Why is everyone from Sheffield?

jjkrause84

King
Anyone else notice that the economic/domestic adviser lady has a vaguely Sheffieldish accent? Add her to Sean Bean and it's like walkin' thru 'ole int road!

I'm sure it is just my own bias, but Sheffield (and Yorkshire in general) is usually not what I think of when I think 'timeless, classy, historic'. Then again, I live down sowf so what do I know....

I
Anyone else notice that the economic/domestic adviser lady has a vaguely Sheffieldish accent? Add her to Sean Bean and it's like walkin' thru 'ole int road!

I'm sure it is just my own bias, but Sheffield (and Yorkshire in general) is usually not what I think of when I think 'timeless, classy, historic'. Then again, I live down sowf so what do I know....

I did notice this too, but I've no problem with folks 'oop north', and to me at least they sound more historic than the typical American narrators :p.

Also, one of the songs played for England is "Scarborough Fair". There's some obvious bias here. LOL

Fun though; us foreigners see Yorkshire and the English north as quite quaint.

Oi mate a chav nicked me civ !

I think those particular accents are just something that British people pick up,I had no idea about Northern way of speech existing. I'm just glad to have British accents in the game, no wonder that all period films etc. have British actors.

Suits the game better than barbaric American accents.. ;)

I think Game of Thrones has helped thrust Northern English accents into the mainstream. I, for one, welcome our new Northern overlords :p.

Dont forget Downtown Abby for popularizing the Yorkshire burr. Y'konw, that country house all the way up in.....Hampshire.

I enjoyed my visit to Northern England several years ago. I found the diversity of accents quite pleasant. I particularly liked the one I heard in the Lake District.

By the way, just to be clear, I am joking about the accents not being 'right'....nothing against my northern mates! I just think that it's funny for an American game to pick a northern English accent as one of the unifying themes.

By the way, just to be clear, I am joking about the accents not being 'right'....nothing against my northern mates! I just think that it's funny for an American game to pick a northern English accent as one of the unifying themes.
In the language options for Civ VI, there's an option to choose the language for voice acting. There's only one for English: it's English (United States). Yet, it is more like English (Yorkshire).

It would have been great if there were an actual English (United States) setting as an option alongside English (United Kingdom) (the one currently used).

They probably got in touch with an Actor's guild to fill the rolls, which for whatever reason employs a lot of people from that region.

Last edited:
In the language options for Civ VI, there's an option to choose the language for voice acting. There's only one for English: it's English (United States). Yet, it is more like English (Yorkshire).

It would have been great if there were an actual English (United States) setting as an option alongside English (United Kingdom) (the one currently used).

Maybe English (United States), English (United Kingdom) and English (God's Own County)?

I loved it as soon as I heard her (the adviser) speak. It seemed so appropriate that her accent is the same as Bean's.
And it made me think of an interview with Kit Harrington; where they asked him about how they ended up doing Northern accents in GOT and he said that it had been decided they would as Sean Bean couldn't (or didn't want to) do a southern one lol
Makes sense that they're northern anyways...

As long as the written English is proper American, without all of those superfluous vowels, I'm fine with it. :D

Also there seems to be a large amount of Northern cities that are popping up in the English city list, Sheffield, Leeds, Bradford etc. :)

Perhaps we'll get a diversity of advisors with different accents in an update/expansion (hint hint, nudge nudge).:)

I petitioned for Garrison Keillor to narrate the quotes.

They said they considered it, but thought they would never finish recording the clips in time for release, as he would continue talking for another hour after reading each quote about how it reminded him of Lake Wobegon.

Top Bottom