What Video Games Have You Been Playing XVII: REMAIN INDOORS!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snerk

Smeghead
I wouldn't pay Valve for toilet paper if I was dead out and they were the only supplier on earth.

Meanwhile...

My Civ IV Chinese have made peace after a limited nuclear war (limited in that we have nukes and they don't, and also in that I only fired off maybe a half dozen tac nukes over the course of the war). My continent, unified under glorious and enlightened Chinese leadership, stands against the evil hoards of Charlemagne. We tried to stop him from conquering the last holdouts on his continent, the noble but backwards Zulu, but alas Shaka capitulated leaving my army stuck with no city to shelter in until it captured one, ironically from Shaka. Then we were forced to burn down three additional cities just to fend off the benighted hoards reminding our new city of their cultural origins, and crush numerous waves of HRE infantry backed by tanks.

With our one beachhead city like a thorn in their side I don't have to worry about invasions on my own continent if Charlie should want to restart hostilities so I think I can cruise to a science victory and get off this rock. If he tries to start trouble again I might forego restraint and unleash my entire arsenal of ICBMs.

More Civ3, randed another pangaea as Carthage except that I started on the only island outside it. Managing mainland wars is a nightmare; maybe I should just draw down i.e. abandon exclaves and wait to conquer Rome from the Hittites? The mainland's just become a free-for-all. Or save myself the hassle and go back to Thelen Epres Mrel Nelthelrinae, a seriously underrated scenario.

Last edited:
I've been playing a bit of Slay the Spire, and finally just beat the Corrupt Heart for the first time. I don't know how I'm going to do it with a non-poison character lol...the only reason I beat him was because I was able to stack up almost 300 poison on him.

ı play massive or huge maps , continents , 60% oceans , should cover both the challenge the human player and prevent runaway success by the AI ? In the worst case you would be stuck in a small island with two superpowers ? Civ lll wise .

Strategy game AI really hasn't progressed in decades. The best examples are good fakes, or game design that aknowledges/mitigates AI limitations.

Too niche to each game. Total War AI, for example, is exploitable as heck. But it's not bad. In fact, it's probably as good as a mediocre player. If I get caught with troops unfamiliar in a situation unprepared, it can whollop me pretty easily. But Warhammer has 90 million different units and buffs and fudge all if I'm going to memorize them(Shogun 2 was much more sleekly balanced). I'm not busting out the paint sets.

The Starcraft AI was pretty funny. I know they were touting how few input clicks they've gotten it down to, but infinite attention for the entire map, even when arbitrarily hobbled, goes a really long way. Every unit on the map disengaging from unfavorable situations while every unit on the map also engaging favorable situations then cycling back and forth without pause or break forever. Yeah, it's going to terminator players down unless they can find something it does poorly just just skoosh it.

More Civ3, randed another pangaea as Carthage except that I started on the only island outside it. Managing mainland wars is a nightmare; maybe I should just draw down i.e. abandon exclaves and wait to conquer Rome from the Hittites? The mainland's just become a free-for-all. Or save myself the hassle and go back to Thele Epres Mrel Nelthelrinae, a seriously underrated scenario.
Notched up 2 more Random-rolled DG defeats myself yesterday, first as the Aztecs, then as the Spanish.

My Aztec start was one of the worst Civ3-spawns I've ever seen, and I only played on because I was curious. My Settler was born on a Desert at the end of a narrow peninsula, with only 2 adjacent land-tiles: another Desert, and a Gem-Mountain (I also had a coastal Fish, whoopee). When my BFC expanded 10 turns later, I got access to a Grassland across the water (about 10 tiles' worth of Worker-moves away from Tenochtitlan), and a Marsh south of the Mountain. Four tiles south of Tenochtitlan was a 1-tile lake — surrounded by Jungle (with 2 Banana!). And I forgot to switch off Culture-linkage, so my neighbours were all the other American Civs (oh, and this turned out to be a Pangea as well). I lasted 50 turns, because the Iros plonked a town next to the lake just before my first Settler was built.

The Spanish start looked a lot better (coastal, river-adjacent, Grassland + Hills + Forest + a few Mountains, room for at least a 1st-ring), until I discovered that again I was on a Pangea, neighboured by the Romans (south), the Indians and Persians (west and southwest), and the Greeks (northwest), with the Ottomans (west of Persia), Mongols (west of India), and Scandinavians (west of Greece) rounding out the roster. I got Horses by the skin of my teeth, just beating the Indians (who built SoZ) to the punch, but lost the Philo-race by 3T. And when I tried to capture that one Indian outpost 20T later, my meagre Horse-force died on the spot, or retreated, only to be killed by the 6-Civ dogpile that Ghandi initiated within about 2T of my DoW (he brought in the Persians; the Jerk brought in pretty much everyone else).

Oh well, back to the drawing-board...

