Where are the Reagents?

mcwill123

Pretender to the Throne
I'm playing EreberusContinent map 0.41 L, Balseraph, Emperor difficulity. I'm approaching a domination victory and still no reagents. The same thing happened the last time that I played Balseraph. That was the same settings, only I believe it was patch J. If it matters, I set all of the terrain types to random, along with random sea leval and high cohesion when I generate the map. Am I doing something wrong? Do Balseraphs not understand what reagents are?

I'm playing on ErebusContinent right now, with patch m, and there are reagents on my map. However, on standard (default) maps it is a problem unless you choose the "Balanced" resource option. Apparently reagents are down at the bottom of the game's distribution of resources, so if there's just no space left for them, they are left off. Anyway, since reagents are still at the bottom of that list when generating ErebusContinent maps, my guess is that they're pretty rare and possibly don't appear at all sometimes. As I recall, that can happen with mithril too.

Sounds like just bad luck. There's nothing wrong with the map script or with Balsaraphs.

Reagents are always visible, so either they are there or they aren't (they don't require any special tech, and new ones can't be discovered during the game). What civ you are playing has no effect.

Playing with the game option that doubles the number of resources in the game ("Blessing of Amathon", iirc) increases the chance of this problem, especially on smaller maps (or maps with lots of mountains, since those tiles are not available for resources).

How many AI civs?
I found the more civs, the fewer reagent resources on the map (relatively to the map size - of course).

How many AI civs?
I found the more civs, the fewer reagent resources on the map (relatively to the map size - of course).

Standard map and normal number of civs. I made the post originally, because I thought maybe I was missing something. I thought by the time my country was controlling over half of the world, they could find one litle reagent bush. :)

Some map settings don't put reagents in. I have one very memorable game playing regular BTS, on a tectonics/Mediterranean map where there was no oil at all. Similar things can happen for reagents as well, as it is considered more of a late game resource, similar to iron/mithril.

-Colin

Easy answer to stop that ever happening. Catacomb Librarus supplies one source of Reagents. There was that really late game expensive wonder that I thinks been removed, Caminus Aurous or something. Perhaps add that back in to supply 1 source of Mithril.

Top Bottom