Viva Trópico 2: A Pure Politics NES!

El Presidente once again shows the wisdom of his rule. With his introduction of the college, El Presidente shows his concerns for the young minds of Tropico to develop it into a premier nation in the 20th century. In fact, I myself will now be teaching at Tropico's first university, guiding the young minds of Tropicans to do glorious things for our nation.

El Presidente was wise in establishing a true police force. Tropicans can now rest easier knowing that criminals will not have a free reign over Tropico, and that those who commit crimes against our beloved nation will pay.

Any fool who thinks Tropico is safe from invasion and meddling is a fool. There are enemies who would like to see our glorious society destroyed from within. Tropico's finest, the soldiers who fight for our beloved homeland, will die before they see our nation destroyed. I applaud El Presidente's decision to construct an Armory so we may be prepared to crush any rebel scum.

Another great year for President Kin. I know who I'll be voting for in this next election.

Is it too late to join?

Player Name: José Pillar Pérez
Player Occupation: Professor of history, political science, and the sole member of the humanitites department at the university
Player Education: College
Player Nationality: Tropico
Nationalists: 2
Capitalists: 0
Communists: 0
Intellectuals: 0
Environmentalists: 0
Religious: 1
Militarists: 1

Yes, remember, feel free to comment on the person who controls men with guns and the police's policies. I certainly won't have you arrested and imprisoned.

El Presidente is doing a magnificent job, may his reign last forever!(or at least till this gun is pointed away from my head)

You know, gents, when I started this NES, I thought you would be inundating this thread with comments, with debates... but it turns out that you only make a couple of comments right after the update and leave it all there. Honest, if you want this NES to be successful, you cannot ask me to do all the work. In order for this NES to actually work, you have to start debates with the president, ask him why he does or does not do something, demand the celebration of new elections, maybe even start your own rebel groups... something, instead of this complete apathy. That's the way dictatorships start, when no one attempts to makes his or her own voice heard.

That's part of the reason I stepped down. I hoped EQandcivfanatic would be able to more fiercely defend his policies than I could. But no one's criticizing him! I would support the NES more, but besides immigration, he follows Vásquez's ideals fairly well.

If you'd like, I wouldn't mind killing Vásquez off and creating someone new specifically to cause some chaos. :mischief:
Or who at least doesn't like Dovah Kin so much.

Politics without power, fame, or corruption is really just the exercise of sitting around and making reasonable decisions.

That really isn't that interesting. They built the church. I can't burn it down. Now what, they're just going to build farms and houses for the citizens? Why stop them, they can't do anything restrictive to me, they can harm and repress my character to the same extent that he can burn down that stupid church.

And besides that, as a radical leftist I am totally out of the loop every election. I can vote for a candidate with whom I agree on nothing on the basis that in Tropico by Proxy he will have no power to make an actually dangerous decision, or I can throw my vote away. But it doesn't make much difference one way or the other.

Maybe if we had a legislature, but again, I don't think we have enough people and even if we did, I mean, is legislative gridlock the seasoning we want to spice things up with?

But, I mean, I'll still be playing if a decision gets made that influences anything in the slightest bit I'll protest it. But I'm still pretty sure that no such decision will or even can be made in this context and I do in fact have better things to do than try to manufacture drama on an NES thread. (especially if it isn't my own NES: Tabula Rasa)

Yeah... well, perhaps the problem is that it does not attract enough attention.

Don't know, perhaps doing something Tropico-like, but in an archipelago and with one island per player? That way, all players would do something, curry favour with the different superpowers, choose what to do... that kind of thing. I could also try to change things so that buildings cost what they do in the game, instead of going for the system we have here.

The only reason I am not posting much is the fact that I don't oppose any of the laws he passed or buildings he built or have in the works.

Though I agree that maybe a Legislature of some sort would work, split Tropico into 3-5 political zones or allow a member of each party to represent their party in a Legislature.

Indeed, and I pledge as El Presidente, that if the updates come quickly, I'll start a new era of tyranny and corruption to rival that of the tsars of Russia! I already have the plans for a giant golden statue of me all drawn up.

I'm not a fan. It breaks away from the purely political part of the Tropico idea. Yeah, this hasn't exactly been windfall of chatter and so forth, but most politics in NESing takes place over AIM or in Private Messages. Non-election updates should go quickly and elections should be debated among the players. Then, when El Presidente makes communism illegal, appoints a llama as the Chief of Medicine, and starts imprisoning the citizens using the rigged justice system he created, comes the real fun.

El Correo de Ciudad Trópico Abre Sus Puertas (January 1st)
My dear Tropicanos, in this first article written for the Correo de Ciudad Trópico, I can't help but be happy at the fact that we can finally express ourselves in some way that is not related to shouting things in the middle of the street, and that we will not have to rely on Juanito Chiflado to know more about what is going on in other nations. Now, our journalists will be able to be in contact with other places and then portray what is happening fairly accurately, unless someone decides to stop us from doing that.

Papá, ¿Dónde Están Esos Señores? ¿Detrás De La Pantalla? (March 12th)
Yesterday, our beloved Presidente inaugurated what many of us had thought would never see: a Cinema! Cinema Trópico opens today its gates to those Tropicanos who have the money to spend and the curiosity to watch the wonderful movies that will be shown there. El Presidente, in a show of self-sacrifice, has promised that he will personally watch all the films that will be shown in the cinema to ensure that nothing that may cause danger to people's minds and eyes is made public. I cannot wait to see what is going to happen there!