Too niche to each game. Total War AI, for example, is exploitable as heck. But it's not bad. In fact, it's probably as good as a mediocre player. If I get caught with troops unfamiliar in a situation unprepared, it can whollop me pretty easily. But Warhammer has 90 million different units and buffs and fudge all if I'm going to memorize them(Shogun 2 was much more sleekly balanced). I'm not busting out the paint sets.

Nah. I'm not impressed with the TW AI. I'm not sure theres been any significant improvement and plenty of sleight of hand where they appear to improve it by simplifying the maps so that corners and edges confuse them less.

This PoV is as an experienced player. Dev/designwise Its impressively functional and reactive AI thats "fun" to play against but I'm struggling to invest in it as an opponent these days.

A few shots of the main survival base I've been working on with my brothers in Minecraft:
Spoiler :
2020-04-14_14.16.33.png
2020-04-14_14.17.24.png

And a shot of my map room. The great Western Road leads to a forward base, skirting an enormous swamp which stretches from the 3rd panel from the right to beyond the left-most panel. There is a village right in the middle, which is a site of great woe. In completing the Western Road, I accidentally triggered 2 Pillager raids on the village, and was unable to save them. The village is now a ghost town, completely devoid of life. It's quite eerie.
Spoiler :
2020-04-14_14.18.06.png

I just started playing X4 Foundation and really the only word I can think off is exhausting. Yes, the game looks good and sounds good and everything. But something about it just makes me tired and drained trying to fly it.

I just started playing X4 Foundation and really the only word I can think off is exhausting. Yes, the game looks good and sounds good and everything. But something about it just makes me tired and drained trying to fly it.

It whipped me into submission too, leading to a fresh X3AP start. I figure the exhaustion is just the typical X learning curve, and it might take a few attacks on the vertical slope before i know enough to enjoy playing. Round two will happen, I'm just not sure when.

That's the thing though. In X3 there was a LOT of stuff to learn but actually flying the ship was something that just happened. Here it's flying that is exhausting me. Like literally, I just finished the flying tutorial and I felt tired after doing it.

That's the thing though. In X3 there was a LOT of stuff to learn but actually flying the ship was something that just happened. Here it's flying that is exhausting me. Like literally, I just finished the flying tutorial and I felt tired after doing it.

It's a looooooong way back for me, but I seem to remember the first time I loaded up an X game (Reunion) flying the ship wasn't something that "just happened." Figuring out the controls was a pain in the exhaust. Then when I switched to TC the transition was only bearable when I discovered the "classic mode flight control" option.

I started with TC so I can't comment on Reunion but the controls in it are just way less tiring. And again, I can't say what it is that tires me about X4. It's not that different from X3 AP even. But for some reason it just feels like I am struggling against it.

I started with TC so I can't comment on Reunion but the controls in it are just way less tiring. And again, I can't say what it is that tires me about X4. It's not that different from X3 AP even. But for some reason it just feels like I am struggling against it.

You are doing better than me if you are at "it's not that different from AP." I abandoned my first assault before I was really satisfied that my joystick mapped properly to the controls.

Meanwhile...

My Civ IV Chinese have made peace after a limited nuclear war (limited in that we have nukes and they don't, and also in that I only fired off maybe a half dozen tac nukes over the course of the war). My continent, unified under glorious and enlightened Chinese leadership, stands against the evil hoards of Charlemagne. We tried to stop him from conquering the last holdouts on his continent, the noble but backwards Zulu, but alas Shaka capitulated leaving my army stuck with no city to shelter in until it captured one, ironically from Shaka. Then we were forced to burn down three additional cities just to fend off the benighted hoards reminding our new city of their cultural origins, and crush numerous waves of HRE infantry backed by tanks.

With our one beachhead city like a thorn in their side I don't have to worry about invasions on my own continent if Charlie should want to restart hostilities so I think I can cruise to a science victory and get off this rock. If he tries to start trouble again I might forego restraint and unleash my entire arsenal of ICBMs.

I'm now definitely cruising to a science victory...which is good because glorious China definitely needs to get off this fallout infested rock. Charlie did decide to make trouble ad invade my beach head on his continent. Two huge stacks one right behind the other. The first crossed my border as a declaration of war, the second one square behind and still on his side ate a tac nuke. Simultaneously my ICBMs decimated every city that might have held any reserves. My stack built toward promotions by spending three full turns annihilating the attackers, then roamed out into the post-apocalyptic wastes and burned a couple cities to the ground to make space for good Chinese settlers.

I have a three city beach head and managed to time the completion of empire wide laboratory construction to nearly match completion of fusion research. The end is near.

Nah. I'm not impressed with the TW AI. I'm not sure theres been any significant improvement and plenty of sleight of hand where they appear to improve it by simplifying the maps so that corners and edges confuse them less.

This PoV is as an experienced player. Dev/designwise Its impressively functional and reactive AI thats "fun" to play against but I'm struggling to invest in it as an opponent these days.

Oh that's fair. Keeping it fun but feeling like you're awesome is why games stack up visibly unfair bonuses so the opponents are strong but dumb to fight against once you're comfortable with it. It's nice to be the champion. But yeah. Same game over and over gets stale after a while.

I played Magic the Gathering back when. 4th Edition? My friends weren't insane collectors but they had more cards than I did for putting together their "super serious decks" that we'd take every once in a blue moon to a type 2 tournament. I looked through all the winningest decks and realized all the really good versatile control cards were the expensive ones I didn't own. So the longer any game went on the less win conditions I had and the more they had. In every deck they tried to build to be good. So I went for speed.

The deck was "cheese" instead of "meta" in the lingo of these days, I guess. "Sly" in the lingo of the days the followed shortly after then, gradually becoming "rush" then "tempo" if the cards had been of quality. But they weren't good cards, so "cheese" it was. We called it the Goblin Grenade deck and it was straight burn. It was twitchy and had to draw right. It under allocated land cards and was the only deck I knew so tuned, because to draw more than four generally made it run out of gas and lose. Almost anything could disrupt it. A couple creature removals. Land disruption, discards. But those weren't generally early game cards in popular tournament rounded decks. Those all revolved around periodic resets so they could re achieve lock combos if the game got out of control. But man, when it drew right it was cooking with nitro glycerine. It usually worked well enough to be dangerous. Best case scenario turn 3 rolled around and it finished spending all its mana, all its cards, all its creatures, and all but one of its own lands, but it could wrap up dealing 20 cumulative damage. Turn 4 was more normal, and by turn 5 would happen if it didn't misdraw and completely fizzle. Which it could. If your deck was designed to lock its combo on turn 5 and relied on resets to recapture the pace, it doesn't matter when you've already lost. My friends got very tired of dealing with that deck. It was about 60 cents worth of cards and it became a stage in tournament testing any deck they built long after. If it couldn't deal with the goblins when you knew what their trick was, then whatever its other merits, it was too slow.

Almost beat a guy in a type 1 tournament running the power 9 back before those were whisper worthy cards. Nuked him down in the first game because he didn't respect the noob. Almost got him in the 3rd game. He got saved by a Kird Ape, a good first turn card with dual forest/mountains in the game. It forced a lightning bolt that I needed to win. Fun though! Eventually Fallen Empires cycled out of Type 2 and everyone was saved the experience.

Game AI can be too good. Chess is a done game on the highest levels, it's dead. Go too.

Oh that's fair. Keeping it fun but feeling like you're awesome is why games stack up visibly unfair bonuses so the opponents are strong but dumb to fight against once you're comfortable with it. It's nice to be the champion. But yeah. Same game over and over gets stale after a while.

I played Magic the Gathering back when. 4th Edition? My friends weren't insane collectors but they had more cards than I did for putting together their "super serious decks" that we'd take every once in a blue moon to a type 2 tournament. I looked through all the winningest decks and realized all the really good versatile control cards were the expensive ones I didn't own. So the longer any game went on the less win conditions I had and the more they had. In every deck they tried to build to be good. So I went for speed.

The deck was "cheese" instead of "meta" in the lingo of these days, I guess. "Sly" in the lingo of the days the followed shortly after then, gradually becoming "rush" then "tempo" if the cards had been of quality. But they weren't good cards, so "cheese" it was. We called it the Goblin Grenade deck and it was straight burn. It was twitchy and had to draw right. It under allocated land cards and was the only deck I knew so tuned, because to draw more than four generally made it run out of gas and lose. Almost anything could disrupt it. A couple creature removals. Land disruption, discards. But those weren't generally early game cards in popular tournament rounded decks. Those all revolved around periodic resets so they could re achieve lock combos if the game got out of control. But man, when it drew right it was cooking with nitro glycerine. It usually worked well enough to be dangerous. Best case scenario turn 3 rolled around and it finished spending all its mana, all its cards, all its creatures, and all but one of its own lands, but it could wrap up dealing 20 cumulative damage. Turn 4 was more normal, and by turn 5 would happen if it didn't misdraw and completely fizzle. Which it could. If your deck was designed to lock its combo on turn 5 and relied on resets to recapture the pace, it doesn't matter when you've already lost. My friends got very tired of dealing with that deck. It was about 60 cents worth of cards and it became a stage in tournament testing any deck they built long after. If it couldn't deal with the goblins when you knew what their trick was, then whatever its other merits, it was too slow.

Almost beat a guy in a type 1 tournament running the power 9 back before those were whisper worthy cards. Nuked him down in the first game because he didn't respect the noob. Almost got him in the 3rd game. He got saved by a Kird Ape, a good first turn card with dual forest/mountains in the game. It forced a lightning bolt that I needed to win. Fun though! Eventually Fallen Empires cycled out of Type 2 and everyone was saved the experience.

Game AI can be too good. Chess is a done game on the highest levels, it's dead. Go too.

Played sligh more than a few times. Ball Lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom