What videogames have you been playing? version 1.22: What's with that plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearing the end of my "hard" playthrough of Horizon Zero Dawn. It will be another 100% (of the main game; all throphies in everything actually means a second playthrough).

I actually did all the cleanup already; the three left are 2 story related that will pop upon completion, and the platinum itself.

It's actually one of the easiest 100% I ever seen. I was not gunning there by any means, until I realized I was almost there. So the cleanup took a couple hours at most.

Nevertheless, i'm doing the DLC, which means I have a few days ahead yet.

Didn't decide on what is my next; if I'll try to resume Pathfinder, or if I'll resume Outer Worlds...

Regards :).

Last edited:
The Long Dark: Tale From the Far Territory

Interloper. Day 12. Mystery Lake. -15F/-26C. On a whim, I changed my plans and went from Coastal Highway to Pleasant Valley instead of going straight to Mystery Lake. The gamble didn't really pay off. I searched Thomson's Crossing, the red barn and the farmhouse, and didn't find a lot of immediate value. I didn't go up to the plane wreckage, but now I'm thinking I should've, because the temps are dropping and I might have found some more clothing up there. I did find a forge hammer, and a lantern, which allowed me to search Carter Dam without having to chain torches, then I found a hacksaw in Carter Dam. So that was good. If I'd gone into Carter Dam through the front, I probably wouldn't have had the lantern.

So now I'm rummaging around Mystery Lake. I chased a deer into a wolf near the camp office, so I have plenty of food, but I worry that I'm falling behind on clothing. I'm still okay in the afternoons, but it's getting mighty cold in the mornings. I found the bunker in the same place as last time, but it was empty. I found a second forge hammer, which I guess could be useful down the road, but not right now. I've got enough matches for the time being, so not having a mag lens isn't a big deal yet, but I still haven't found a bedroll, which is going to make life interesting.

Late-afternoon of Day 11, I was down by Unnamed Pond and almost got got by Ninja Bear. I had checked near the cave as I was approaching the pond and didn't see any tracks, then went into the hunter's blind. The S.O.B. must have spawned while I was inside the blind, because he roared at me when I came out. I couldn't see where he was, so I just turned around and went back inside the blind. I had a single down-arrow on the temperature, so I figured I could hang around in there for a couple of hours, until he wandered off. Then a blizzard started. And the bear didn't leave. I could hear it snuffling and scuffling around right outside the blind. Now I had two down-arrows on the temp. Then three. -28F/-33C, even out of the wind. My plan was to wait until he was around the far side of the hunter's blind and then sprint over the hill and try to reach the lonely cabin, but the mother[lover] went that same direction, and I couldn't wait any longer, so I had to make a break for it in the other direction. Which turned out to be not so bad. The blizzard was still raging and it was getting dark, but I could follow the cliff all the way to Trapper's Cabin, and I was able to make a coal-fire and heat up some tea in the lee of the cliff.

At this point, it's probably prudent to head for the forge in Forlorn Muskeg. But unless I find a bedroll along the way, I'd have to reach Old Spence without any delays. If a blizzard came up while I was en route, I'd be done for. Alternately, I could go through Milton, which would take another couple of days, if I just hit the highlights and don't waste too much time.

The Long Dark: Tale From the Far Territory

Interloper. Day 12. Mystery Lake. -15F/-26C. On a whim, I changed my plans and went from Coastal Highway to Pleasant Valley instead of going straight to Mystery Lake. The gamble didn't really pay off. I searched Thomson's Crossing, the red barn and the farmhouse, and didn't find a lot of immediate value. I didn't go up to the plane wreckage, but now I'm thinking I should've, because the temps are dropping and I might have found some more clothing up there. I did find a forge hammer, and a lantern, which allowed me to search Carter Dam without having to chain torches, then I found a hacksaw in Carter Dam. So that was good. If I'd gone into Carter Dam through the front, I probably wouldn't have had the lantern.

So now I'm rummaging around Mystery Lake. I chased a deer into a wolf near the camp office, so I have plenty of food, but I worry that I'm falling behind on clothing. I'm still okay in the afternoons, but it's getting mighty cold in the mornings. I found the bunker in the same place as last time, but it was empty. I found a second forge hammer, which I guess could be useful down the road, but not right now. I've got enough matches for the time being, so not having a mag lens isn't a big deal yet, but I still haven't found a bedroll, which is going to make life interesting.

