Which real life civs won which victory conditions

I think part of reason that USA fit most of Cultural Victory and Science Victory condition because this game make in USA... Like, if your civ are great, your civ will accomplish what USA had in real life... besides waiting for 2050 AD or destroy everyone or bribing half of the world.

Refer to my Apollo/Soyuz program, I wonder what other localization call "Apollo program" in this game. Especially Japanese, Chinese and Korean localization.

Which was not fortiotous. It was planned. Like it or not, it worked. Anyone can argue and desagree with that - but in english, so everyone can understand.

Well I think you are over-estimating the cultural influence of the USA. True, they are definitely a powerhouse in terms of culture but this would mainly apply to the Western World and not the enormity of Russia, China, Middle East and lots of South America which is a very big chunk of Earth. People here seem to be viewing culture on the merits of Capitalist type exports such as McDonalds and Coca Cola and while they are definitely available World Wide, it is an odd way (in my eyes) to look at culture. A lot of the opinions are being viewed through Western eyes and I really don't think a lot of people realise that this influence isn't as heavy as people think - I have travelled a good portion of the World and I can tell you, it's not a prominent as people think.

Besides if you consider that Rome, Greece, Egypt, etc had relics since antiquity (therefore a lot of culture amassed through the ages) , the modern Works of Art from the US haven't quite catch up.

Agree with HughFran - the view that US culture is present everywhere is mainly a Western-centric view based on the media you're using.
- In the US you mainly watch American media, hear about US centric news and when you see news from outside, it's biased
- Same in Europe, Japan, and many other countries
- Pretty sure that people in Italy, Spain, China,... would argue that their culture is at least as good and while American culture is interesting for "leisure", when it comes to Masterpieces (painting, dance, sculptures, poetry) they are on par with them (and don't start on Hollywood, while some movies are indeed really good, most of them are terrible, and some of the finest films done have been directed by French, Italian, Japanese, Korean,... directors)

All to say that in the end, in my opinion, there is no one clearly winning on that side.

Well I think you are over-estimating the cultural influence of the USA. True, they are definitely a powerhouse in terms of culture but this would mainly apply to the Western World and not the enormity of Russia, China, Middle East and lots of South America which is a very big chunk of Earth. People here seem to be viewing culture on the merits of Capitalist type exports such as McDonalds and Coca Cola and while they are definitely available World Wide, it is an odd way (in my eyes) to look at culture. A lot of the opinions are being viewed through Western eyes and I really don't think a lot of people realise that this influence isn't as heavy as people think - I have travelled a good portion of the World and I can tell you, it's not a prominent as people think.

Well, let's take India as example. A millenar culture with it's own religion known all over the world. They maintain their culture and religion to these days, but you will find McDonalds in the streets and I assume most people will identify the melody of Singing In The Rain. Yet they have their own strong movie industry, the next Hollywood blockbuster will be at every movie theater. USA culture is not dominant in India, but sure it's influential (to keep coherence with the game machanics, it's already enough to win).

As for Russia, it seems they went for an early Ideoly, but were forced to change it before they could pick any 3rd tier tenet, due to ideological pressure. They were working too hard on military and science, but ignored how important culture is (they've killed Maiakovski and prohibited Eisenstein from working - no wonder they've lost).

Middle-East (Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan) is yet another history. We all know from the game that, when going for a CV, other civs have none but two option: you buy my jeans or you eat my bombs. Since the 50's USA have been droping bombs in places where people refuse to buy their jeans, yet it has created some warmonger hate (quite small, I must say, for all the atrocities USA has done).

Bombs were not needed in China (and we are all very thankfull for that). They did not switch ideology since the Cultural Revolution in the 60's, but tongue surgery being made for a better pronunciation of the english language is a strong indicative of how USA culture is strong in that country.

As for South America, culturaly dominating that continent was a very imporant part of the world domination strategy called Operation Condor. Now, asides people living in a places without television and internet - which there quite a few in South America - everyone if influentied but rocknroll or eletronic or hip hop music (all american) - raybans, NBA hats, spiderman movies and stuff like that.

Of course geopolitical is not as simple as it could be uderstood or explained through Civilization analogies, but I guess making fun of it is the point of this discussion. I stand my argument: USA has won and the fact that we are all talking in english here - despite our native language - is yet another evidence.

I stand my argument: USA has won and the fact that we are all talking in english here - despite our native language - is yet another evidence.

Last I checked, English is native of England, not America. If you want to go down that route then England has won the cultural battle seeing as they spread their language all over the World. Also, a quick Google search will show the the UK is actually more influencial World wide than the USA. Last I checked, UK music was doing very strong in the US charts, most major movies have a high percentage of Brit cast (considering the population size difference) and a lot of UK TV programs are being remade in the US.

Your examples of cultural influence in other countries from the US seem weak to me and I stand by my argument that culture is not just achieved by how much pop-culture media you can export. People in India are just as likely to know a Beatles song as they are the song you mentioned. People in Europe are just as likely to eat an Indian takeaway as they are a McDonalds. I also find it bizarre that people keep side stepping other cultural elements such as art, history, language and also the fact that out of all the countries in the World, US probably has the biggest amount of externally influenced habits from OTHER countries - especially the food they eat.

Last I checked, English is native of England, not America. If you want to go down that route then England has won the cultural battle seeing as they spread their language all over the World. Also, a quick Google search will show the the UK is actually more influencial World wide than the USA. Last I checked, UK music was doing very strong in the US charts, most major movies have a high percentage of Brit cast (considering the population size difference) and a lot of UK TV programs are being remade in the US.

Your examples of cultural influence in other countries from the US seem weak to me and I stand by my argument that culture is not just achieved by how much pop-culture media you can export. People in India are just as likely to know a Beatles song as they are the song you mentioned. People in Europe are just as likely to eat an Indian takeaway as they are a McDonalds. I also find it bizarre that people keep side stepping other cultural elements such as art, history, language and also the fact that out of all the countries in the World, US probably has the biggest amount of externally influenced habits from OTHER countries - especially the food they eat.

Yeah, but in Civ, to get theming bonuses you need other cultures great works of art. Tourism is not just about what you your self can produce but also you can steal (digs), conquer (city capture) and trade for culture (swap).

Yeah, but in Civ, to get theming bonuses you need other cultures great works of art. Tourism is not just about what you your self can produce but also you can steal (digs), conquer (city capture) and trade for culture (swap).

Speaking of stealing artifacts from digs, do you know where the Rosetta stone has ended up? Or the Elgin marbles? Those are just ones off the top of my head in the British museum but if you're looking tourism in one country provided by another civilization then I think all the European empires have America beat from that.

Edit: I'm also going to point out that living in England, I never wear jeans and never eat at Mcdonald's even though there's one less than a mile from me. Both things which keep coming up as symbols of American influence. While it's important in Western civilization, I don't think it's dominant yet in civ terms even if it is influential.

Very true, in which case there are many cultural contenders such as the Louvre in Paris, France or the British Museum. I can see this topic has sparked quite a bit of debate and I guess it's too hard to definitely say who tops the culture chart. Everybody will have an opinion - some are subjective and others are objective!

McDonalds and Starbucks are pretty popular overseas but so are other cultures artifacts here:

Hondas, Toyotas, Mitsubishi, Maruti, Suzuki, etc.? - Japan

Yoga, Tikka Masala, Bollywood? - India

Chinese Food and "Made in China" products? - China

Movies, Fast Food, Jeans? - America

Rolex? Swiss

Croissant, Baguettes, and Crepes (I realize not everyone eats these but they are everywhere!) - France

So the question is "Who's influencing who?"

Sure America has spread their culture, but so has it had culture spread to them.

I would strongly disagree with American Music. One could argue the old time hits like Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, but recent music is pretty trashy. Maybe in clubs but thats about it. (Personal Opinion).

