Where do I find the Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfie

Warlord
How come no where on the internet is this new patch for civ 5?
Even in the download section of this site. All previous civs have a patch category there except for civ 5.

PS: I dont want to/can get it trough steam (Unless there is a non-auto update way to do it)

Even in the download section of this site. All previous civs have a patch category there except for civ 5.

PS: I dont want to/can get it trough steam (Unless there is a non-auto update way to do it)

Why can't you get it through steam?

Can you physically plug your gaming PC into the modem/router, assuming you don't have wireless access?

My Pc is a long distance form the router (that's why it was a lot of work to validate civ V). I dont want to spend 2 hours (and a lot of mess left behind) for every patch that is released. thats why im looking for a better solution :).

If it is that much bother I wouldn't worry about the patch unless you feel you need it. Perhaps you should wait until you can move your PC for the larger patches that will likely come later.

My Pc is a long distance form the router (that's why it was a lot of work to validate civ V). I dont want to spend 2 hours (and a lot of mess left behind) for every patch that is released. thats why im looking for a better solution :).

Sorry, the only way to get the update is to be connected through steam.

Unfortunatly my civ game has crashed some times, so i do feel i need it :(. Hopefully in time the ptach will appear on other sites too.

Unfortunatly my civ game has crashed some times, so i do feel i need it :(. Hopefully in time the ptach will appear on other sites too.

Sorry mate, but don't count on it. When a game is only available through Steam, patches are only released through it, never as files you can download and patch manually.

The way I see, you have a few options:

1) Buy a really long LAN cable, so that you could connect your computer to the internet, from where ever it is.

2) Download Civilization V to the computer which is connected to the internet, and then burn it to a DVD or put it on a USB stick (you could compress and split it with winrar, so that if you only have a single 1GB USB stick, you would still be able to move it from your internet PC to your gaming PC). You would then just have to overwrite the existing Civilization V folder on your gaming pc, with the new Civilization V folder on the DVD or USB stick.

3) Taking down your gaming PC, and then setting it up near your router shouldn't take very long. Of course, it's not convenient, but it should only take you about 5 minutes to do.

Hope it helps.

Sorry mate, but don't count on it. When a game is only available through Steam, patches are only released through it, never as files you can download and patch manually.

The way I see, you have a few options:

1) Buy a really long LAN cable, so that you could connect your computer to the internet, from where ever it is.

2) Download Civilization V to the computer which is connected to the internet, and then burn it to a DVD or put it on a USB stick (you could compress and split it with winrar, so that if you only have a single 1GB USB stick, you would still be able to move it from your internet PC to your gaming PC). You would then just have to overwrite the existing Civilization V folder on your gaming pc, with the new Civilization V folder on the DVD or USB stick.

I doubt RAR or ZIP could compress the 5+ GB enough to fit on 1GB.

However, Steam does offer a backup/restore capability, which can split files to dvd-size or CD-size... so 4x640MB files would be manageable.

Maybe there's a way of determining which files the steam patch updates and then just putting those on a usb and overwriting them into the civ directory. Also if thats possible, someone with civ 5 could potentially send him the files in an email or some such.

One of the biggest advantages for DRM is the Steam only patching. They will never release a standalone file for this reason.

hmm the new form of DRM, release a bugged flawed game, with patching to correct said flaws only available through steam. god I hate DRM

So your pc is a long distance from the router? What the other room, or another floor? Give me a break. I drive to my mothers house to patch, and hoestly it takes 5 mins tops to set up. I'd give my left nut to be able to carry it downstairs or whatever to update.

Because handing out the patch to people who have pirated the game is dumb.

hmm the new form of DRM, release a bugged flawed game, with patching to correct said flaws only available through steam. god I hate DRM

I'll take that over limited installs or requiring connectivity on every launch. "Steam DRM" only hurts pirates and patches for people without internet for prolonged periods of time, where the second group isn't enough people to justify NOT using this method. I'm assuming this is Firaxis' point of view based on their choice of making it a Steam exclusive.

One of the biggest advantages for DRM is the Steam only patching. They will never release a standalone file for this reason.
Any DRM effect is a side effect, the main reason VALVe implemented automatic updating was so they could get immediately results within the first two days after putting out a patch as to how well the patch worked and was received. Plus, as with ALL digitally downloaded games, the .exe is slightly modified so the regular patch probably won't work even if there was a non-steam/digital version.

Maybe there's a way of determining which files the steam patch updates and then just putting those on a usb and overwriting them into the civ directory. Also if thats possible, someone with civ 5 could potentially send him the files in an email or some such.

USB sticks can hold many gigs of data now for relatively cheap, like an 8 gig stick which should be large enough.

Almost every single game is released with some bugs, Civ5's release is no exception and is certainly far, far from the worst.

I'm trying to fathom in this day and age having a game machine (pc or console) without internet.

Why would you do that?

Almost every single game is released with some bugs, Civ5's release is no exception and is certainly far, far from the worst.

I was talking in general, seems to be a trend, either that or people are just rushing games with the knowledge that bugs can be ironed out over a few months and its better to make that quarters targets or whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom