What has happened to puppet cities?

Just registered to comment on this, a long time civ player and lurker here since CiV...

I was playing on king/continents/standard and after puppeting all of my own continent I was planning to go for science victory. Byzantium however was uncomfortably close to cultural victory on the other continent so after building a navy I was planning to puppet them too. Their first city went as planned (at which point I had 11 puppets), but with Constantinople the game did not offer the choice and just annexed the city. I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with it being their capital, but next city (Nicaea) was also auto-annexed at which point I saved and quit.

Now I tested with autosaves and re-taking Constantinople worked as usual and it asked whether I wanted to puppet/annex.

I have no mods and play with pretty much standard settings (except for raging barbs).

Sounds like you've gotten the patch auto-annex bug. Try this:

Go to your Steam Library, right click on CiV in the top left menu, select Properties, go to the "Local Files" tab and click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" and wait for it to do its thing.

When I did that last night, it said I was missing two files, which it then downloaded. Afterwards, no more auto-annex bug (and it seemed a few other minor bugs went away).

Are you guys playing with any mods? Quick movement/combat? Thanks!

Nope non....
I also encounter that doing a diplo marriage with Austria it does give the choice to annex or puppet the city state and i can't build a courthouse after annexing a cs....
See bug reports for the save files.

Sounds like you've gotten the patch auto-annex bug. Try this:

Go to your Steam Library, right click on CiV in the top left menu, select Properties, go to the "Local Files" tab and click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" and wait for it to do its thing.

When I did that last night, it said I was missing two files, which it then downloaded. Afterwards, no more auto-annex bug (and it seemed a few other minor bugs went away).

Indeed there was two files failing to verify and after that was fixed I did not get the auto-annex bug in that game anymore. However I conquered only three cities after that before winning domination, so it might not have triggered as it worked most of the time (and for all of the first 11 cities).

Indeed there was two files failing to verify and after that was fixed I did not get the auto-annex bug in that game anymore. However I conquered only three cities after that before winning domination, so it might not have triggered as it worked most of the time (and for all of the first 11 cities).

Unfortunately, those bugs tend to be "solved" after restarting the game. So, a data verification isn't necessarily the solution. But it won't harm either...

Anyway, this bug definitely seems to be more frequent after the patch. I got it too, now and voices about it are to many to be the "old" bug.

Also having this issue post-patch. Found two files during steam validation that had to be redownloaded. Wont be able to confirm fix until later this week, but it was occurring every sacking of a city during single and MP games

How strange. No issue here at all after taking two cities.

I only get the choice to either annex or puppet but raze is not an option.

Also having this issue post-patch. Found two files during steam validation that had to be redownloaded. Wont be able to confirm fix until later this week, but it was occurring every sacking of a city during single and MP games

just validated mine too and it also said 2 files couldnt be validated but wouldnt say which ones. i only have one mod i tried over a year ago (a clock mod to get an achievement) but never enabled it since. i dont know what the other file might be if the mod was one of them.

I have the same 2 files couldnt be validated however after updating and running the file checker again it still says there are two files that can't be validated.

I verified the game cache and had those two missing/broken files as well and everything is working fine for me. My newly conquered Celtic and Russian cities are all puppets. I didn't try to play before I verified my cache though, so I'm not sure if that would have done it then.

Is there any circumstance which would prevent razing leaving only puppet and annex?

Been playing a few games since the patch and I have no issues with annexing/keeping as puppet/raising cities choice.

The one thing I have noticed is that AI civs start annexing cities themselves. I have probably seen one or two games where large AI civ's have annexed their puppets, since the patch they all do and this makes for a much better game imho.

Thanks for everyone's input on this. The issue is caused by certain keyboard shortcuts being used for UI. The work-around for the time being is to not use F-key shortcuts, and use the mouse to open pop-up UI (like victory overview, religion overview, demographics, etc.). Once the glitch starts occurring, it can stop all pop-ups from appearing.

FYI for those noting files being reacquired during validation--

With most Steam titles, a file or two will always fail validation and be reacquired. There is nothing wrong with these files. They have unique checksum values and therefore will never pass validation. Typically, this will be the main executable and/or the primary game dll.

These are not the source of the bug in question. Try validating again and you'll get the same result every time. Check the timestamps in your game folder to see what's being modified.

Just a friendly PSA :)

edit: whoops, thanks Dennis :blush:

FYI for those noting files being reacquired during validation--

With most Steam titles, a file or two will always fail validation and be reacquired. There is nothing wrong with these files. They have unique checksum values and therefore will never pass validation. Typically, this will be the main executable and/or the primary game dll.

These are not the source of the bug in question. Try validating again and you'll get the same result every time. Check the timestamps in your game folder to see what's being modified.

Just a friendly PSA :)

edit: whoops, thanks Dennis :blush:

I've never seen certain files always fail validating on Steam before. In fact, prior to this patch the only time Steam had to reacquire any Civ 5 files when I validated is if I've edited an xml file.

Top Bottom