Why was former president Reagan so popular?

charisma, lack of good opponents, and communism are most likely why he was popular.

And we wouldn't have to worry much about the rest of the Muslim world liking us either. It would just give Osama another excuse to use nuclear weapons on us.

osama wasn't even known until after the war in afghanistan, and I don't believe reagan planned on using nukes against Iran.

1. Grandfather figure
  2. Charismatic
  3. Alternative to Carter
  4. Flag waver

Gladi said:
Bright day
AFAIK because you had no special forces ready for action, the helicopters ran out of fuel before they got to Iran.

Not exactly. The Helicopters were leap frogging. They landed in the middle of the Iranian desert to refuel and then head for the Embassy.

Unfortunately 2 of the helicopers collided and crashed after refueling and then the whole operation went to hell and they were discovered. Dozens were killed and they had to evacuate before even reaching the destination.

After that the Iranians made stamps that featured photos of the commando's dead bodies lying the desert.

It was a very slapped together operation to begin with in order to make Carter out be 'take action' president.

Ramius75 said:
I had the impression that Reagan promise to unfrozen freezed Iranian's assets in America to get the hostage free.
Shadylookin said:
osama wasn't even known until after the war in afghanistan, and I don't believe reagan planned on using nukes against Iran.

Read this:
Rumor has it he made it clear to the Iranians he would pick a few of there cities on the map and let them play catch with nukes if the situation continued.
------

After that the Iranians made stamps that featured photos of the commando's dead bodies lying the desert.
That's just stupid. That almost makes me wish that we did nuke the bastards.

sorry but I don't consider bronx warlord a reliable source. I imagine there were threats of military intervention, but a nuclear attack threat is doubtful.

Shadylookin said:
sorry but I don't consider bronx warlord a reliable source. I imagine there were threats of military intervention, but a nuclear attack threat is doubtful.

Then I suppose I have no reason to complain about Reagan going overboard threatening with nukes.. :smug:

Anyway, what I want to know is why people disliked Reagan even though he was a patriotic flag-waver and all, as I wasn't alive during the Reagan administration.

Bugfatty300 said:
Not exactly. The Helicopters were leap frogging. They landed in the middle of the Iranian desert to refuel and then head for the Embassy.

Unfortunately 2 of the helicopers collided and crashed after refueling and then the whole operation went to hell and they were discovered. Dozens were killed and they had to evacuate before even reaching the destination.

It was a very slapped together operation to begin with in order to make Carter out be 'take action' president.

Thank you for correction. We actually never got to modern history in school (too much middle age stuff ;))

WarlordMatt said:
Anyway, what I want to know is why people disliked Reagan even though he was a patriotic flag-waver and all

Allow me to explain, I hear it all the time from my father (Democrat)

1. He was a Republican
2. Broke up Air Traffic Controllers strike
3. Trickle-down economics
4. Iran-Contra
5. Federal Debt
6. Started "war on drugs"

Time for some good things

1. Tax cuts
2. Got hostages out of Iran
3. Stopped out of control inflation
4. Reduced welfare
5. Arms reduction treaties
6. "The Great Communicator"

Yes, the good things are biased, if you are a communist, you may not like what I said. This is my post, so it is my point-of-view.

Anyway, what I want to know is why people disliked Reagan even though he was a patriotic flag-waver and all, as I wasn't alive during the Reagan administration.

He was disliked for alot of the same reasons that the current Bush is disliked. He lead by his moral vision, and didn't bother to conduct poles. He was guided by doing what he thought was right, and to hell with those that were against him. He tended to say what was on his mind and paint the world in a a very black and white type of choice. He didn't bother with the semantics of a situaution or the "greyness" of the issues.

The biggest thing he did in my mind as president was to make it ok to believe in America again. We had just been through 10 plus years of being told we were oppresors, and that all that was wrong with the world was our fault. He stood up and proudly waved the flag for all to see. It was refreshing for a lot of Americans.

BloodyPepperoni said:
As I said in the 'did you have a good day' thread, today I wrote a part of an essay for school. The subject is why was president Reagan so popular. Unfortunately, I'm not finished yet and I need ideas. I've already developed the part about hastening an end to the Cold War, so I'd like to hear your opinion, besides 'ending' the Cold War, what has he done to be so popular? In 1984, when he got 49 States out of 50, he had not ended the Cold War yet. So, how come? His charisma alone got him that huge majority? I'd be extremly grateful if you shared your thoughts on that matter. Thanks in advance!
(So, welcome, conservative posters ;) )

Perhaps I should have stayed out of this thread, since I am not "conservative", but I think it is doubtful whether this killer, conman, coward as Greg Palast so fittingly termed him was that popular.
Here is an excerpt from an article on the FAIR webpage (yes, I know, they are :evil:):
Reagan's Popularity

"Ronald Reagan was the most popular president ever to leave office," explained ABC anchor Elizabeth Vargas (6/6/04). "His approval ratings were higher than any other at the end of his second term." Though the claim was repeated by many news outlets, it is not true; Bill Clinton's approval ratings when he left office were actually higher than Reagan's, at 66 percent versus Reagan's 63 percent (Gallup, 1/10-14-01). Franklin Delano Roosevelt also topped Reagan with a 66 percent approval rating at the time of his death in office after three and a half terms.

In general, Reagan's popularity during his two terms tends to be overstated. The Washington Post's lead article on June 6 began by declaring him "one of the most popular presidents of the 20th Century," while ABC's Sam Donaldson announced, "Through travesty, triumph and tragedy, the president enjoyed unprecedented popularity." The Chicago Tribune (6/6/04) wrote that "his popularity with the electorate was deep and personal... rarely did his popularity dip below 50 percent; it often exceeded 70 percent, an extraordinarily high mark."

But a look at Gallup polling data brings a different perspective. Through most of his presidency, Reagan did not rate much higher than other post-World War II presidents. And during his first two years, Reagan's approval ratings were quite low. His 52 percent average approval rating for his presidency places him sixth out of the past ten presidents, behind Kennedy (70 percent), Eisenhower (66 percent), George H.W. Bush (61 percent), Clinton (55 percent), and Johnson (55 percent). His popularity frequently dipped below 50 percent during his first term, plummeted to 46 percent during the Iran-Contra scandal, and never exceeded 68 percent. (By contrast, Clinton's maximum approval rating hit 71 percent.)

Some in the media similarly emphasized Reagan's likeability. CBS anchor Bob Schieffer asserted, "You could hate his policies, but it was hard not to like Ronald Reagan (6/6/04). But Reagan's "likeability" numbers did not score much higher than other modern presidents, including Jimmy Carter.
The link to the page is: http://www.fair.org/press-releases/reagan-myth-reality.html
Unfortunately I am unable to provide the article "The Myth of Ronald Reagan's Popularity" by Michael Schudson and Elliot King. It seems not to be found online and I don't remember where it was published.
I apologize if this is unconvenient for you, and if it does not fit into your work, just ignore it. Or better, get those who insist on his popularity to provide more reliable statistics to support their claim.
Apart from that, there has been a lot of valuable input from most former posters in this thread explaining Reagans moderate popularity.
And finally, I did not post this to enter a Gipper-debate, since that is off-topic.

I don't know. Why is Arnold Schwarzenegger so popular?

i'm not sifting through all of the posts and this may be a duplicate but here i go:

politics aside, Dutch was an endearing figure b/c of his "grandfatherly", wholesome appearance. he was very firm, did not waiver in the least and was a sort of all american type as evidenced by his primary photo ops riding horses and throwing footballs.

he was also very fast w/ a quip and somewhat self deprecating to a certain extent; all quite personable qualities if you ask me.

Bronx Warlord said:
After the shameful Carter years, he gave the nation pride and purpose again, something it badly needed.

That and he took no crap from anyone, and while under him neither did we. If you notice the Iranians were real quick to give back the hostages, on the day he came into office. Rumor has it he made it clear to the Iranians he would pick a few of there cities on the map and let them play catch with nukes if the situation continued. :)

I suspect that Khoemini didn't release the hostages until after the election to ensure that Carter lost and was punished for supporting the Shah. Lets face it, what could Reagan do in 30 minutes? However, i am not an American but suspect it was his charisma; the fact he was successful in foreign affairs; his cut in direct taxes; strong growth in the economy. Reagan was a very good politician, he was a vote winning machine and i think his personality/charisma was his strongest attribute.

He was an actor. That's one of the same reasons for Arnold's popularity. Some people who don't know the issues will vote for a well know or household name. Or just a name that they think sounds presidential. Sometimes it's as simple as that.

I didn't think he was that great a president. People credit him with ending the cold war because of his "tough as nails" policy on the army and outspending the Soviet Union. What actually won the cold war was the collapse of communism, not R.R.

I don't think Reagan's tough talk really helped matters, but he did have that movie-star charisma, which people like.

I joined the U.S. Air Force during the Carter years, and left well into the Reagan years. The military felt neglected under Carter. You get what you pay for, and we in the military were all embarassed by the Iranian desert debacle. We had had no sizeable pay raises in years, and weapons systems were not being upgraded fast enough.

Ronald Reagan came to office and changed all that. Soldiers were lifted out of poverty. Pride returned. We were given the means to fight the Soviets, if it ever came to that. I was overseas in the middle 1980s, and watched as the dollar strengthened to $1.03 for a pound sterling (in early 1985). Hungry for news from home, I subscribed to Newsweek. After reading article after article, I began saying, "Man, the US economy is kicking (_|_) !" When I left the Air Force, a booming economy meant there was a job for me. Reagan was instrumental in reversing America's slide towards a 2nd-rate power. I think this is why he was popular with veterans.

RR made Americans proud again. We were beaten down, our economy was in the tank, the USSR was very scary, our military was being treated like second class citizens. RR changed all that.

Quasar1011 said:
I joined the U.S. Air Force during the Carter years, and left well into the Reagan years. The military felt neglected under Carter. You get what you pay for, and we in the military were all embarassed by the Iranian desert debacle. We had had no sizeable pay raises in years, and weapons systems were not being upgraded fast enough.

Ronald Reagan came to office and changed all that. Soldiers were lifted out of poverty. Pride returned. We were given the means to fight the Soviets, if it ever came to that. I was overseas in the middle 1980s, and watched as the dollar strengthened to $1.03 for a pound sterling (in early 1985). Hungry for news from home, I subscribed to Newsweek. After reading article after article, I began saying, "Man, the US economy is kicking (_|_) !" When I left the Air Force, a booming economy meant there was a job for me. Reagan was instrumental in reversing America's slide towards a 2nd-rate power. I think this is why he was popular with veterans.
nice post...he certainly raised moral.

Top Bottom