Late-afternoon of Day 11, I was down by Unnamed Pond and almost got got by Ninja Bear. I had checked near the cave as I was approaching the pond and didn't see any tracks, then went into the hunter's blind. The S.O.B. must have spawned while I was inside the blind, because he roared at me when I came out. I couldn't see where he was, so I just turned around and went back inside the blind. I had a single down-arrow on the temperature, so I figured I could hang around in there for a couple of hours, until he wandered off. Then a blizzard started. And the bear didn't leave. I could hear it snuffling and scuffling around right outside the blind. Now I had two down-arrows on the temp. Then three. -28F/-33C, even out of the wind. My plan was to wait until he was around the far side of the hunter's blind and then sprint over the hill and try to reach the lonely cabin, but the mother[lover] went that same direction, and I couldn't wait any longer, so I had to make a break for it in the other direction. Which turned out to be not so bad. The blizzard was still raging and it was getting dark, but I could follow the cliff all the way to Trapper's Cabin, and I was able to make a coal-fire and heat up some tea in the lee of the cliff.

At this point, it's probably prudent to head for the forge in Forlorn Muskeg. But unless I find a bedroll along the way, I'd have to reach Old Spence without any delays. If a blizzard came up while I was en route, I'd be done for. Alternately, I could go through Milton, which would take another couple of days, if I just hit the highlights and don't waste too much time.
There is a bed at Spence's Homestead so you can get away with not having a bedroll... as long as you make it there... which... *wolf howls in the distance*

Something that recently hit me... I was thinking about how awesome of a base location the Airport hangar was, because it has an indoor forge AND workbench... then I realized that it's not so awesome, because since both are in the basement, you can't actually use the workbench unless there is an aurora to activate the lights down there.

But that's one of the enjoyable/challenging things about the game... every location has pluses and minuses

Started an HOI4 run. Few false starts while I got the hang of the new purge mechanics; turns out the Germans can easily wipe you out if you're still purging the Red Army when the Germans cross the border.

Anyway, after successfully stopping Barbarossa in its tracks the UK decided to be super-centrist in this timeline and declared war on Iran, whom I had invaded and puppeted in 1937ish, in April 1945, before Nazi Germany was defeated.

This was a bad move for the UK. The Allies had made major landings in Italy and the Balkans in late 1943, and had just fought their way into southern Germany by spring 1945, reaching the outskirts of Munich.

After redeploying forces to secure the border with Turkey, which joined the Allies a few months before the UK declared war, I spent some months building up forces and logistical capscity in preparation for a (what I assumed would be) costly invasion of Turkey in tandem with an operation to drive the Allies out of the Balkans. The first step was a drive to separate the Allies and Axis from each other in roughly southern Austria, driving a wedge to the Adriatic and then widening it. I was also able to drive into Italy and occupy the whole of the peninsula, with the Axis sitting in southern France and the Allies retaining control of Siciliy.

The British then invaded and capitulated Iraq, very helpfully removing the neutral buffer between my puppets in Kurdistan and Iran and British Egypt and, more to the point, the Suez Canal. So I quickly moved some mechanized forces to the Iran-Iraq border and blitzed west through Iraq and Jordan to occupy the whole of Egypt as a preliminary move.

The stage set, I then launched a big set of offensives. West across the North African desert from Egypt, aiming at Casablanca; north from Syria into central Turkey; across the Black Sea with landing area stretching from Trabzon to Sinope on the Turkish coast; an attack on Turkey's eastern border from Armenia; and an attack from southern Yugoslavia into Greece. These moves were successful; the Greek operation took longest due to mountains and defensive works, but my forces succeeded in isolating and annihilating Allied forces in eastern Turkey and quickly occupied the rest of the country (turning it over to my puppet, Kurdistan, which was put in charge of exacting justice for the Armenian genocide and other crimes of the Turkish regime).

While I was managing all that the Axis pushed into Italy and reoccupied the peninsula; I lost some 7 infantry divisions, pinned against the Alps and destroyed, but extracted my armor back across the Adriatic before it could be trapped.

The allies remain in control of Sicily and Corsica & Sardinia, but as they can no longer resupply the garrisons my Marines are going to take the islands soon enough and then I'll proceed against the Axis in mainland Italy.

After these operations it was time to attack Germany again; I attacked the southern part of Axis territory, leaving a generous pocket around Berlin to avoid capitulating Germany too quickly, and then my armor raced for the French channel ports across south-central Germany.

The allies remain in a large pocket centered on Switzerland, which joined them when they still had control of Italy. The pocket should be out of supply but due to HOI4's mechanics it isn't, so digging them out of the Alps is going to be annoying. I'm likely going to push on to Spain before turning back and finally taking Berlin; I need to be in physical posession of the German territory to avoid it reverting back to Allied powers (mainly France) when Germany capitulates.

There is a bed at Spence's Homestead so you can get away with not having a bedroll... as long as you make it there... which... *wolf howls in the distance*
Spoiler :

Something that recently hit me... I was thinking about how awesome of a base location the Airport hangar was, because it has an indoor forge AND workbench... then I realized that it's not so awesome, because since both are in the basement, you can't actually use the workbench unless there is an aurora to activate the lights down there.

But that's one of the enjoyable/challenging things about the game... every location has pluses and minuses
I found the hangar to be too far from resources, even at Stalker. I liked the house up on the island/hill better. Not having a workbench would require a trip to the hangar eventually, but I was there for a month and never needed it.

3.jpg

@EvaDK And how was it? Is it as good as you expected?

Fired up Factorio and tried a few mods. One of the overhaul mods I’ve forgotten into is Industrial Revolution 3.

Spoiler :
I left my rifle at Hunter's Lodge !!! :cry:
I found the hangar to be too far from resources, even at Stalker. I liked the house up on the island/hill better. Not having a workbench would require a trip to the hangar eventually, but I was there for a month and never needed it.
Yes the Airport is ridiculously far away from, well... everything... Even putting aside how ridiculously far away the Forsaken Airfield region is from all the other maps in the game.. the Airport itself... like most airports, is super isolated, so you can see a zillion miles in any direction from the airport, but the catch is that you have to walk that same zillion miles to get anywhere from there... thinking about it... I need to get the hell out of there... I have the radio, that's why I came, I need to go back to "civilization"... pun intended.

I left my rifle at Hunter's Lodge !!! :cry:
Well, you (probably) need to practice bow-hunting for Interloper anyway. In order to hit a deer without spooking it, you need to be able to arc your shots (alternately, you could get quick enough to creep up on it while crouched, then stand and fire before it runs - I've never been able to do that, but I'm assuming it's possible). You also need to be able to hit a wolf while it's coming for you, when it's zig-zagging. In both cases, you want to be able to hit them in the head, to drop them in one shot.

I've never figured out how to properly track a bleeding animal. I almost always lose the tracks before the animal bleeds out. I don't know if there's a trick to it, or if the blood trail is only meant to narrow down the area for you, but if it's the latter, I don't even find it that helpful. It doesn't provide a 'general direction', because bleeding animals always run around like lunatics, and depending on how badly you hurt them, they can run all over Creation. Usually, I just go looking for the carcass the next day. Sometimes I find it and I'm like, 'how the f did you get way over here?' Sometimes I just never find it. It's even possible for a wounded wolf or deer to recover and not die from the wound before the bleeding stops. On a big map like Forsaken Airfield, if I don't drop a deer on the first shot, it and my arrow are usually just gone forever. That's why I like hunting deer in Raven Falls; there's nowhere for a wounded deer to run. I can just wait and then go find it the next day (there's also no wolves there).

Yes the Airport is ridiculously far away from, well... everything... Even putting aside how ridiculously far away the Forsaken Airfield region is from all the other maps in the game.. the Airport itself... like most airports, is super isolated, so you can see a zillion miles in any direction from the airport, but the catch is that you have to walk that same zillion miles to get anywhere from there... thinking about it... I need to get the hell out of there... I have the radio, that's why I came, I need to go back to "civilization"... pun intended.
Yeah, Forsaken Airfield is officially an Expedition in my book, like Ash Canyon or Hushed River Valley. The airport is where I tested my theory regarding wolf smell distance, and whether you can evade wolves while carrying a lot of meat by staying downwind. Unfortunately, the technique is really only applicable in places where you can see wolves from so far away that they haven't smelled you yet, and there aren't many places that fit that bill.

where I tested my theory regarding wolf smell distance, and whether you can evade wolves while carrying a lot of meat by staying downwind.
Downwind or upwind?

Was just plundering a dungeon and minding my own business cleansing it for ghouls and skeletons, when the Butcher randomly spawned and completely wrecked my character in about 5 secs. I think my heartrate skyrocketed to 120bpm hahaha :lol:

Downwind or upwind?
Downwind, so the wind is blowing the animal's smell towards you, not your smell towards the animal. If you're hunting or trying to avoid predators (in the game or irl), you want to be downwind. Conversely, if you ever have to navigate around a wildfire or forest fire irl, you want to go around the upwind side. Not because of the odor - although not inhaling a lot of smoke is a nice bonus - but because the wind drives the fire's direction.

Was just plundering a dungeon and minding my own business cleansing it for ghouls and skeletons, when the Butcher randomly spawned and completely wrecked my character in about 5 secs. I think my heartrate skyrocketed to 120bpm hahaha :lol:
I never played Diablo 3. Maybe I'll see if it's on sale, now that 4 is out.

I never played Diablo 3. Maybe I'll see if it's on sale, now that 4 is out.
Diablo 2 was a fabulous game and the remastered version likely has improvements. But PoE is better. :D

Last edited:
It's not. Maybe later this month, though I'm not sure if Blizzard does seasonal sales.
I recall they do, though I don’t really pay that much attention on their store page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom