What happend to Tunisia?

Still fighting going on but much less. people are still being killed

I think they are in the closing stages if the Revolution. Tunisia got overshadowed by Egypt.

Don't care.
My precious attention has moved on to Egypt.

Well the party of the previous president have been forbidden, which suggests they have a government of sorts (don't know whether it got sacked in the first place though).

It's a good question because if Tunisia turns into anarchy or get a islamist government then Mubarak will get more support.

Why print news on Tunisia when it's Superbowl season? Egypt can turn a profit right now, so we deserve to be kept up on that.

OK. I am tunisian, so I'll summerize the news for you:
1. The new government formed on feb 1st is accepted by almost everyone including the powerful UGTT (Union Generale des Travailleurs Tunisiens: General Union of Tunisian Workers). The changes, compared to the first govt (formed on January 20th), consisted in the exclusion of many ministers coming from the Party of the ex-president (RCD: Rassemblement Constitutionnel et Démocratique). The new government is now able to truly work.
2. The new Interior Minister excluded many top managers in his ministry because they were not doing their job correctly, if not responsible for many law violations. Security Forces were the backbone of Ben Ali’s regime, so there is nothing surprising here.
3. The new Interior Minister freezed all RCD activities. He started a judiciary action to dissolve the party. It seems that many security problems were sponsored by RCD branches. In all cases, many Tunisians want the RCD dissolved.
4. Every day life is almost back to normal, everyone I know in Tunisia is back to work, school, etc.
5. One of the top priorities is to deal with the belongings of the “mafia” that ruled Tunisia in the previous years. So many companies are placed under gvt supervision, many have new CEO, etc. Tunisia is also trying to coordinate its effort with other countries to get back all the money stolen by Ben Ali baba and the 40 thieves ;-)
6. Another priority is to get back the economy to full speed. A major challenge is to save the next summer tourist season.
7. MORE IMPOTANTLY, TUNISIANS LIVE A “PERIOD OF GRACE”. THEY ARE VERY PROUD ABOUT WHAT THEY ACHIEVED AND ABOUT WHAT THEIR REVOLUTION HAS TRIGGERED ALL OVER THE ME. THEY ARE ASLO ENJOYING THE NEWLY ACQUIRED FREEDOM. Seen from the West, where freedom is basically a given, as natural as breathing, that may seems odd, as many people do not appreciate how precious it is to be able to say what you think and choose who to elect. When you’ve spent all your life under dictatorship, feeling free is as good as breathing after 5 minutes under water ;-)

Congratulations to the Tunisians. I think if one people in the ME could manage that, it was them, and even if there were some casualties, it remains a relatively bloodess revolution.
I hope the transition will work well and everyone will be happy in the end.

7. MORE IMPOTANTLY, TUNISIANS LIVE A “PERIOD OF GRACE”. THEY ARE VERY PROUD ABOUT WHAT THEY ACHIEVED AND ABOUT WHAT THEIR REVOLUTION HAS TRIGGERED ALL OVER THE ME. THEY ARE ASLO ENJOYING THE NEWLY ACQUIRED FREEDOM. Seen from the West, where freedom is basically a given, as natural as breathing, that may seems odd, as many people do not appreciate how precious it is to be able to say what you think and choose who to elect. When you’ve spent all your life under dictatorship, feeling free is as good as breathing after 5 minutes under water ;-)

I foresee boats full of italian emigrants sailing (yes, sailing) to Tunisia in a near future.

They'd be welcome. Tunisia always had a important Italian community, back from Roman times ;-),
Claudia Cardinale is among the famous tunisian born italian.

From BBC
Tunisian police have shot dead at least two people during a protest in the north-western town of Kef.

Officers opened fire after a crowd attacked and burned a police station, demanding the resignation of the police chief they accused of abuse of power.

Unconfirmed reports say another two people died on the way to hospital

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...lOGSDw&usg=AFQjCNGTnsBThzmzqJEjL6f2V1WS5_quHw

I just heard almost this exact same story on Fox News, except instead of north-western town of Kef, they said north-eastern region of Sinia in Egypt.

Top Bottom