Who will be the first New Millennial MLB player?

onejayhawk

Afflicted with reason
Which player born on or after 1 January 2000 will be the first to the major leagues?

Juan Soto, born 1998, was the youngest player in MLB this year. Many of the youngest prospects were born in 1999. A few were born in 2000. That will change in the coming months. Since it is such an obvious media hook, I expect someone to be pushed either this season or next.

A related question applies the principle to all other sports. Who will be the first major sports leaguer born in this millennium?

J

I think it was more likely to occur in the NBA due eligibility rules. So I'd be looking at the current crop of Freshmen.

It will most likely not be the NBA because any player that might fit the bill already would have. NHL likewise. I not sure about round-football professional leagues.

MLB can sign international prospects at age 16. If one of them was rushed through the system, he could get a cup of coffee before the next NBA season starts.

J

Last edited:
Yeah, probably hockey (Semyon Der-Arguchintsev)
But my money is still on the NBA since most first round picks usually go straight in.

Yeah, probably hockey (Semyon Der-Arguchintsev). But my money is still on the NBA since most first round picks usually go straight in.
But September comes first. Players like Wander Franco and Luis Garcia could push quickly through A and AA. If so, a September call up is not unlikely.

J

Top Bottom