Which movies have you watched? ' --not an iota of bad movies; but maybe bad taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyriakos

Creator
This is the 10nth thread (iota, "ι") on this subject. It contains- as the tradition goes- only an iota of the previous threads, ie the absolute last one:

Which movies have you watched? IX

I rewatched Angelheart yesterday. A great movie by Allan Parker, starring an 80s Mickey Rourke, Lisa Bonet, and Deniro also in a cameo-ish but important role in the plot :)

8/10, i like the atmosphere there. It likely influenced Jaine Jennsen's classic 90s adventure game Gabriel Knight 1. Filmed mostly in New Orleans, it has voodoo as a main theme.

Link to video.

Last edited:
I have recently re-watched Tommy Wiseau's epic masterpiece, The Room. It's a classic American badgood dark comedy with the best writing ever (so long as you are drunk while viewing it).

Watching the Back to the Future flicks which were just on AMC.

Interestingly, BTTF II takes place in 2015. Did they ever get that wrong! Flying cars, hoverboards, 3D sharks ads for Jaws 19, houses with doors that don't have doorknobs...

Interestingly, BTTF II takes place in 2015. Did they ever get that wrong! No flying cars, no hoverboards, no houses with doors without doorknobs...

In fact 2015 looks even more boring and low-tech than most 80s movies :\

(although hotels often have doors opening with cards, not keys-- some few apartment buildings also use cards).

Pompeii which would have been a disappointment if I hadn't already has such low expectations.

It bills itself as an action/love story. Neither the leading man, nor the leading woman have any chrisma, and there's no chemistry between them and so the love story is DOA. The action stuff is pretty standard.

The special effects are spectacular, with the ironic exception of the volcanic eruption which pales in comparison to the real thing. Small and puny, it would have been dwarfed by the real eruption. The moviemakers missed the fact that most people in Pompeii were cooked to death by the intense heat coming off the volcano.

How to Train Your Dragon 2.

Nazi apologists

Solid film, solid franchise (at least 1 and 2). I adored 1, and 2 definitely was strong.

Interestingly, BTTF II takes place in 2015. Did they ever get that wrong! Flying cars, hoverboards, 3D sharks ads for Jaws 19, houses with doors that don't have doorknobs...

Don't forget the Cubs winning the world series

Terminator: Genisys

Grammatical shenanigans in the title aside, it was neat seeing the homages to the original Terminator towards the beginning, but the movie on the whole just isn't good enough to reboot the franchise, and most everyone seems to agree given how badly it's doing in the box office.

Pompeii which would have been a disappointment if I hadn't already has such low expectations.

It bills itself as an action/love story. Neither the leading man, nor the leading woman have any chrisma, and there's no chemistry between them and so the love story is DOA. The action stuff is pretty standard.

The special effects are spectacular, with the ironic exception of the volcanic eruption which pales in comparison to the real thing. Small and puny, it would have been dwarfed by the real eruption. The moviemakers missed the fact that most people in Pompeii were cooked to death by the intense heat coming off the volcano.

Yeah, they missed their chance to make it a disaster movie, choosing instead to have a subpar action flick with a disaster in it.

How to Train Your Dragon 2.

Nazi apologists

Solid film, solid franchise (at least 1 and 2). I adored 1, and 2 definitely was strong.

A most excellent franchise :)

It Follows (2015 movie). Hm... actually i liked it considerably.

Link to video.

Good elements:
-Very atmospheric electro music (much like in the first Halloween, but better)
-Rather cool plot
-Cinematography was good overall, perhaps not anything very memorable but surely good
-Idea is somewhat original

Not so good elements:
-Scene editing was not optimal in my view (movie progression)
-A bit too vague in the end
-Last third of the movie was not - in my view - as good as the previous 2/3rds of it

Diagnosis:
-Surely worth a watch, a solid new horror film :)

Escape From New York (1981). Awww yeah!

A Single Man (2009), the sole feature yet directed by fashion designer Tom Ford.

It's remarkable for a first effort, no doubt. I love the photography work, and colouring. Colouring is a huge part of the film, and it was done wonderfully. I had been wanting to see it since it came out, and finally did it after reading the novel. It could have been adapted better. There are significant deviations from it which aren't always played well, or seemingly unnecessary. Specifically, there is an overabundance of dialogue in some parts and a lack of meaningfulness in others. The thing is, dialogue makes the plot advance at some crucial points, and those were the weakest bits. The film dwelt on flashbacks, which is of course not necessarily bad and is in fact well played, but for such an extensive rewrite the film could have used a few more minutes (precisely to include the meaningful dialogue).

In short, it was a visually beautiful film and surprisingly well crafted for a first effort, with strong performances but uneven writing and occasionally going off on dead ends.

7.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom