• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

W-I-P: Storm Over the Pacifc

Are you sure, Civinator? I think that the turns for the first time the unit's produced are counted from the time all conditions (enabling tech, required resource) are met.

Are you sure, Civinator? I think that the turns for the first time the unit's produced are counted from the time all conditions (enabling tech, required resource) are met.

From the Civ3ConquestsEdit:

"The "Produces Units" flag can be set for either improvements and/or wonders. When checked, the "Units Produced" dialog activates. The dialog allows you to set the unit type that the wonder/improvement produces. The "Frequency" dialog allows you to set the frequency for production of the selected unit. A frequency of "1" indicates that the unit will be produced every turn. The max value for frequency is 100. When it's time for the wonder/improvement to produce a unit, the building checks to see if the player has all necessary resources (if any) that the "building" (not the unit) requires. If the resource requirement is met, the wonder produces the unit."

The time for the wonder/improvement to produce the unit is the last turn of the preset interval. In that turn the prerquisites of resources for the building must be achieved. If this is not the case in that turn the production of the unit is delayed, until the perequisites are met.

The unit is not build in turn 1, if the interval is greater than 1! In turn 1 the construction of the unit is only starting. The logical problem is, that the wonder/improvement itself needs the preset resources to be built, and the building of this improvement is turn 1 of the interval - but in scenarios with fixed maps it is possible to place such an improvement/wonder in a city, even if the perequisites for such a building are not available at the start of the scenario.

Hi EJ, I'm thinking of maybe doing another WWII infantry unit. Is there any unit you are currently missing in your mod that you could use?

トラ・トラ・トラ

Enemy ships spotted, sir!

CLs done and DDs almost done :)

few notes :

my great uncle served on the USS Mobile, a cleveland class CL during the last half of the war. did initial occupation duty in southern japan after the bombs were dropped. he attended reunions up until a few years ago. he passed in oct 2011.

mahan-somers class DD, or really the somers class was named after a local USN hero named Richard Somers. they named a city after his grandfather (according to wiki, i always thought it was the navy guy) called Somers Point. it's about 10 miles south from where i live and i travel through it often on the way to the beach and boardwalk in ocean city, nj :cool: somers was a hero of the triploi war in the early 19th century. the city has a rememberance day each september in honor of somers.

addit: i thik the Gridley class DDs are named after an officer on board the USS Olympia during the Spanish American War. it's him who commodore dewey is alleged to have said, "Gridley, you may fire when ready". one of my books said Gridley was the only casualty of the Battle of Manila Bay. he died of a heart attack.

addit: i thik the Gridley class DDs are named after an officer on board the USS Olympia during the Spanish American War. it's him who commodore dewey is alleged to have said, "Gridley, you may fire when ready". one of my books said Gridley was the only casualty of the Battle of Manila Bay. he died of a heart attack.

Actually, he was the Captain of the Olympia at the time.

He didn't die during the battle, but passed away on June 5th while enroute to the US due to ill health. (Battle of Manila Bay was at the end of April).

The Olympia is actually part of a maritime museum in Philly these days and I have had the opportunity to visit her (along with the New Jersey, which is across the river in New Jersey). Great way to spend a day soaking up history. :D

I have also managed to visit the Mikasa (Admiral Togo's flagship for the Battle of Tsushima). That was a fun day as well.

yes, i remember your visit to the olympia. i saw it the other day actually. have not gone on board of it yet, for some reason (toddler and unimpressed wife). it sits right across the river from the USS NJ which i have been on :) impressive, humongous. i once spent 5 hours on board, just walking around, peeking into all the nooks and crannies.

Even though I'm a pacifist I really do love to poke around in warships. :)

I don't see a need to represent the Thai navy in game as the two coastal ships were not in service at the start of our scenario. (They had a scrape with the Vichy fleet in January of 41 and lost badly). One of the ships was raised and reparied by the Japanese and then used as a training vessel for the rest of the war.

japanese heavy cruisers in :) moving right along.

i just realized the other day that i did not enter the manhattan project stuff into the files :blush: i took another look at the xl sheet i have with all the details. and i thought i needed to strip it down a little more and/or make it easier to navigate. i originally had 7 total techs in there for the nuke stuff. it was kind of cobbled together and unlocked at strange intervals (strange to me). so i removed a bunch of the buildings in Seattle (ie Hanford) to make it easier and less cluttered. original version i came up with for Hanford was to piece together all the big buildings needed for the first large scale reactor (there was 5 or 6 irrc). i stripped it down to just 3 : Hanford Eng Works --- Reactor B --- Little Boy (ie the nuke on nagasaki).

oak ridge still has Clinton Eng Works --- enrichment plant x 3 --- fat boy

los alamos the same : LANL --- Project Y --- Trinity

so there remains three spots that will spawn the nukes. i added in 3 more techs for the nuke line to bring it to 10. these will likely be spread out over the eras as follows : 2 in the first era ('42), 2 in the second and probably 3 in 3rd and 3 in 4th.

i've been waiting quite some time to give this update :) techs are sketched out and plotted. of course, nothing set in stone. but this was a big hurdle, designing it from scratch. and as always, i wait until the end of the design phase to plot it all out b/c no sense in plotting if i don't have all the plots :D iow, i need all the 'stuff' in the editor, units, buildings etc. now that they're pretty much finalized, i could draft the tree. please excuse my chicken scratch :blush:

era1 - 1942 - 35 total game turns
Spoiler :

notes: black outline on the tech box means that all civs can research it. red means Japan only. blue means Allies only, and the neon green highlighter hue is the US nuke line. 1st era is only 35 turns. each game turn equals one (1) week and the scenario starts first week of may 1942. iow, not a full calendar year.

era2 - 1943 - 52 total game turns
Spoiler :

notes: the split boxes you see on the sketch mean that those techs will have the same x/y coordinates and if it says 'Japan Only' then this means that they will require the 'Japan' tech to research. iow, they will not appear on the tree for the allied civs, only Japan. Kly convinced me to do separate trees for the allies and japan. more work for me but not outlandish...i did have to do some maneuvering though.

era3 - 1944 - 52 total game turns
Spoiler :

notes: the biggest era in terms of total techs. will probably set min/max science rate at 2 or 3 (prob 3) min and 30 max. will tier the prices of techs based off of the era (era 1 techs cheap, era2 less cheap, era3 more, and era4 the most). think AoI. this is how it's set up for that old beauty :cool: it worked well and i'm gonna use that foundation for this scenario.

era4 - 1945+ - 52+ total game turns
Spoiler :

notes: yes, i could probably add more to this era. but i'll leave it as is for now. always room to grow and that's ok. but for now, it is what it is and it's not so bad imo ;)

in a nutshell, japan and the allies have separate sea unit tech lines. this was for you, Kly :) however, they share the ground lines (nearly identical amount of units unlocked) and also the air lines (very close as well). so this is why i kept the ground and air as one line (rather than create 2 like for the sea units). there are some air lines (and the ground line for era4 irrc) where i added on civ specific techs at the very end of the line for that era. took a little creativity to squeeze these in but i think this will work.

I can just picture you with a blackboard and marker in the room driving the neighbourhood crazy.

Top Bottom