I've mainly traveled to England and India and movies only top hits like Dark Knight Trilogy was known. No mention of American Music. They knew the president and food. I've lived in US for a long time and the game was made in the US so its going to be US Centric.

Also last I check - English -> England.

Culture: America is the leader currently, but it's not Dominant in the Civ sense.

Conquest: Has basically been disabled after 1945.... The US might lead this since we control the Shoshone, Iroquois and Polynesian capitals.

Science: Again, America, as the only one to complete the Apollo Program. The US also built the Hubble and is the majority of the ISS.

Diplomatic: Gridlocked. America or China would be the frontrunners.

Domination: Present, no one but historically Rome. There Empire lasted longer then the Mongols.

Cultural: America is currently the strongest followed by France and Japan.

Science: America, might change in like a decade.

Diplomatic: Impossible to say I guess one of the five permanent UN members being America, China, Russia, UK and France but I feel America and China are most influential on there since America has been influencing all of Western Europe for awhile including two of the five listed.

Culture: america, france,japan
Diplo: greece (long time ago) china or america now
Domination: rome because they conquered all the known world (barbarians didn't have real capitals) they had madrid london rome paris carthage and all nord africa
Science: babilon china japan america
Time: china is winning for population

Culture: america, france,japan
Diplo: greece (long time ago) china or america now
Domination: rome because they conquered all the known world (barbarians didn't have real capitals) they had madrid london rome paris carthage and all nord africa
Science: babilon china japan america
Time: china is winning for population

The Mongols and British holds the top 2 spots for the biggest empire ever. Time is only won by the highest score, and it is difficult to give nations accurate scores. But as time victory ends in 2050 by default, India would have surpass China in terms of population by that time.

The Mongols and British holds the top 2 spots for the biggest empire ever. Time is only won by the highest score, and it is difficult to give nations accurate scores. But as time victory ends in 2050 by default, India would have surpass China in terms of population by that time.

China has higher land and at least 3 wonders
Rome had maybe the higher number of capital but idk exactly
England and mongols was surely bigger

I am not upset about anything KillerNacho. My point is that there are far more significant things that culture is based on than media output. You are trying to say that it is because of America that English is important yet half the known World spoke it before America was even discovered. I think it's unfair to give America the cultural credit for a language that originated elsewhere. I am Irish, I consider Gaelic as culturally significant to my country. I'm sure the English feel very proud that their language is spoken Worldwide and therefore the cultural significance should go to them.

GKShaman raises a very good point that America is a very difficult one to pin down because it is an amalgamation of many different nationalities and ethnic backgrounds. Sure doesn't a very high proportion claim to be from an Irish background for example? Irish, Italian and other cultures are celebrated SIGNIFICANTLY in America. My argument is that people are focusing very significantly on certain aspects of America culture (whcih I am not denying is very strong) but I think GKShaman raises excellent points that other cultural influences are felt World wide but people tend to not notice them as much becuase we see them every day - and yes, you can barely walk 20 feet without seeing a Chinese takeaway!

By that logic, I would argue the inverse (of the USA being culturally dominant). I would argue that they're at least familiar to most of the cultural giants.

Domination - USA - they control four capitals (Iroquois, Shoshone, Polynesia, America)

Diplomacy - China - they have made massive investments in key developing nations around the world (extra gold influence), follow WI (Freedom), and built the Forbidden Palace.

Science - China, they've almost reached Fusion, and they almost have an AP up. Although the USA sniped Hubble and built the AP, the Chinese managed to get Universities and Research labs up in all its major cities, something the USA lacks.

Cultural - Tied between UK, USA, and potentially Japan.

Time - China might take this one - they currently have the most wonders (Forbidden Palace, Terracotta Army, Great Firewall, Great Wall - the Porcelain Tower was razed by rebels), close to most tech, second in pop, founded two religions, and have a significant amount of influence in the UN.

Its somewhere between India and China being 1st or 2nd depending on what year that happened and then the US being 3rd in pop.

I can't believe no one said this, but didn't Greece win a Domination Victory in 324BC? We're just living a really long "just one more turn."

Top Bottom