What videogames have you been playing? version 1.22: What's with that plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if the Total War series had a baby with Arma III? You'd get....

Total Conflict: Resistance (still in EA but man, this game has huge potential)

Started playing Humankind and I lost my hunting party to a deer. Granted, I'd spent most of their strength fighting a mammoth. Still, losing to a deer is kinda sad.

I really liked the journey and the transition zones. I spent 3 or 4 days hanging around the train depot, hunting, sewing, and reading books.
I dumped a ton of firewood and sticks at the Train Depot and kept going. I was trying to let it ride and push through straight to the airfield, to take advantage of my good luck with the wolves.
On my way through, I saw a wolf at the 3 red train cars and another at the waterfall, after you go down the really long set of stairs onto the frozen river.
I'm fairly certain that the waterfall is supposed to be a wolf spawn and I just got really lucky. I'm also still a little puzzled by the four wolves at the Maintenance Shed when there were at least 3 wolf carcasses in the same general area. In any case, I didn't encounter any more wolves for days. I was actually living at the airfield for a couple days before I finally encountered any wolves.

The Long Dark - Stalker Day 50

I left the trailer in the morning and continued heading for the airfield. It's easy to find since there are actually "airport this way" road signs all the way there, like there would be in RL, which was pretty immersive. I found a battery in the truck at the trailer, but I left it because it was too heavy and I wanted to be able to sprint. Plus I had no idea how close or far I was from the airport. I knew that I would need a battery at the airport to fix the radio tower, but I was hoping to find a battery at the airport, which I did end up finding, along with all the other stuff needed to fix the tower. Again I also dumped a bunch of firewood so I could sprint, which ultimately ended up being unnecessary because I made it all the way to the airport without encountering a single wolf. I also had beautiful weather for the entire trek. A couple snowfalls and some brief periods of high winds, but no bad snows and no blizzards at all. Seems the RNG Gods really wanted to welcome me to Forsaken Airfield.

Holy crap the airport is overwhelming... its so wide open and you can see everything in every direction for miles. There are so many structures to explore and so much loot. It was pretty confusing to know where to start. I opted to locate an indoor base with a bedroom first, as most of the structures are not warm "indoor" structures with their own loading screens, despite you being able to enter them and close the door behind you. So once I tried out the hangar, I realized that was going to be the base. So I found a bedroom and then start sorting my storage, and using the spraypaint to mark all the important locations, storage, food, bed, etc. I like to put all my stuff in designated area and inside containers so that I can access it from the container menu rather than spreading everything out on the floor where you have to hover over it to see what it is, and actually pick it up to check the condition. Putting stuff in containers also lets you access it easily in the dark.

The hangar itself is also pretty overwhelming. I've been there for a few days and I still haven't finished looting it. I did find a hammer in the basement with the forge. I just left it by the forge with all my coal since I found a second hammer in the Air traffic control tower. The hangar reminds me a little of Carter Dam and Hibernia Processing in that there is so much to explore and a ridiculous amount of loot to find, boxes and crates to open/break down and overall just tons of stuff to do.

Once I got myself situated, I fixed the radio tower, which was easy since I'd found all the necessary parts by then. Then I climbed up the ridiculous number of stairs to the top of the Air Traffic Control tower to get the Handheld-Shortwave radio, which of course, starts the mini-mission, which was awesome, and immediately made the trek out there feel worth it.:D I got an aurora the first night after fixing the tower and finding the shortwave, but the shortwave didn't pick up anything for some reason. I walked all around and there was nothing on either channel. However, a couple nights later, it did pick up a signal and I was able to locate a buried cache :yeah:.. which was mostly just full of flares :sad:, but still, it was really cool to use the shortwave and see how it works. Also, using the shortwave, I finally encountered a pack of aurora wolves with their glitchy howling and glowing green eyes... terrifying. It was also hard to tell the wolves from the lights of the runway so there were some tense moments trying to make it back to the hangar. I thought that going for the cache was going to end up costing me my life, but I was able to make it back. Now I've started rabbit hunting the bunnies nearby and hijacking them from the wolves.

The big downside to the airport, is that although there is a kitchen, there seemed to be no wood burning stoves anywhere, so I had to cook my rabbits outdoors in the open small hangar nearby the large hangar. However, as I type this, It just occurred to me that the forge in the basement of the hangar doubles as a wood stove :think:. Now that I've done a lot of looting, I think I am ready to start exploring and mapping some of the surrounding region and start looking for a rifle. If I can find one, I can look for deer. If not, I will have to try find saplings and craft a bow and arrows since I didn't bring any. If I can do that, I will stay out here and just keep exploring and looting for a few weeks. If I cant find any of that, I will have to head back to Broken Railroad when the bunnies run out.

The Long Dark: Tales from the Far Territory

Stalker, Day 80. I found another fully-stocked bunker near Milton. It's in an even more inconvenient spot than the one in Mystery Lake, so I just took the food and a parka and left all the tools. I still needed scrap to repair the radio tower, and I knew I'd left a bunch in Forlorn Muskeg, so I took a car battery and headed there.

Signal Void spoilers:
Spoiler :
After hauling the battery all the way down to the tower on the south side of Muskeg, I found one sitting right there next to the transmitter. *groan* After the Forlorn Muskeg radio tower was working, I picked up the signal from Bleak Inlet. Since the entrance was right there, I figured why not? I don't have the code for the workshop door yet, but I didn't need to get in there anyway. Once I was there, I had to wait a few days for the Aurora to turn up, and once it did, it turned out the source of the signal was up on the plateau that I can't reach. *groan*
I didn't feel like going all the way around through Mystery Lake, so I headed back to Milton to finish repairing and activate the transmitter there. While I was spending a night at Spence Homestead, the Aurora came up again, so I decided to walk across to the Poacher's Camp. I figured if the radio picked up any signals along the way, I could maybe find a hidden cache. While crossing the moor, I somehow ended walking right into the middle of two groups of 3 wolves. One of them charged me, and even though I shot him once with my revolver, we got into a brawl. I accidentally selected my revolver for the fight instead of my knife, and the wolf almost killed me. I was at about 20% when he ran off, and I was still stuck in the middle of 5 more wolves. So I lit a fire right where I was, and spent the rest of the night crouched at the edge of the marsh with my revolver ready. I had to shoot 2 more wolves before the Sun came up. Then, as I was dragging my wounded butt to the Poacher's Camp, I was walking down the tracks and thought I had good visibility, but...
Spoiler :
Ninja Bear 2: Paws of Fury

Oh, ffs. I heard it roar, but I didn't even try to see where it was or how close. I could see where it wasn't, which was good enough for me, so I just took off running. I made it into the train car before it caught up to me. So I barely survived the whole endeavor, and I never found the bunkers in either Forlorn Muskeg or Bleak Inlet and never found any hidden caches. Just goes to show, you can breeze through this game for 2 months, and then suddenly it all goes wrong and you can be killed in moments.

After repairing the radio transmitter in Milton, I decided to head for the peaceful idyll of Hushed River Valley. I haven't been there in a while. I'll probably spend a few weeks mapping the region and looking for bunkers.

Just goes to show
that Forlorn Muskeg, a thousand curses upon its unholy name, is an awful, terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, evil, demonspawn region, which the developers created in order to allow the RNG Gods to enact their vindictive injustice upon us, and its best to avoid this region as much as you possibly can... lest you:
breeze through this game for 2 months, and then suddenly it all goes wrong and you
get
killed in moments.
:lol: :sad:
By far, its the best forge location region-wise... simply in terms of distance and nothing else, as every other forge is in a better location in every other way. Also, there is an insane amount of cattails... but other than that, its not worth spending any more time there than absolutely necessary.
After repairing the radio transmitter in Milton, I decided to head for the peaceful idyll of Hushed River Valley. I haven't been there in a while. I'll probably spend a few weeks mapping the region and looking for bunkers.
The Milton transmitter is basically a gimme, with so many cars with batteries so close by. I wonder if it actually detects anything. I found a bunker in Milton (not using the tower/radio), just outside the shortcut-tunnel in the middle of the map, which contained zero, yes ZERO loot... a huge disappointment, to say the least, but strangely immersive, since it reinforced the feeling that you never know what you will find.

On another note... I need to play more Interloper... hearing you call Hushed River Valley a "peaceful idyll" just drives home how much of a noob I am :p

As another aside... I wonder if batteries nearby the towers is a teaser thing to get us used to the tower mechanic and then they will soon do away with that and make us lug batteries to the towers...:think:

I found a battery right next to the tower in Forsaken Airfield.

that Forlorn Muskeg, a thousand curses upon its unholy name, is an awful, terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, evil, demonspawn region, which the developers created in order to allow the RNG Gods to enact their vindictive injustice upon us, and its best to avoid this region as much as you possibly can... lest you:

get

:lol: :sad:
By far, its the best forge location region-wise... simply in terms of distance and nothing else, as every other forge is in a better location in every other way. Also, there is an insane amount of cattails... but other than that, its not worth spending any more time there than absolutely necessary.
Yeah, I don't hate Forlorn Muskeg like you do, but it's kind of a boring zone. It's an important crossroads, but I wouldn't spend any time there if there weren't things there I needed or I was just passing through on my way to someplace else. The only time I spent a while there was when I was going after Faithful Cartographer. It's almost a "transfer zone", but every other is nicer and/or more interesting. I actually spend some time in Raven Falls and Transfer Pass, just because they're nice places to take a break. I wouldn't object at all if they wanted to give Forlorn Muskeg a major overhaul.

On another note... I need to play more Interloper... hearing you call Hushed River Valley a "peaceful idyll" just drives home how much of a noob I am :p
I love Hushed River Valley.

On the subject of playing at Interloper again, I haven't since they redid the loot tables. I had an idea where to look for matches and a bedroll on several of the maps before, HRV included. My hope/intention is to finish Signal Void on Stalker, and if I seem to be making good progress on Will to Live and Skilled Survivor, I may go after those too (I got Carcass Harvesting to level 5 last night, on Day 85 or 90 or so, and I think a couple others are at 4). So I may not start a new Interloper run soon, but I'm kind of biting my fingernails in anticipation anyway.

As another aside... I wonder if batteries nearby the towers is a teaser thing to get us used to the tower mechanic and then they will soon do away with that and make us lug batteries to the towers...:think:
I wouldn't mind that. I was actually a little disappointed when I got to the Forlorn Muskeg transmitter. Not just frustrated that the effort was wasted, but I wanted it to be that much effort.

I found a battery right next to the tower in Forsaken Airfield.
I did read that one was deliberately easy, to show the player the mechanic for repairing the transmitters.

So... finished God of War; I mean, FINISHED finished; got the platinum for all trophies in the game.

It's an easy 100%, actually, except for the arenas to grind (apparently they took those away un Ragnarok, what is good), and the final Valkyrie fight.

I actually begun a NG+ in "give me god of war", and it was a mixed bag. Some parts were easier, other harder, than a first playthrough on "hard". I went so far as the first area after the encounter with the stranger.

The game seens manageable, but I can see lots of frustrating spots with enemies that can one-shot Kratos in that level. But ultimatelly I decided not to proceed, because despite they allowing us to keep all gear, they introduced new tiers of upgrading, so the weapon hunting is also resumed, if diminished. I only wanted to follow the story, and don't want grinding in that difficult game again.

So I begun a "hard" playthrough of "Horizon zero Down" instead. Despite the name, it must be the medium difficulty, for being tier 3 of 5 options. However, so far my impression is the opposite; in "hard" the game is actually absurdly easy. I'm thinking of upping it a bit to get more of a challenge...

Regards :).

I just watched the first round of qualifying races for the upcoming ExileCon tournament: Kitava kill in Act 5. The two fastest times were like 1:10. It seemed everyone covered was using Templars and fire skills. At my clunky pace that point takes me 4 days. To see it done in an hour is pretty amazing. Non stop action without time for a break or even a breather. Intense.

Last edited:
I gave PoE my 1st try last night.
Not bad.
I'm going without a build and just trying things out to begin with.
Disappointed about the gender-tied classes. although its not a dealbreaker for me.
That is a fine way to start. What class did you choose? How far did you get? Di you play in Crucible or Standard?

POE is a challenge for beginners!

Been playing a Rome 2 run as Ptolemaic Egypt, and things are going really well due to my strategy of not having each king marry his sister, unlike the real Ptolemaic dynasty. Egypt seems kinda like easy mode, even more than Rome. Definitely much easier than the Seleucids.

That is a fine way to start. What class did you choose? How far did you get? Di you play in Crucible or Standard?

POE is a challenge for beginners!
Witch. Got the medicine chest and got it back to town. Standard.

Lots of rushing around beaches fighting zombies and crabs. Some dying when I didn't run away fast enough but the tougher opponents seem kiteable atm.
Not much idea what I'm doing but I'm not spending much and building up currency so if I end up restarting the next character will have it easier!

If you want some in game guidance, let me know. You can friend me Standard (Dharmakazi). I've only played a witch up through Act 3 (for an achievement) but can do lots of explaining about how things work and ways to make leveling simpler. :)

Been playing a Rome 2 run as Ptolemaic Egypt, and things are going really well due to my strategy of not having each king marry his sister, unlike the real Ptolemaic dynasty. Egypt seems kinda like easy mode, even more than Rome. Definitely much easier than the Seleucids.
It seems whenever Egypt is in a total war game, it is easy mode. In Rome1 they were arguably the strongest non-Roman faction on the strategy map. In Medieval2 they had basically no weaknesses apart from their heavy infantry replenishment pool being a bit slow. And Rome2 they can pretty easily knock out the two Nubian factions and nearby desert factions before blobbing up into the fractured Middle East.*

*All those nice and tasty one province factions with little better than militia. For some unknown reason, CA decided to code the campaign AI so if they were down to one or two provinces and losing, they would take their army and try to find someplace to invade and settle down in. Well, one army -even of basic troops- was good enough to take one undefended city. And in a region full of single city factions who often had their army elsewhere due to fighting for whoever they were a client state of.... You can imagine what happened. Did a better job of simulating the barbarian invasions in the end of the roman empire than Attila did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom