What Are You Listening To (Classical Version)?

Antonio Vivaldi – The 4 Seasons: Violin Concerto In G Minor, Op. 8, No. 2, RV 315, "L'estate" (Summer) (Arr. For Recorder): III. Presto

Copied and pasted from tab!

And here is some fun wind band music, some of my favorites from my playing days.

Link to video.

Link to video.

And a fun song by Percy Grainger, based on English folk songs he recorded across the countryside. He used incredibly weird time signatures and patterns to precisely recreate the song the way it was sung to him, including an obviously drunken man in mvt 5, where there is literally no time signature for most of the song, every beat is dictated by the conductor individually.

Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.

Everyone knows and loves the Pines of Rome, but my favorite Respighi piece is a relatively unknown one, called Huntingtower, that he wrote for John Phillip Sousa when the man died.

Link to video.

But this is what I'm listening to right now. It has one of the spookiest openings I've ever heard. I love this whole symphony so much, it captures the whole mood of revolutionary Petrograd: the brooding conflict between the People and the Provisional Government, the sweet countryside at Lenin's Finland hideout in Razliv, as he finishes State and Revolution. The sailors on the Avrora, conducting some battleship diplomacy during the bridge battles... you can almost imagine how it felt to be there in the basement of the Tauride Palace during the Second All-Russian Congress of the Soviets, as delegates from all the workers' soviets of Russia argue about what to do, the cannon fire of the Palace siege echoing periodically in the background. Trotsky calls for all the soviets to veto the Provisional Government and support the measures against them, but Martov counters that what the Bolsheviks are doing is illegal, and refuses to go along with it! What will be done, who will the delegates follow? Its so tense, so epic, so real! I love it. So much of it is captured by that simple cello and bass soli at the beginning and its echoes in the following bars, they say everything.

Link to video.

Zigeunerweissen.

And Camille Saint-Säens

After watching the French movie Tous les matins du monde I found this, played by my fellow countryman Wieland Kuyken:

Link to video.
The movie is a ficticious story about the lifes of both Monsieur de Sainte Colombe and Marin Marais, two of the greatest French viola da gamba players from the baroque era. Clips from the movie can be found on youtube as well.

More Penderecki, this time his Dies Irae. It's quite possibly some of the most horrible, terrifying music I've ever heard, but there's something remarkably beautiful about it.

Top Bottom