans and primates, is announced to be a hoax.
  • The first colour television sets go on sale.

Results
Trópico
+1 EP
6 new adults = +6 Population
+2 Capitalists, +1 Communist, +1 Intellectual, +1 Environmentalist, +1 Religious
New Buildings: 1 Tenement (+10 Housing), 1 Pub (+3 Jobs), 1 Clinic (+3 Jobs), 1 Cannery (+10 Jobs)
Available Buildings: Hospital (a more advanced healthcare facility, needs electricity)
New Exports: Canned Pineapples
New Laws: None
New Jobs: Waitress (No Degree), Doctor (College Degree)

Superpowers
+1 United States ("It is good to see that you are willing to follow the rules of democracy.")
-2 Soviet Union ("Give support to the Communist Party or you will not like the results.")
+5 Europe ("We thank you for the Oil, and your pro-democracy ideas..")

Factions
Pablo Lorenzo Vásquez
+1 Nationalists
+2 Capitalists
+1 Communists
+1 Intellectuals

Dovah Kin
+1 Nationalists
+1 Capitalists

Demands
People of Trópico: We want variation of food! We want electricity!
Europe: Perhaps you should do something to enrich your people's education...
Soviet Union: Where the hell is that RUM??
United States: We would still love to have some of that tobacco of yours...

Spoiler Pub vs School: who wins? :

OOC: Well, that's the end of the first legislature. The pool is open for the candidates (so far, we have one, César Oleastro/DarthNader. I hope to see at least one more candidate, so that this can become something interesting.

Also, I hope that you like the format of the updates, as compared to EQ's. I have tried to make it a bit closer to the game, but, well, putting everything would have been very difficult.

Please, do not forget to say something about the elections, and to cast your vote!

Thanks.

I, Dovah Kin, hereby declare my canidacy for the office of President of Tropico.

As a supporter of Presidente Pablo Vasquez, I wish to continue most of his policies of morality and free market. The world should know the glory and beauty of Tropico, however, which is why I intend on scaling back the development of heavy industry. Tourism is a great source of income for other islands, and we could be another great center of gambling and tourist wealth. My key platforms are the following:

1. To immediately open the doors of Tropico to immigration and tourism.
2. To build a power plant to bring us into the 20th century.
3. To curb Soviet-supported communism in Tropico with the support and friendship of the United States of America.
4. To use our friendship with the United States to improve our army and safety from aggressor nations in the Caribbean and across the world.

Now to less pleasant topics of conversation. Namely I speak of that would-be dictator: Cesar Oleastro. The reason I have put in my canidacy is a private conversation in which he revealed his plans to install a tyranny over Tropico. He has every intention of continuing to keep our island closed off to the world, as his own personal stomping ground. Look at his ties to the army, the only result of his reign would be a military dictatorship and severe oppression of the people. Furthermore he intends to cloud our skies with heavy industry and fill our island with the smog and bleak tenements of Soviet communism. This should not stand! We already possess enough industry to provide a stable abse for the economy. I ask that as Tropican people we stand together and fight against militaristic communism, and vote to elect me as El Presidente.

Changing my job to a doctor plz.
~~

I, Alexander Jameson hereby officially endorse Dovah Kin for the position of El Presidente. I believe he is the best choice to lead Tropico in these dangerous times, we need a person of intelligence and political savvy, not a military man who will do nothing but close off our island from the outside world and establish our nation as Communist. Tropico needs the free market and Capitalism to continue it's growth and reach upwards.

People of Tropico!

Recalling the same private conversations Candidate Kin claims to quote, Kin proves to me that he is a vile snake masquerading as some sort of saint. He has made it quite clear to me that he wishes to turn our beloved island nation into a puppet for American capitalists, making us nothing more than another Banana Republic! He also took pride in the fact that he hatched a new plan to cleanse Tropico's population using mass deportations, specifically the expulsion of socialists, the religious, and supporters a stronger Tropican military. He then wishes to flood Tropico with immigrants, which would water down and dilute the native population. Kin also wants to turn our beautiful island into a haven for American fat-cats under the guise of a tourist industry He does this as to allow for drastically increased American/capitalist control over Tropico! I will not let such travesties happen to my people. I have seen what such men have done in my native Cuba, and I will refuse to let it happen here in my new home!

