What Music are You Listening To? - 67, the Summer of Love

Oh, @everyone; I need input for my new playlist. Listen carefully. Two conditions;

1. Depressing songs.
2. It’s not about heartache and sentimental stuff.

So far there are songs by Moby, Cave, The Cure, Kite and U2* in there.

* Yeah, I know that this may violate condition 2 but I’m the boss right? Right?

If I ever make it up to Boston it's going to be during baseball season and during a weekend when the Sox are playing at home.

Oh, @everyone; I need input for my new playlist. Listen carefully. Two conditions;

1. Depressing songs.

Live, this was played louder than Iron Maiden and Pantera combined.
Some people lie in Hell
Many bastards succeed
But I, I've learned nothing
I can't even elegantly bleed
Out the poison blood of failure

And a couple more if you're still happy.

Last edited:

1. Depressing songs.

"Comfortably Numb" (1979) by Pink Floyd. You could include the whole album, really, as it's a concept/story album about a man living with depression.

"Hunger Strike" (1991) by Temple of the Dog. The whole album is a eulogy for Andrew Wood, lead singer of Mother Love Bone, who died of a heroin overdose in 1990. The first of many, unfortunately. Chris Cornell, who's on this album, died by suicide 26 years later.

"Baker Street" (1978) by Gerry Rafferty. This is Rafferty writing about his own depression and alcoholism, which ultimately killed him. His ex-wife said after his death, "There was no hope. I would never have left him if there'd been a glimmer of a chance of him recovering."

I knew I loved you that Halloween
When I saw you, and I got mad
You came in with someone that wasn't me
And I've never felt a pain that bad
So I cried in my car at the likker store
And I almost relapsed
We were friends, but I wanted more --
I was hoping...
You wanted me back.
And you met me for coffee at my favorite place,
Right by the railroad track
You touched my hand and you felt insane
Our hearts didn't cut us no slack
You never get over love like that

More songs about depression.

"Watch Me Bleed" (1983) by Tears for Fears - When I was in high school, Tears for Fears' album Song From the Big Chair was everywhere - that's the one with "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" on it - and I kind of hated it. Maybe 15 years later, I gave The Hurting (1983) a real listen. It turns out it's a really good album, and I've been listening to it ever since. You can sorta tell what it's about, just from the cover, a little boy covering his eyes in a white field of nothing.

"Miss Misery" (1998) by Elliott Smith - Smith's whole catalogue is dour. You could just reach into a bag and pick one out. He suffered from ADHD and self-medicated with copious amounts of alcohol, and he died by suicide in 2003. I think "Miss Misery" may be my favorite of his, but...

...but if you've already got enough songs about heartbreak on your list, you could go with "Between the Bars" (1997), as he sings about alcoholism.

1. Depressing songs.
Depending on how heavy you want to go, you could try Katatonia. Their first two albums are death metal but afterwards move onto a clean, softer sound.

For something that's heavier, there's Evergrey.

Or Redemption.

Last edited:
My favorite Elliot Smith tune.

Thanks for your tips people 😎 Will listen carefully.

Oh, and a piece of music too?

Here is Laibach;

I woke up in a cold sweat realizing that someone asked for depressing music and nobody mentioned Joy Division. I mean, c'mon, people. What're we even doing here? Another artist who died by suicide, incidentally.

"New Dawn Fades" (1979) by Joy Division

It was me, waiting for me
Hoping for something more
Me, seeing me this time
Hoping for something else

You know when you keep opening the fridge, hoping there'll be something different in there that you didn't see before, and there isn't, and you're bummed out, but really, what were you expecting? Depression is getting that feeling when you look in the mirror.

Wikipedia says Antoine Fuqua used this in the soundtrack for The Equalizer (2014) with Denzel Washington, which I don't remember at all, but that's cool.

Another band that seems like an open goal...

"Sixteen Days/Gathering Dust" (1983) by This Mortal Coil.

This is a cover of two Modern English songs, with lead vocals by Elizabeth Fraser of Cocteau Twins, and backing vocals by Cinder of Cindytalk.

Okay, wow, here's a crazy window on an alternate universe: According to Wikipedia, Cinder met John Taylor and Nick Rhodes while she was visiting London in 1978. They tried to recruit her for the band they were putting together, even taking her back to Birmingham to sit in on some early rehearsals. The band they were putting together? Duran Duran. Would they have achieved the same level of success with a different singer? Who knows. As it happens, they did go through some lineup changes before finding Simon Le Bon and signing with EMI in 1980.

Winterreise

Top Bottom