Retorcido Tornado Retuerce Vidas Y Edificios (June 10th)
Yesterday, in a date that shall be remembered with infamy, our beloved nation was suddenly and deliberately attacked by a tornado. No sign had been sighted of this tornado, and the weather had been calm, so we must conclude that this was carefully planned to cause the maximum death and destruction. Fortunately for us, this plan was too haphazard and chaotic, and the death and destruction was minimum. However, the tornado attacked a tenement and the pineapple farm. As this happened during the workday, the tenement was empty of people, but the farm had all of its workers, who all deceased due to the tornado. Hans Reichter, Manuel Revolucionario, Violeta Chicano and René Depuis will be buried this afternoon in Trópico's national graveyard after a mass in the Church.

¿Un Cafetito? ¡Te Mantendrá Despierto! (August 7th)
I can now say, without a doubt, that coffee is my favourite drink! I managed to taste several drops of this wonderful drink yesterday, when El Presidente inaugurated a coffee farm in the outskirts of Ciudad Trópico, where the pineapple farm once stood. Although no coffee has been grown yet, El Presidente managed to bring several coffee beans of the same kind that will be grown in the new farm, and after having them toasted and ground into powder, he offered me and the few other people present there a cup of coffee, which was delicious, as I have previously stated. El Presidente promised that, while a good part of the grown coffee will be sold in foreign markets, there will always be enough for all Tropicanos to have a cup of coffee every day.

¡Castigado Sin Salir! (October 12th)
Last year's laws about the Death Penalty had been made in an attempt to reduce crime levels as much as possible. However, those levels have unfortunately risen due to the tornado and overall lack of government support for people, so El Presidente has decided that the best measure against criminals will be the new Prisión Nacional de Trópico. It is expected that policemen will be able to use the new facilities as a reeducation center, so that criminals may be trained again back into becoming once more members of the decent society. Death penalty still remains for those for whom reeducation does not work.

Protegidos Contra El Fuego: ¿Somos Ignífugos Ahora? (December 4th)
After many years of danger lying by the corner, Trópico finally has a fire station! El Presidente cut the red ribbon, and enjoyed for a few minutes the facilities, including a jump down the bar the firemen will use in emergencies. This was properly demonstrated very soon, when a call was made about a little kitty that was stuck in the top of a tree and did not want to come down. Fireman Héctor Delgado was the one who escalated the tree and coaxed the kitty down into the arms of its young owner, who was last seen caressing the kitty as it purred, as Delgado was proclaimed a hero by the people. This action was greeted by the people of Trópico as the start of a great era of friendship with kitties, and of the war against fires.

International Events
  • Elvis Presley enters the United States music charts for the first time, with Heartbreak Hotel.
  • Morocco and Tunisia declare their independence from France.
  • Rocky Marciano retires without losing a professional match.
  • The first Eurovision Song Contest is broadcast from Lugano (Switzerland). Swiss Lys Aissa wins with Refrain.
  • The 1956 Olympic Games equestrian events are held in Stockholm, Sweden.
  • Gamal Abdel Nasser, President of Egypt, nationalizes the Canal of Suez. A British-French-Israeli expedition almost meets with success, but the United States and the Soviet Union pressure them to abandon.
  • Hungary attempts to abandon the Warsaw Pact. Red Army troops invade Hungary.
  • Dwight Eisenhower defeats Adlai Stevenson again for the Presidency of the United States.
  • The non-equestrian events of the 1956 Olympic Games are held in Melbourne, Australia. Many nations choose not to attend as boycott for the Soviet Union's actions in Hungary. The Hungarian water polo team wins the gold medal, but the most remembered match will be the Blood in the Water Match, played against the Soviet team.
  • The drama film And God Created Woman catapults Brigitte Bardot into the public spotlight.
  • Fidel Castro and several of his followers land in Cuba in the boat Granma.

Results
Trópico
5 new adults + 3 immigrants - 4 deaths = +4 Population
-1 Capitalist, +1 Communist, +1 Intellectual, +1 Environmentalist, +1 Religious, +1 Militarists
+1 Criminal
New Buildings: 1 Newspaper (+3 Jobs), 1 Prison (+3 Jobs), 1 Fire Station (+6 Jobs), 1 Coffee Farm (+4 Jobs), 1 Cinema (+2 Jobs)
Lost Buildings: -1 Tenement (-10 Housing), -1 Pineapple Farm (-4 Jobs)
Available Buildings: Radio Station (which can be used by El Presidente to make his speeches heard by the people), Weather Station (El Presidente will know about natural catastrophes before the time).
New Exports: Canned Coffee
Stops Exporting: Pineapple
New Laws:
  • Law 01/1956: all movies screened at the cinema will be first revised by El Presidente to prevent objectionable materials to be seen by the public.
  • Law 02/1956: all movies will have newsreels that will present broadcasts by El Presidente before each movie starts.
New Jobs: Journalist (College Degree), Fireman (High School Degree), Cinema Attendant (No Degree).

Superpowers
+1 United States ("We like that you allow your people to be informed. Be ready to read more about us in Trópico!")
-1 Soviet Union ("The walking scum of Trópico will be punished if they do not act according to the tenets of Marx, Lenin and Stalin.")
+1 Europe ("It is good that you think of the security of your people.")

Factions
Dovah Kin
+1 Capitalists
+1 Intellectuals
+1 Environmentalists
+1 Militarists

Chaim Potok
+1 Intellectuals
+2 Militarists

Demands
People of Trópico: What about the houses?
Europe: Hmmm... we can smell that goat cheese already... oh, no, it's a pair of feet. *vomit*
Soviet Union: We would like to buy some pineapple from you. Is that possible?
United States: Our people wish to visit your shores and tan in your beaches.

Spoiler Main offices of El Correo de Trópico :
I'll get you an image tomorrow.

Top Bottom