Websites helpful for IOTs

dragonprobably

The Poster Formerly Known as MartinLuther
So in this thread, we share websites that might be helpful for IOTers and why they are helpful.

• Random.org (Helps you with mechanics of games such as combat and random events, etc.)
  • Random Name Generator (If you need a leader name and you don't know any names from the country, you can randomly generate a name of your leader.)
  • Wabbit (A calculator emulator. If your IOT requires calculation, you can use this one instead of the crappy one your computer comes with.)
  • Fantasy Name Generators (If you need a name for a Fantasy IOT. Suggested by TheGryphonPrince.)
  • Random World Generator (Random Map Maker, for if you want to make an IOT that doesn't take place on this wonderful rock we call home. Suggested by Reus.)
  • Google Docs (Helpful for sharing IOT-related documents. Suggested by Scarlet_King.)
  • Wikipedia (For research. Suggested by Scarlet_King.)
  • /r/Economics (For inspiration for game mechanics. Suggested by Scarlet_King.)
  • /r/geopolitics (For inspiration for in-game diplomacy. Suggested by Scarlet_King.)
  • /r/vexillology/ (When you need a flag for your country.)
  • Flagmaker 1.7 (When you have an idea for a flag in your head and you need to get it out.)
  • Parliament Diagram (So you can show how many people are in parliament. Suggested by Robert Can't.)
  • Hexographer (Easy mapmaker. Has a free version and a paid version. Suggested by Civ'ed.)
  • HeroMachine 3 (Character creator. Suggested by Civ'ed.)
  • /r/worldbuilding (For worldbuilding.)
  • IOT Wiki (A wiki for IOTs. Suggested by Double A.)
  • GeaCron (For looking at maps of the past.)
  • CIA Factbook (For facts on modern countries.)
  • 10 Principles of Economics (Helping you set up a nice in-game economy mechanic. Suggested by Scarlet_King.)
  • IOT Chat (Connect with us. Suggested by Terran Empress.)

If there are any others you guys come up with, I'll add it to the list.

Nice websites! That name generator will be quite useful for me.

I have another name generator though: http://fantasynamegenerators.com/ It's a website that is full of generators of names for whatever prupose (for instance: Planets, bands, religions, etc.). However, the generator is not as good when it comes to RL people's names, but it's pretty solid on everything else.

subbing

Google Documents, period.

Don't have Excel? Google's version is just as good and, unlike random.org, you can do mass rolls with the =RANDBETWEEN() function.

Wikipedia is useful for most topics.

/r/economics and /r/geopolitics are good for RP ideas. The latter, especially, for ideas on how to handle your diplomacy.

Some people like these.
Also if you want to design a flag/Coat of Arms and want a nice symbol/object on it then then you can find all sorts of SVG components on the Wikimedia Commons

Good thing this is a thread and not a Y-Wing.

Picasa Web/Google Photos is a good website for hosting images, if you have a Google account (not Google+ fortunately, a YouTube or something like that is good enough) that is. It's not going to turn paid anytime soon unlike Imageshack and it won't brush your photos unlike Imgur. In addition, just as long as your maps aren't 2048x2048, it won't fill your avaiable space (if you don't have a Google account it's 800x800). Just remember that Big Brother is watching you...

Updated list.

Picasa Web/Google Photos is a good website for hosting images, if you have a Google account (not Google+ fortunately, a YouTube or something like that is good enough) that is. It's not going to turn paid anytime soon unlike Imageshack and it won't brush your photos unlike Imgur. In addition, just as long as your maps aren't 2048x2048, it won't fill your avaiable space (if you don't have a Google account it's 800x800). Just remember that Big Brother is watching you...

I don't really agree with you there. Convince me more.

Hexographer, which is a paid (with a good enough free version) hex map editor. It's got a lot of strengths, but might be slightly time-consuming. You can use it for various things.

Heromachine 3 is a tool I've used a few times in IOTs now. It gives you a sizeable amount of preset arms, legs, eyes, eyebrows, noses etc. etc. so you can plan out your characters and/or soldiers without any artistic capability of your own. It's also completely free.

Why you disagree?

I've used both Google's and Imgur's hosting services, and Imgur has Google beat. I tried to put a map up on Google, but Google shrunk it down. Imgur, on the other hand, if you're logged in (which I am through my Google account anyway), allows you to upload a picture that goes up to 10 megs. For most IOTers, this isn't even in the realm of possibility, and even the IU map is only around 2.5 megs.

However, Imgur allows you to upload pictures quicker, easier, and without modification if the picture is small enough or you're logged in (which allows up to 10 meg pictures).

That is probably why everybody in IOT started with using everything from Tinypic to Imageshack before everybody adopted the Imgur gold standard.

With that said, Imgur.

Hexographer is cool. I liked using it, but $40 for pro is a tad much. Free works just fine if you don't have your standards set too high.

Edit: It is $30 bucks right now on sale. If it ever goes down to $10, I might buy it.

I think your problem with Picasa Web is the /sxxx/ in the URL of the image, on which xxx would be a random number. That limits the resolution and to fix it you have to replace xxx with 0. That shows the image in full resolution.

Basically what I'm talking about is:

1. Go to the image in Picasa
  2. Right click said image and hit View Image
  3. Change the /sxxx/ to /s0/
  4. And it should be fixed ;)

Sure, the process is a little bit clunky, but at least you won't lose your image if no one scans through your IOT after 6 months.

Interesting.

On another note, GoogleDoc's resizing at least allows for a smaller, prettier map.

Spoiler :

It's quite small, but it looks kinda like the failed to embed image. What's it a map of, Wyoming?

Only sticky I am not subbed to get so...subbed.

Top Bottom