Who is the better warmonger?

Who is the better warmonger?

• Shaka

Votes: 107 74.8%
  • Atilla

Votes: 36 25.2%

• Total voters
Attila for me. Battering Ram and Horse Archer just great. I'm currently playing as Attila on King; I took 2 cities of greeks and also their capital, I took 2 cities of germans and also their capital, I took Songhai's 2 cities plus capital. my army now on way to dutch empire...

Anyway, in MP, Attila can destroy any faction too early and so easily.

I voted for Atilla. When the Huns show up in my games, they tend to become a nuisance early on. When the Zulus show up in my games, they tend to get declawed before they can even get their Impis and have a chance to cause havoc.

Apart from Shakas need to denounce everyone 1 turn after he met them I;d say he has the better bonus, less exp for promos = win if you use it right.

Tough choice but I'm going with Atilla. Playing against them, I can normally do enough to Shaka early enough to keep him in line (up to immortal). Atilla is risky.

Playing as them, I can never get the happiness situation in line to dominate by the the Renaissance anyway, which is where the two balance out for my dom strategy. I'd rather get the early bonus and clear my area than wait to conquer.

Attila is the only neighbor I fear. He is the only guy I will build an extra couple units or research Composites early for. If one ram gets at attack on your city you are in trouble.

Shaka doesn't scare me, his job is to get me double strike crossbows and great general culture bombs.

Only int he Ancient and Classical Eras. Every other Era, Shaka is the clear winner. ;)

Yes, but Shaka would still need to survive Attila's Ancient/Classical onslaught first. He can't put up much of a fight in the Renaissance Era if he's dead and buried by then.

Yes, but Shaka would still need to survive Attila's Ancient/Classical onslaught first. He can't put up much of a fight in the Renaissance Era if he's dead and buried by then.

You've clearly never had to play against Ikanda-boosted Spearmen. They're practically a UU unto themselves.

In my immortal games, I always select opponents to make sure that there is adequate challenge. Alex always makes the list. So does Shaka. Attila used to be on the list, but too often he fizzles out after a failed first attack, and he is the most useless AI after that. Shaka is still dangerous in the Renaissance, and can run away with the game. The Attila AI has never done that IME.

I would go with Atilla. While cheap melee units is nice but Rams can clearly devastate cities early on. Also razing at double speed means that you can get rid of useless cities quickly. Impis are really strong in tactical sense but they aren't that great against cities. Unfortunately AI armies rarely pose much threat. The only trouble in conquest is taking down their cities ASAP which Attila is good at due to their awesome Ram unit. And horse archers can also do pretty well against any unit who try to attack rams.

In human Vs human, Shaka would have the advantage though as the opponent player would target rams specifically & carpet of doom handled by a human can be dreadful to fight against.

You've clearly never had to play against Ikanda-boosted Spearmen. They're practically a UU unto themselves.
Ever faced a ram knocking on your city gates on turn 11 ?

Talking about late warmongering, i do like Bismark.

All XP buildings including branderbourg gate, autocracy XP tenet + tank movement tenet + alhambra = Level 4 Panzers with healing and 8 movement. The most fun game I ever had.

Ever faced a ram knocking on your city gates on turn 11 ?

Yeah. I put a unit in front of it and Attila started crying because he didn't know what to do.

I'd take an army of Buffalo Spearmen over Rams/Horse Archers.

Along with the cheaper melee unit maintenance, Iklwa also makes promotions for all the Zulu units cheaper, requiring 25% less experience, which I failed to mention earlier. As for the Huns I don't know how borrowing city names from other in-game civs could be useful for scourge of god though. 25% less experience for promotion all game long for all units.

Depends. If you put Shaka and Atilla on a duel map, Atilla would wipe shaka in the first few turns. Hell, if you put anybody and Atilla on a duel map, they would get wiped in the first few turns.

Long term, Zulu are obviously the better choice. But I pity Atilla on this thread, so I'll vote for him.

AI does much better with Attila, but i think shaka is overall better.
Interestingly, in my current game as Celts on Emperor, Shaka puts up the best AI resistance I've ever encountered. I've played against him several times before where I've started next to him and (perhaps being a bit lucky) have managed to contain him early). However this game, we started on opposite sites of pangea continent with a huge mountain range separating us, and while I dominated my site (eliminated Maya and Korea to stop religious and science run-away) he dominated his site (eliminated India and conquered most of France and Iroqois) and became super wide and at the same time managed to stay on level with science. We're now up in atomic era and I finally have him on his knees, but it did take one of the longest and most challenging conquests I remember.

Yeah. I put a unit in front of it and Attila started crying because he didn't know what to do.

I'd take an army of Buffalo Spearmen over Rams/Horse Archers.

Just wow! :rolleyes: How many units do you have close to your city at turn 11??? Generally people send warriors for scouting.

And civ combat system heavily favours ranged attacks. So Horse Archers can easily kick the crap out of those buffaloes... err I mean buffalo spearmen.

Each has times and places that favor them. If Attila picks the map, they're playing a Pangaea, Duel, Marathon game. Shaka will do fine as long as he gets through Classical, so larger maps, more water, faster pace will all favor him. Post-Renaissance, neither really stand out. I'd take the 25% exp bonus over the +1 production from pastures, but neither is a game breaker.

Since Shaka has the broader range, I give him the edge.

Just wow! :rolleyes: How many units do you have close to your city at turn 11??? Generally people send warriors for scouting.

And civ combat system heavily favours ranged attacks. So Horse Archers can easily kick the crap out of those buffaloes... err I mean buffalo spearmen.

Buffalo Spearmen have three movement, resistance against ranged damage and a bonus against mounted, so they can get around the advantages of ranged pretty easily. I ignored your turn 11 scenario because you're assuming he's upgrading a warrior to a ram which is entirely based on luck. Shaka will have his army out faster than Attila if you don't reload until your warrior walks onto an upgrade ruin.

Top Bottom