Where are saved games located? (Mac)

georgie

Warlord
I've been playing CiV 6 on my work laptop but I am leaving the company I work for tomorrow and will have to return my laptop.

Where can I find the actual save files? I want to save these for when I have a computer of my own to play from.

This question was answered quite a few times in the Macintosh subforum here ;)

But not sure if there's a direct thread with that exact title, so here goes, it's in ~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/

To access it, the two easiest ways are:

1- go to finder, press the opt (or alt) key and go the Go menu, and select Library, then navigate to Application Support and then Sid Meier's Civilization VI

2- in Finder once again, press cmd-shift-g and enter ~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/

Sorry for not looking harder and clogging up the forums!

Thank you! I was able to get them and save them!

I've stuck this thread, as no doubt there will be more players looking for this information.

Hi
  • The folder ~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/ doesn't exist on my Mac. There is no "Sid Meier's Civilization VI" folder in my "Application Support" folder.
  • There is also no folder /Users/<username>/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/. There is no "Sid Meier's Civilization VI" folder in my "Documents" folder.
Any idea where else I can look for the folder that contains my save data/mod data? I installed the game via Steam.

Thanks

Are you looking in the right Library folder? There are several, but the one you need is invisible until you use one of the options described in the post above.

Hi, I'm new here.
I follow above instructions but I can't find the right file, I has been typing on terminal to show hidden files, but I didn't find it.
What's wrong?
apologized for my own mistakes. I am not a native English speaker
regards.

Hi, I'm new here.
I follow above instructions but I can't find the right file, I has been typing on terminal to show hidden files, but I didn't find it.
What's wrong?
apologized for my own mistakes. I am not a native English speaker
regards.

The folder you are looking for is where Narmox described in the post above. However that folder is not created when you install the game.You need to run the game on your Mac so that it can create the Sid Meier's Civilization VI save folder. There is no need to use terminal to access the folder.

Last edited:
I've tried both methods, but the folder doesn't exist. (I've also looked in both Library folders - the Users one and the main hard drive one) Anywhere else they might be?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 4.07.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 4.07.14 PM.png
    20 KB · Views: 647
Are you running the Steam version or the AppStore version?

Hi, I can't find it either, and I got the game through Aspyr from the App Store. I've searched the finder for "Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ6.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/" and it's not there. I can't even find an aspyr folder in the library at all. I also searched through the terminal for "open ~/Library/Application\ Support/Sid\ Meier\'s\ Civilization\ VI/Saves" and found nothing there either. I'm looking for my log files, help :(

And what about Steam? How do I find them if I am using the Steam version of the game? Thanks.

Some files are hiding on Mac.
Use Keyboard Shortcut
Fortunately for those of you running macOS Sierra or later, Apple has added a Finder keyboard shortcut that makes viewing hidden files a fair bit easier:

• Open Finder
  • Go to your Main Drive (Macintosh HD by default)
  • Press and hold Shift+command(⌘)+.(dot)
  • You will see hidden folders become visible

So now that we found the savegame folder - how do we edit saved games?? :)

Some files are hiding on Mac.
Use Keyboard Shortcut
Fortunately for those of you running macOS Sierra or later, Apple has added a Finder keyboard shortcut that makes viewing hidden files a fair bit easier:

• Open Finder
  • Go to your Main Drive (Macintosh HD by default)
  • Press and hold Shift+command(⌘)+.(dot)
  • You will see hidden folders become visible

You can delete files in that folder, but you can't edit a saved game to change its data unless you know the binary format of the save file. If you find out the format, please let me know!

Top Bottom