What Happend to the Terrain?

@Shoobs: My opinion is that all promotions within a terrain category should give combat bonuses to all the terrains in that category, so that "Arctic I" promotion gives just as much combat bonus to ice terrain as to permafrost, tundra, taiga and rocky cold (not a confirmed terrain yet.). Removing terrain damage should be how it already is though, so you need all arctic promotions to traverse the coldest (ice) terrain without taking damage.
That would help, to a degree, but there is a significant portion of the world where any of these actually proves to be more of a hinderance or a tactical annoyance. I'm with Joe on this one. They CAN be useful, but with how no two terrains types except for "artic" tends to stick together, even on really large maps, you can end up with units that you want to be useful on one terrain be utterly crap on attack, forcing them to attack you in your preffered terrain....which can be avoided by just walking past you.

That would help, to a degree, but there is a significant portion of the world where any of these actually proves to be more of a hinderance or a tactical annoyance. I'm with Joe on this one. They CAN be useful, but with how no two terrains types except for "artic" tends to stick together, even on really large maps, you can end up with units that you want to be useful on one terrain be utterly crap on attack, forcing them to attack you in your preffered terrain....which can be avoided by just walking past you.
I too agree with Joe, 3 levels are more than enough for those terrain specific promos.

Thought I should hear your opinion on it.
Is it something I can just go ahead and add to the SVN, if so, do you have a suggestion for what to name it?
I was simply thinking "Rocky (Cold)"
I'm also considering making a rocky type called "Rocky (warm)" as well, it would be much more light brownish, and should be located around deserts, dunes and salt flats.

Should I add more green details to the regular rocky and more blue tints in the cold rocky?

This seem like the same thing as my "Polar Rocky". Perhaps you could call it "Cold Rocky". Also can you use the "Rugged" terrain from the Dune Wars mod to make an "Arid Rocky" please.

My two cents that can be easily ignored... I think we should not have the these put into a line that has TWO MORE deep. I already don't use these enough as I feel terrain specific promotions is often a poor upgrade to begin with due to the sheer variety of all the terrains in play... so I feel I would have even LESS reason to utilize these.

Really i love this promotion line already. But it might be the fact that I use terrain damage.That is the big draw of these promotions to negate the terrain damage from them.

@Shoobs: My opinion is that all promotions within a terrain category should give combat bonuses to all the terrains in that category, so that "Arctic I" promotion gives just as much combat bonus to ice terrain as to permafrost, tundra, taiga and rocky cold (not a confirmed terrain yet.). Removing terrain damage should be how it already is though, so you need all arctic promotions to traverse the coldest (ice) terrain without taking damage.

The reason they were separate is because you could not negate terrain damage from multiple terrains on the same promotion.

But getting that Ice Promo (now level III) at level IV will be extremely difficult and even more narrowly defined.

This has been a Big gripe of mine for over 4 years now. We have Too Many promos and it's only getting worse not better. Overspecialized and overburdened system makes for a flawed and hard to manage system Imhpo.

Disclaimer: the above is all my opinion and can not construed as concrete fact.

This would make unique units and polar/desert units like mammoths and camels even more useful if everyone cannot get it easily.

I feel the more promotions the better since you can custom make your units. Also infinite XP setting is basically mandatory now if you want to explore all the stuff.

A long time ago i had a game where i was loosing bad to the AI and my arctic cities saved me because the AI did not have the arctic promotions and I did. Basically the arctic became my safe zone where they could not reach me and I could rebuild. However I think the AI is much better now and will avoid the terrain when possible.

I too agree with Joe, 3 levels are more than enough for those terrain specific promos.

Like I said above I think you need one for each terrain damage terrain. I do not think you can negate more than one type on one. If we can combine then i would do it like this ...

Arctic Combat I = Taiga / Tundra
Arctic Combat II = Permiforst / Cold Rocky
Arctic Combat III = Ice / Glacier

Where Arctic 2 requires Rugged Combat 1 and Arctic Combat 1

Ok an updated list ...

Arctic Combat I = Taiga and Tundra
Arctic Combat II = Permafrost and Cold Rocky
Arctic Combat III = Ice and Glacier

Arctic Combat 2 requires Arctic Combat 1 and Rugged Combat 1.

Desert Combat I = Arid Scrub and Semi-Arid Desert
Desert Combat II = Arid Desert and Arid Rocky
Desert Combat III = Dunes and Salt Flats

Desert Combat 2 requires Desert Combat 1 and Rugged Combat 1.

Rugged Combat I = Chaparral and Lush Rocky
Rugged Combat II = Rocky Barren and Lush Volcanic
Rugged Combat III = Active Volcanic and Polar Volcanic

Rugged Combat 3 requires Rugged Combat 2 and Arctic Combat 2.

Wetland Combat I = Lush and Muddy
Wetland Combat II = Marsh and Bog/Fen
Wetland Combat III = Estuary

Fieldsman Combat I = Grassland and Plains
Fieldsman Combat II = Savannah and Humid Scrub
Fieldsman Combat III = Rich Loam

What do you guys think? Better?

Considerably more palpable. I'm ok with this. The reason why I had put up such a strong resistance is because I have gotten level 20 units before, and it requires basically FOREVER to get units to this level, and even then at level 20, I was only starting to consider getting the terrain combat promotions.

Also can you use the "Rugged" terrain from the Dune Wars mod to make an "Arid Rocky" please.
So you don't want me to base "Arid Rocky" on "Rocky" in the same way as I did with "Cold Rocky"; I can live with that. Though, I want to say that I would prefer all rocky terrains to have the same underlying style as they would then blend better when placed adjacent to each other, and I think many players would appreciate the simplicity in it.

The "Rugged" terrain from the Dune Wars was the one used in C2C for rocky before I changed it, right?

Curse you and your sound logic. Yeah all the "Rocky" terrain should look in the same style. So go for it.

I just like that terrain texture. But I don't know what it would be good for if not for Rocky. I guess just make the Mars Rocky use that texture from Dune Wars then. And yes it is the old texture that was used in C2C for Rocky before. Atleast if its used for Martian Rocky it will be in the mod somewhere.

On a side note I think we should have a Lush Rocky as well.

Lush Rocky (New)
+3 :food:
+1 :hammers:
+1 :commerce: Adjacent to River
Movement Cost +2
Improvement take +25% to Build
Defending Units get +25% Strength

Texture would be the same as the other but with lots of Green on it.

So in total we would have ...

Cold Rocky = Same as Rocky but Polar damage and spawns in cold climates.
Arid Rocky = Same as Rocky but Desert damage and spawns in arid climates.
Rocky = The standard rocky that spawns in temperate regions.
Lush Rocky = New stats as above. Spawns in tropical more hot and humid climates.

Note that standard Rocky could be called "Barren Rocky" if you want.

I just like that terrain texture. But I don't know what it would be good for if not for Rocky. I guess just make the Mars Rocky use that texture from Dune Wars then. And yes it is the old texture that was used in C2C for Rocky before. Atleast if its used for Martian Rocky it will be in the mod somewhere.
It would work well as a mars terrain.
On a side note I think we should have a Lush Rocky as well.

Lush Rocky (New)
+3 :food:
+1 :hammers:
+1 :commerce: Adjacent to River
Movement Cost +2
Improvement take +25% to Build
Defending Units get +25% Strength
Sure, but I think 3 food is a bit much. ^^

It was to combine the Rocky and the Lush terrain into 1 new terrain.
Still, lush would have much better soil for large plant growth than Lush Rocky would.
2 :food: seems more reasonable.
The kinds of plant that grow on good and deep soil must be more plentiful or nutritious than plants that grow in the good but shallow soils found scattered on and around the ground-rocks.

In my mind, having the same amount of :food: for "Lush Rocky" as for "Lush" terrain makes me feel Lush Rocky is much more lush than the "Lush" terrain.

Edit:
Found a picture that is pretty close to what I imagine when visualizing a "Lush Rocky" terrain.

Last edited:
Still, lush would have much better soil for large plant growth than Lush Rocky would.
The kinds of plant that grow on good and deep soil must be more plentiful or nutritious than plants that grow in the good but shallow soils found scattered on and around the ground-rocks.

In my mind, having the same amount of :food: for "Lush Rocky" as for "Lush" terrain makes me feel Lush Rocky is much more lush than the "Lush" terrain.

Edit:
Found a picture that is pretty close to what I imagine when visualizing a "Lush Rocky" terrain.
Agreed... it should be less additive and more averaging.

Lush Rocky should be called 'Slick'.
Arid Rocky should be called 'Badlands'.
Cold Rocky should be called 'Jagged'.

As for promotions:

I agree that combat modifications should be gradual throughout the whole of the promotionline but the immunities to the terrain damage should be one at a time. HOWEVER, I do still, in the not all that long term, plan to dramatically adjust how terrain damage works. It would be 'warm' damage or 'cold' damage and you would develop resistance to either type and the terrains would apply those types more damaging as the terrain becomes more severe. There could be some other types of damage as well but this is the simplistic explanation of the plan. It gets down to 'elemental damage' modifications and will be something we can expect to see soon enough that it's coming up before the Naval Review can be completely implemented.

Whatever we do regarding ICE, (I like the idea of it being a feature rather than a terrain) eventually we'll need to make it so that land units can walk across it whether it is on the water or not. This would be a surface mechanism much like tunnels are a sub-surface one so would have their own unique movement rules. So there again, that's going to be necessary and will be implemented before Nomadic Start and Naval Review projects are completed as well. So it's not far off on the horizon either.

One thing I do want to impress upon Hydro here... Major changes to terrains mean a LOT of work for the map scripts. Just bear that in mind that major proposals are going to tax Toffer a lot and he's got a hell of a wide skillset for us, mapscripts being but one. He may need some help with some pretty complicated stuff that's out of my skillset if we get all that complex here so please do respect him drawing whatever lines he feels he needs to on that. That said, I'm loving your sense of symmetry and 'house of mirror' style design process. It's very much a big reason why we harmonize so well on this mod.

All these changes aren't going to make us have only one valid mapscript are they?

EDIT: Thanks on the names comment btw... I thought them up earlier today but was on my phone.

Last edited:
One thing I do want to impress upon Hydro here... Major changes to terrains mean a LOT of work for the map scripts. Just bear that in mind that major proposals are going to tax Toffer a lot and he's got a hell of a wide skillset for us, .

Also for pre-made maps.

I have not looked at my 2 maps for over a year (not played them).

I should really look at adding Sea terrains to them next.

Then all these new terrain additions. :cry::thumbsup:

Well I guess the maps will still work without these new additions. But they should be added at some stage, when agreed upon.

Last edited:

Edit:

Fair enough 2 will be fine.

Also for pre-made maps.

I have not looked at my 2 maps for over a year (not played them).

I should really look at adding Sea terrains to them next.

Then all these new terrain additions. :cry::thumbsup:

Well I guess the maps will still work without these new additions. But they should be added at some stage, when agreed upon.

Premade maps will be a pain to update but they should not be all that hard to find which rocky terrain gets converted to the new type of rocky types. Especially in the Polar and Arid parts of a map. Lush Rocky might be harder.

An updated chart with the new proposed terrain as well as one i still am requesting.

Attachments

• c2cterrain5.jpg
    c2cterrain5.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 211
Top Bottom