Here is my pledge to you, Tropico!

I will guarantee Tropico's independence by expanding our native industry and strengthening our armed forces! I will assure that the needs and rights of us Tropicans are addressed before all else! I will make sure that we, God fearing Tropicans, not foreign industrialists, carve out our own destiny!

A vote for Candidate Kin is a vote to destroy everything we have worked hard to build! We will not become another Cuba or Guatemala! We are TROPICO!

VIVA TROPICO!

Cesar Oleastro has begun the typical platform of all Stalin's lackeys and "comrades." His web of lies and deceit will know no bounds, as he insidiously plots to eliminate private propety. The Americans seek only to aid us and build our economy for a more prosperous and democratic Caribbean. He talks fine words about Tropico's independence, but his words are nothing more than the lies of Satan himself. I fully supported President Vazquez's construction of a church as well as his ban on contraception. A prosperous Tropico is a moral one! I support not dens of vice, or of violence. Oleastro's puppet masters in Moscow seek to eliminate God from society. Look only at his support for the communists and his record, any affiliation with the religious is only to mask his true face of communism. The devil himself can quote the words of the Bible, and Cesar Oleastro is indeed, the Devil himself!

Senor Ernesto Chavez:

Every person on Tropico is a matter of great importance to me, before and after I would become President. Several years ago you published a letter about the nature of agriculture upon Tropico. This moved me greatly, as agriculture is a form of economic growth which could benefit us far more than the heavy industry that Oleastro espouses. While I have in the past supported heavy industry, and continue to do so in limited growth, agriculture fits more in the direction of our nation. Not only is it better for our national environment, but it also serves to keep the nature of Tropico more scenic for tourism, another great growth economy. As you pointed out, the most important bit of this platform is that we can reduce the costs of food by our own local production. Increasing the food supply and reducing the cost of food is something which I will accomplish by building more farms and gaining financial benefits and freer and open trade with the United States. I ask for your vote and endorsement to be President.

Sincerely,

Dovah Kin.

An announcment for all Tropicans

After careful consultation with Tropico's finest physician, Alexander Jameson, we are proud to announce the establishment of the Tropican Democratic Party. We stand on a solid platform supported by the three great pillars of Tropican society. We are the voice of freedom, calling for open borders and free trade with the people of the world, rather than an isolated society. We further speak for individual liberty and freedom within Tropico itself. Free press, free media, the trappings of a good society free of the corruption of communism. Furthermore, we seek the backing and support of the Church on Tropico. We believe that politics should be conducted with morals and hope, as a decent society is a religious one. Any Tropican is free to join the Party, assuming that they agree with our beliefs and hopes for the future of Tropico.

Jorge Diaz votes for Dovah Kin.

Also I would like to change my occupation to Electrical Engineer to assist in the creation of the Power plant.

@EQandcivfanatic, DarthNader: Very well. Both of your candidacies have been accepted. Please, prepare yourselves for the debate that will happen after the next Mini-Update: be ready to answer the questions I will make and also write a speech for the end of the debate. You may keep up with the campaign until the Mini-Update is written.

@Everyone else: if you wish to gain points with certain factions, you can make speeches supporting either candidate. I hope that, this time, we will have a greater percentage of votes. Last time, we missed two PC voters. I will send messages to those that haven't said anything so far to make sure that they do not miss the elections.

My vote is for Dovah Kin. A good man for Trópico! I encourage all reasonable men to vote for him.

I'm going to hold off on joining the democratic party for now, but it does intrigue me. I will need to see how well it supports our traditional values.

(People are surrounding a small podium, which has three tables, forming an U. In the central table there are three people: on the center is ANTONIO GIMENO ORDÓÑEZ; on his left sits MANUEL PARDIÑO TURANDO, and on Antonio Gimeno's right sits MARTA MARISCAL FUENTES. The table on the left arm is occupied by DOVAH KIN, while the remaining table has been taken by CÉSAR OLEASTRO)

¡Hola a todos! ¡Bienvenidos al primer Debate Presidencial de Trópico!
Hello, everyone! Welcome to the first Presidential Debate of Trópico!

Hoy es un día soleado, a pesar de que estamos en noviembre. Puede que sea porque vivimos en un clima tropical. ¿Qué opinas, Marta?
It is a sunny day today, despite the fact that it is November. Might be because of the fact that we live in a tropical climate. What do you think, Marta?

Estás en lo cierto, Manuel. Y hoy, en la Plaza de la Independencia, celebramos el Debate Presidencial entre los dos candidatos que aspiran a reemplazar a nuestro anterior Presidente, el amado Pablo Lorenzo Vásquez.
You are right, Manuel. And today, in Independence Square, we celebrate the Presidential Debate between the two candidates that aspire to replace our previous Presidente, the beloved Pablo Lorenzo Vásquez.

Claro que sí, Marta. Y, ahora, iniciamos las presentaciones.
Indeed, Marta. And, now, we start the presentations.

A un lado, tenemos a Dovah Kin, un ingeniero de origen noruego, de tendencia capitalista, que ha declarado su apoyo al establecimiento de una fuerte economía mediante la ampliación de la industria agropecuaria y la creación de una industria turística que traiga inversiones extranjeras.
On one side, we have Dovah Kin, an engineer of Norwegian origin, with capitalist tendencies, who has declared his support for the establishment of a strong economy through the expansion of the farming industry and the creation of a touristic industry that brings foreign investment.

En el otro lado, se encuentra César Oleastro, soldado cubano y candidato a Presidente en las elecciones de 1949, que muestra una clara tendencia pro-comunista y pro-militarista que ha apoyado la creación de industria pesada que produzca bienes de consumo para su venta, además de lanzar guiños a los nacionalistas y a las gentes más religiosas de Trópico.
On the other side stands César Oleastro, Cuban soldier and candidate to Presidente in the 1949 elections, who shows a clear pro-communist and pro-militarist tendency who supports the construction of a heavy industry that produces consumer goods for its selling, as well as giving winks to the nationalists and the most religious people of Trópico.

Ambos candidatos, en sus discursos iniciales, han mostrado una clara enemistad y se han acusado mutuamente de los peores crímenes posibles, además de acusarse el uno al otro de ser lacayos de potencias extranjeras y de que no buscan el beneficio de la nación, sino el propio. Con suerte, no habrá sangre cuando los dos candidatos se encuentren frente a frente.
Both candidates, in their starting speeches, have shown a clear enemity and have accused each other of the worst crimes, as well as of being the lackeys of foreign powers and of not looking for the nation's benefit, but for their own. If we are lucky, there won't be any bloodshed when the candidates meet face to face.

Para dirigir este debate, se encuentra aquí con nosotros el señor Antonio Gimeno Ordóñez, experto en política licenciado en la Universidad de Oxford. Bienvenido, señor Gimeno.
To direct this debate, we have here with us Mr Antonio Gimeno Ordóñez, expert in politics with a degree from Oxford University. Welcome, Mr Gimeno.

Muchas gracias, querida.
Thank you very much, my dear.

Caballeros, espero que ambos hayan dejado cualquier diferencia que tengan entre ustedes a un lado, porque si alguno de ustedes se pasa de la raya, no tengo miedo de utilizar la política de Teddy.
Gentlemen, I hope both of you have left any difference between you aside, because if one of you dares to overstep the mark, I have no fear of using Teddy's politics.

¿Quién es Teddy?
Who is Teddy?

Theodore Roosevelt, querida. Fue él quien dijo "Habla suave y lleva un gran palo", después de todo.
Theodore Roosevelt, my dear. It was him who said "Speak softly and carry a big stick", after all.

No se preocupe, señor Gimeno. No tengo razones para pasarme de la raya durante este debate.
Do not worry, Mr Gimeno. I have no reasons to overstep the mark during this debate.

Así es, señor Gimeno. No tendrá que preocuparse por nuestras diferencias políticas, sabemos como comportarnos como caballeros.
Indeed, Mr Gimeno. You will not have to worry about our political differences, we know how to behave like gentlemen.

(The candidates glare at each other)

Sucio comunista, mejor que cierres la boca.
Dirty Commie, you'd better shut your face.

Os enterraremos, fascista imperialista.
We will bury you, Fascist Imperialist

Muy bien. Si los candidatos están dispuestos, podemos comenzar el debate. Primero haré una batería de preguntas a ambos candidatos, preguntas que tendrán que responder sin hacer referencia alguna a lo que su contrincante diga. Después una breve pausa, y finalmente los dos candidatos podrán hacer un discurso de un máximo de cinco minutos, sin interrupciones por parte del otro candidato, para exponer lo que piensan hacer si son elegidos y por qué debe ser escogido.
Very well. If the candidates are ready, we may begin the debate. First, I will make a series of questions to the candidates, questions they will have to answer without any reference to what their opponent answers. After that, a short pause, and finally both candidates may make a speech of five minutes maximum, without interruptions from the other candidate, to set out what they plan to do if they are chosen and why they should be chosen.

Los comentarios y descalificaciones personales quedan prohibidos. Si alguno de ustedes quiere usarlos, será mejor que se los guarden para después del debate. ¿Queda eso entendido?
Personal and damaging remarks are forbidden. If any of you wishes to use them, better if you keep them for after the debate. Is that understood?

Sí, señor.
Yes, sir.

Sí, señor.
Yes, sir.

Muy bien, entonces. Queda inaugurado este debate.
Very well. This debate is opened.

------------

I hope that you liked this format. It was a cool idea I had, to make them totally different. And a bit funny, too.

As Mr Gimeno says, things are going to work this way: I will give the candidates a series of questions that they will have to answer in a PM, to be sent to me. I will put those answers in a second mini-update, so that you can see what each candidate claims they are going to do in regards to each problem. After that mini-update is written, the two candidates will be allowed to write a long speech to present their platform. That will be the end of the debate. There will be an extra couple of days which the two candidates may use to attract a few more voters to their side, and then I will put the results of the elections.

BTW, the pre-debate speeches have dealt the following changes to people's influence:

Dovah Kin
-1 Nationalists
+2 Capitalists
-2 Communists
+2 Intellectuals
+1 Religious

César Oleastro
+2 Nationalists
-1 Capitalists
+2 Communists

Alexander Jameson
+1 Capitalists

These are the questions the candidates to being El Presidente must answer (on a PM, remember):
  1. If you are elected El Presidente, which is the first thing you are going to concentrate the nation's efforts into?
  2. How do you plan to combat the housing problems Trópico has?
  3. How do you plan to combat the lack of jobs in Trópico?
  4. What are your plans in regards to the demands for an army to protect Trópico?
  5. Are you pro-immigration or anti-immigration?
  6. Do you hold yourself to traditional values or prefer to engage in progressive thought?
  7. What do you say to those people that accuse you of planning to ruin Trópico?
  8. Which is your stance in the current international political climate?
  9. What do you expect to have done when the time for the elections arrives again in four years?
  10. Finally, which are your greatest hopes for Trópico?

Well, that's all for today. Happy Debate!

BTW, no one has said yet anything about the cameo in the update where the 1949 elections' results were announced.

Top Bottom