• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What is yor starting strategy?

Mehmed II

Ottoman Empire
When I found my first city, I always follow this training "list?" (I don't know the right word)

1. Warrior, to defend the city.
2. Worker, to do workers stuff.
3. Warrior, to find a place for a new city.
4. Settler, to found city.
5. Warrior, to protect the settler on his way to the tile where the new city will be.
(Only in same cases when city is too far away)

What is your starting strategy, any tips?

Warrior
Aim for bronze working as quickly as possibly
Worker
Chop Rush second worker
double chop rush settler
warrior (my first worker heads out with the settler)
Research Iron working if not already doing so

Depending on neighbors and whether their human or not
Archer if human
followed by settler

Settler if computer
Axeman/archer

After that its axe spamming time

For the 1st 2000 years, you do not need to worry about defending your city, it is better to build workers, Settlers and Fish boats. Build a worrior only when you are growing the city.

Other than that, there are too many factors to consider when planning the openning strategy: Location(land or coastal), Civ traits, starting resources, terrains & techs and etc.

i never protect my first city before i have multiple other cities out...

Worker
Warrior (until size 2)
Settler
Finish Warrior/Building Barracks (until size 3)
Worker
Settler

From now on it's dependable what i build. :)
My Start gives me 3 workers with 2 cities fast, and they chop barb defense for me quick ;)

I don't have any defense in my city until i station a chariot/axe there. More useful fogbusting so i get less barbs at me :p

(Research path: ---> Animal Husbandry (unless i got no animals in my capitol, then it's BW) - The Wheel - (mining) - Bronze Working
I like Chariots to defend from barbs better than axes in the start :)

Somebody recommended this here, and it's worked pretty well for me. It really only works for sure when you have an initial square providing 3 food (flood plain, oasis, livestock animal, grain, etc), and you started with mining.

Start building warrior, and researching bronze working. When you get to city size 2, switch to a worker. Then when you finish bronze working, switch to slavery and the wroker should be ready to whip. The excess hammers from the whip may then be enough to get you your warrior, which you can use to explore or defend.

Of course, if I start with fishing, and I have available seafood, then always start with the work boats.

worker first most of the time. first couple techs worker techs including the important bronzeworking.

i usually open with worker-warrior (grow to size 2)-settler-worker-warrior (grow to size 3)-settler-worker. seems to work alright for me. if i have copper (or horses as egypt/persia) i'll forgo the latter warrior-settler-worker and start on barracks instead while scouting out my closest neighbour's capital...

1. Warrior to defend capitol
-Aiming for archery as fast as possible
2. Warrior for scouting/helping my first settlers finding a good place for my second city
-If I find a civilization close to me, I stop the settler idea and produce a army good enough to attack the cities which this civilization has. Playing multiplayer it becomes easy, cause there are so many people out there not focusing on their army instead on future efficeny.
3. Settler (if my capitol has reached 3, if not I keep on making more warriors/archers)
4. Archer to get a strong defence which is important when you play multiplayer
-After this I start to aim for Bronze Working to find the copper resource and plan a future attack if that is needed to gain it.

1. Warrior to defend capitol
-Aiming for archery as fast as possible
2. Warrior for scouting/helping my first settlers finding a good place for my second city
-If I find a civilization close to me, I stop the settler idea and produce a army good enough to attack the cities which this civilization has. Playing multiplayer it becomes easy, cause there are so many people out there not focusing on their army instead on future efficeny.
3. Settler (if my capitol has reached 3, if not I keep on making more warriors/archers)
4. Archer to get a strong defence which is important when you play multiplayer
-After this I start to aim for Bronze Working to find the copper resource and plan a future attack if that is needed to gain it.

Don't you improve your tiles??? I've played MP a few times and I find I always need at least one worker :lol:

Worker
Warrior (until size 2)
Settler
Finish Warrior/Building Barracks (until size 3)
Worker
Settler

From now on it's dependable what i build. :)
My Start gives me 3 workers with 2 cities fast, and they chop barb defense for me quick ;)

I don't have any defense in my city until i station a chariot/axe there. More useful fogbusting so i get less barbs at me :p

(Research path: ---> Animal Husbandry (unless i got no animals in my capitol, then it's BW) - The Wheel - (mining) - Bronze Working
I like Chariots to defend from barbs better than axes in the start :)

Mine's almost exactly the same, except I do Warrior first and then Worker. I like to grow my city to size two while building a warrior (for exploration and eventual city defense of city 2) before starting on the Worker.

Cheers.

Build: Worker > Warrior (grow) > Settler > Warrior (grow) > Worker
If it's a coastal city with sea resources I usually build workboat instead of second warrior.

Tech: Depends on my strategy. If early rush, I go BW > AH > Archery, and chop/whip out an army. But rushing is usually not my style, and I go for religion (if starting with Mysticism) and needed worker techs. I delay BW and don't chop forrest before Mathematics (to grab wonders or crucial city buildings), unless I have to anyway to set up cottages.

Don't you improve your tiles??? I've played MP a few times and I find I always need at least one worker :lol:

I improve my tiles, it's just that when I declare war on someone, they usually have a worker or two which I steal from them and send back to me. Works fine :)

I improve my tiles, it's just that when I declare war on someone, they usually have a worker or two which I steal from them and send back to me. Works fine :)

Nice, good idea. Of course that means you have to declare very early (they need to be close) or you go with unimproved tiles for awhile...

Top Bottom