Will the DS version be worth it?

should i get it

• heck yes

Votes: 59 86.8%
  • hell no, we won't go

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters
Yes, you should get it. Thread done.

I think it will, it probably won't be as good as a consul version but if you look at games like Advance Wars, Pokemon, Dragon Warrior Monsters, etc. they prove that you can still get a hell of a good game out of a little game boy.

Can't speak for anyone else, but it's a must buy for me. I have a PS3, but the sole purpose of Rev, in my eyes at least, is being able to finally play Civ on the go, anywhere in the world I happen to be. I've never been a graphics whore and that's really the only true difference for the DS version.

Theres really nothing all that wrong in the main base of civilization revolution. So if its identical on how the console versions work and graphics arent all that important (why did you buy ds if it were :confused:)
I think that version of civ rev will be great.

The whole point of CivRev for me is so that I can play Civ on long car rides, and I think that the graphics for the DS version would be more enjoyable on a long run.

I can't answer this poll until I know how Game of the Week, downloadable content, and the patch process go down for the DS (if it even does that :sad:).

I'll bet they are just won't happen for the DS, and if they do I don't wanna buy internet browser software, a GBA flash card, just to get maps/patches for CivRev. That would cost more than the console version :crazyeye:

I guess I could just get it for the portability, and screw additional content :confused:

Apparently the graphics are not too dissimilar from Civ 2, so early players should feel at home.

My kids (8-10) are DS fanatics.

They've been watching me playing Civ IV lately. I'm thinking of getting this to see if they get interested.

Okay, honestly, I'm thinking of buying a crimson DS for myself just for this game. I just got Civ IV for my laptop, but being able to play quick games on the DS in places where I don't want to bring the laptop is awesome (DMV anyone?).

:)

I love Age of Empires/Kings for the DS - a decent turn based version of AoE.
Really looking forward to Civ on the DS.
Whats not to like?

DS version is built from the ground up for the DS, its not a port, but the designers insist it uses the same game core as the 360/PS3 versions , just with a 2-D skin.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/848/848158p1.html
McCaul: Yes, that number is set in stone. There are 16 civs, and the game core is the same from DS to 360 and PS3, so you won't see many differences there. It's the presentation on DS that is where things really change. All the combat and city screens are defnitley at a different pace and cadence than the console versions.

I found this interesting bullet point on the DS Civ Rev website. Regarding 'Game of the Week' a downloadable weekly maps feature for the DS, it says:
"compete against players online as you play on the same map on the PS3 and 360"

I found this interesting bullet point on the DS Civ Rev website. Regarding 'Game of the Week' a downloadable weekly maps feature for the DS, it says:
"compete against players online as you play on the same map on the PS3 and 360"

Well that's interesting. So I guess then all three versions will get the same GotW?

I figure that the DS version is worth it. Despite the inferior graphics, the game apparently plays the same way as on its console counterparts. And at any rate, graphics aren't ~entirely~ important (consider that you own a DS, so you can't put too much stake in graphics on DS games).

For me, a portable Civ has been a holy grail of sorts. Civ3/4 on laptop comes close, but the DS is about 1/5th the size of a small laptop so its really going to be great being albe to Civ anywhere.

Small clarification for those of you who are confused.

The DS gets the EXACT same game of the week situation every week as the consoles, but the DS is not ranked (no leaderboards).

And yes, it is running the same game core as the larger Consoles, only with a different presentation layer. :)

The DS gets the EXACT same game of the week situation every week as the consoles, but the DS is not ranked (no leaderboards).

And yes, it is running the same game core as the larger Consoles, only with a different presentation layer. :)
That's fantastic!

Quick question. Why happened to the Wii version?

I heard rumours that the Wii was not powerful enough to run it, but if you guys got it working on the DS, it must be something else!

And will we ever see one for Wii?

Quick question. Why happened to the Wii version?
They ran out of resources. CivRev was developed in house and Firaxis didn't have enough man power to devote resources to 4 versions at the same time. They also didn't want to farm the game out so it was "delayed".

If the game is successful on the first 3 platforms I hope it will see a Wii release.

And, in the GotW, a DS player may choose any civ to play, unlike the XBOX360 and PS3 versions. They're locked into a Civ, because they have a leaderboard.

Also:

(1) There is no way to patch the DS version, other than producing a patched cartridge. So, those of us in North America should feel grateful on the month delay in release dates. Hopefully, the Euros did a nice job beta testing it for us.

(2) Note: the following item is conjecture. Downloadable content on the DS cannot be saved. If it could, then there would be possibilities to patch it. So, the GotW will have to be played straight through without turning off the system. I imagine there will be nights my DS remains plugged-in overnight.

(3) And, DS players will have no option to upload their GotW save. They will just have to recall their performance when they compare scores. Perhaps though, a dedicated DS GotW thread will get started here.

I'd rather not get the DS version. The DS Graphics are awful and gameplay with it is severely limited. I'm scared to see what Civ will look like on a DS. If given the choice, get it for the Xbox or PS3, but not the DS.

I'd rather not get the DS version. The DS Graphics are awful and gameplay with it is severely limited. I'm scared to see what Civ will look like on a DS. If given the choice, get it for the Xbox or PS3, but not the DS.

I'm certainly pleased with the chance to get CivRev for my DS. I'll be picking up my reserved copy on Wednesday. :D

Gameplay is not limited on the DS. That's the point Firaxis has been trying to make, it's the same gamecore. Only the graphics, and GotW features, are different.

Anyone with a console and a DS should buy both, if they're a "true-blue," "worth-their-salt" kind of Civ guy. ;)

Top Bottom