What video games have you been playing? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like using the first person mod and stalking people basically from their viewpoint, it really brings the city to life.
I haven't used any mods yet, but I'll add that one to my mental list.

If you're having trouble with traffic see this guide here made by a real traffic engineer.
Nice. I'll have to read that when I get home tonight.

Last night I had some success clearing up traffic by using one-way roads, and by paying careful attention to where traffic lights appear. They seem to create backups. I also started experimenting with raised roadways to create "express lanes" from one part of town to another, such as connecting my logging area directly to the highway, so the trucks don't have to cut through other neighborhoods on their way out of town.

On Cities Skylines, I will mention that on the challenge vs. sandbox scale, it leans towards the latter more than SimCity, so if the challenge aspect is really important to you Cities Skylines might seem a bit too easy (though that's only if you manage to master the traffic aspect, which some people have a really tough time with).
I haven't played SimCity, but yeah, Skylines is very relaxed. A "beer & pretzels" game, as my friends and I used to say back in the day. Health and happiness are no challenge at all. I don't think disasters even exist. You can cause a flood yourself, by placing a hydroelectric dam in the wrong place. I saw a mod that allows unchecked fires to spread from building to building. Once I have the basics down, I'm sure I'll go look for other mods to raise the "difficulty level."

I was playing This War of Mine a few weeks back, another good game.
A good game, but man alive is it depressing. I quit playing altogether after...

Spoiler :
I could hear a woman being raped but didn't have a lockpick, crowbar or gun. Fercrissakes, I don't play PC games for that kind of crap.

Also been playing Company of Heroes 2 a little.
I played the first game like a madman for a while. By the time the sequel was released I was completely burned out. Still, I've had my eye on it.

A good game, but man alive is it depressing. I quit playing altogether after...

Yeah, the game is a bit too "real" to me sometimes too, especially after all the wargames I've played. It seems much easier to play conquer the world than to actually play the real victims of all the conquest (civilians trying to survive in war-torn areas). But still it makes for a kind of surreal experience in combination. :eek: :blush:

I have another question for the EU3 people:

Is it possible to annex Japan as a European nation? It doesn't seem to be possible if it hasn't been unified first. Which is really irritating. I declare war on Kyoto, I take all Japanese lands, but I can't get anything other than a damn white peace.

In my game as France, my long-term goal was to conquer Japan. 250 years later, I'm learning the hard way it might not be possible due to the game mechanics in DW. :(

I haven't used any mods yet, but I'll add that one to my mental list.

Nice. I'll have to read that when I get home tonight.

Last night I had some success clearing up traffic by using one-way roads, and by paying careful attention to where traffic lights appear. They seem to create backups. I also started experimenting with raised roadways to create "express lanes" from one part of town to another, such as connecting my logging area directly to the highway, so the trucks don't have to cut through other neighborhoods on their way out of town.

Be careful with one-way roads - if you place too many without thinking too carefully you could end up just directing traffic all into one place.

Actually in my first "complete" city I didn't use a lot of one-way roads or six-lane roads (and I didn't have to resort to a lot of unrealistic gimmicks either). That's not to say they don't have their use, but rather that despite some people thinking traffic being impossible, there is a lot of flexibility in how you can solve your traffic problems.

I haven't played SimCity, but yeah, Skylines is very relaxed. A "beer & pretzels" game, as my friends and I used to say back in the day. Health and happiness are no challenge at all. I don't think disasters even exist. You can cause a flood yourself, by placing a hydroelectric dam in the wrong place. I saw a mod that allows unchecked fires to spread from building to building. Once I have the basics down, I'm sure I'll go look for other mods to raise the "difficulty level."

There's a mod that increases the difficulty level in various ways but I forgot its name. There is a hard mode available in the base game, by the way, but for some people it isn't challenging enough.

But as for me, I don't care, I love the sandboxy aspect.

Finally got Skyrim: Legendary Edition for the 360. I know, I know, no mods, but I'll get it for the PC later. I wanted it fir the console for various reasons.

So far, I really like it. Playing as a light-medium archer and melee character who rejects magic and is equally at home with a bow or mace, sneaking or fighting. I think I'll have to get the PC version and mod it before long because of so many bows being too ugly to use.

Kinda odd how they made an actual ethnic group into a group in game (the Bretons). What next, add a people called the Maori?

Update: I've abandoned light armor and am now clad in a full suit of fine steel plate. I recently cleared a coven of witches by either nailing them with arrows or impaling them with my sword, and the game kindly put it all in glorious slow-mo for me.

Needless to say, I'm supremely chuffed

My Skyrim (Legendary edition) for the PC is insanely slow, particularly with loading screens. I've tried to put together the unofficial patches to fix the memory leaks and other bugs, but I don't know if it's working right.

Also, tried to install the SkyUI mod, and I keep getting a bootup error at the start of the game saying it's not installed correctly but I still have the better interface.

My Skyrim (Legendary edition) for the PC is insanely slow, particularly with loading screens. I've tried to put together the unofficial patches to fix the memory leaks and other bugs, but I don't know if it's working right.

Also, tried to install the SkyUI mod, and I keep getting a bootup error at the start of the game saying it's not installed correctly but I still have the better interface.

What are your PC specs? If you're trying to start with a new most setup I recommend going through this guide here, but dunno if it will help you with your issues.

I was able to play it before, but I don't think the issue is with Skyrim. I just tried to load a Civ5 mod and none of the textures loaded.

I think I have a graphics problem that's bigger than one game, need to try the standard fixes (i.e. reboot, verify files through Steam, etc.) before posting more.

Time to fix a great injustice (and an even greater shame) for me, by going and playing the first Fallouts.
You have a Fallout avatar and didn't even played it ? 0_o

As for me, I was engulfed into Shadow of Mordor and finished it in two days. It's surprisingly both very fun and very faithful to the source material. Really nice surprise.

Just finishing up a playthough of Final Fantasy IX my personal favorite of the series. Just have to finish Memoria, and fight the three optional bosses (not sure if I'm gonna bother with Osma though).

Oh okay, maybe something up with the GPU drivers? :dunno:

Figured it out: I had the unofficial high res patch without the actual high res pack, because my computer only works with low settings.

Just finishing up a playthough of Final Fantasy IX my personal favorite of the series. Just have to finish Memoria, and fight the three optional bosses (not sure if I'm gonna bother with Osma though).

I never finished FF9, although I have played it. The 6-8, T era was kind of my jam.

I never finished FF9, although I have played it. The 6-8, T era was kind of my jam.

I started with the PSX era so I missed 6. I owned the PS version but it ran so awful that I never got far. I loved 7 like most people, 8 is actually my next game as I feel like I didn't give it a fair chance last time (little 8 year old me couldn't understand junctioning). If you still have the disks you should go back and play 9 again, unlike 7 which arguably it's best part is the 1st disk, 9 steadily gets better as you go on.

I remember renting Final Fantasy III* from video rental stores (you guys remember Blockbuster and Hollywood video?) over the weekend, and I made sure to re-rent the same cartridge a couple weeks in a row so I could keep going with my save game. Until I didn't get it one weekend and my save got erased by another guy who was playing the game. Did the same thing with Lufia II. I'm glad I actually own Chrono Trigger, because that was my jam and first RPG that I beat.

The first Final Fantasy game I actually owned (never figured out why I didn't get FF3 on SNES, I could have sworn it was on at least one of my Christmas lists) was FF7 on the Playstation, then I got Final Fantasy Anthology which had Final Fantasy VI and V as a bonus.

So I decided to sell my copy of Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. I got $63 for it and used some of the money to get some games off of Steam. I bought Infested Planet and Breach & Clear: Deadline. Having a blast with both games, especially Breach & Clear: Deadline. I played Breach & Clear and felt the game lacked polish and did not offer a decent and varied challenge after the first few missions. While Breach & Clear: Deadline still suffers from the repetitive nature of the Breach & Clear, it is a lot more polished and does feel a lot more fun and enjoyable.

Had a bout of nostalgia, bought Commandos 2 from Steam for ~3€.

Someone should make a new game like this, in proper 3D, improved AI and up to date graphics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom