Which movies have you watched? ' --not an iota of bad movies; but maybe bad taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brokeback Mountain was 2005, which is close enough.

Brokeback Mountain, you say?

I haven't seen it. Nor, closet homophobe that I most likely must be, have I felt inclined to see it. (Though I likely might, if it appeared on TV, and my friend recorded it for me.)

But is it good?

Arrival and Passengers, both from 2016, over the weekend. The former was confusing but enjoyable, the latter was disturbing and a bummer. I might rewatch Arrival to see if it makes any more sense the 2nd time around. Passengers just kind of made me sad, not quite worked up enough to be angry.
I only watched Passengers an hour in.
But so far... I just HAD to respond.
Passengers was (so far) fantastic. So fantastic in such a crucial way. Yes it fisted what is right. To just fist - random animal. To fist for a good reason and to fist well - great art. Because that is the place where we can penetrate what it actually means to be human. Rather than what your constructed idea of BS tells you. Your moral code which makes you "disturbed". With the only real function so that we can applaud your conformity and your internal audience can applaud as well. Because social webbing is all, am I right? Well it may be all, but this dude got NONE. And facing that, your empathy falls into the pits of conformity. Into an echo chamber of right. Mine fell into a tunnel of real focus. Of what matters, fundamentally rather than socially. And those fundamentals AND their projections - that is exactly what great art is ALL about!
What would you do, given the same situation? Sci-Fi is, when it is goood, all about that. And passengers did it, like few movies before. I am utterly estranged by the at best mediocre reviews. Sure some things where not stellar, but as a whole, it is a great... not work. But try. And it tries well enough to be really good in the end. Because so few do try, what I laid out. To go where it hurts, where it tells, where it, fundamentally, projects.
Interstellar tried that. And I am sure the author is very proud of himself. And all he gets are dumb bricks of fecal verbal exposure. Social drones uttering their program. Only able to measure the world in terms of who likes them and who should like them.
Just watch Soap Opera.

I mean it's a fairly interesting premise, but it would have been better as a low-key sci-fi drama without the action.

The last part got... issues.
Spoilers ahead. Out of principle necessity, but also because my whole dream movie just got erased by exploding rick dicks. Exploding dicks. I want exploding dick! Got them dem one of the few times I wish I was a youtube celebrity making it rain exploding dick.
Spoiler :

When the third char died -- immediate head to the crew cabin?!!!!!!! We have seen the engine - and mad probs to whoever designed it because it for once looks real - no freaking engineer is fixing this crap. You NEED experts. So... freaking wake any expert up! Because..... Yeah. YOU JUSt gOT THE KEY BAAAND: MAAAAAN. But no, we got some tech guy, and he knows the prob! "Something BIIG.... girl"
There is the scene where they are "taking care of" Arthur, the bartender.... just WTF. Any witness should comprehend. Juuuuust.... Maaaan.

Also, no precautions for the case? Because "for thousand journeys no issue ensued"? Hahahaha... said the guy never having faced open space. It is like a sea captain shutting anyone in his 1 meter iron bucket because a wave spilled over board. That is the tech of the future. Creating solvable dramas for few people.

How about detecting a meteor smashing your freaking engine and waking a prepared crew, oh almighty high-tech colony future ship?
You can even name the meteor Aurora. Since we know machines need style to stay. Machines are like a rap crew. We understand. "I don't care! You don't style I don't style! Huiahahaha! (Oscar ensures - the "i" makes the difference, FOOL)""
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Borachio has 24 hours from the timestamp of post #1000 to create the new thread, otherwise the honours pass to Takhisis and then Kosmos.

(It looks like Borachio and I simul-posted, so like twins, Borachio will have forever beaten me out.) :(

I see Terx and I largely share an opinion on the movie. This is why it's no good to review movies before they're over. They can always get even more stupid, or give you a twist worth the wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom