Windows 10, Update 1909

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
Has anybody upgraded yet? It's available, but I've heard there's a lot of problems with it so I'm nervous about downloading it.

Has anybody upgraded yet? It's available, but I've heard there's a lot of problems with it so I'm nervous about downloading it.
And so what happened? Did you update? What were the problems? Have the been resolved?

It is looking more and more like I will have to move to windows 10 soon as other programs I use drop support. Do you think it is less invasive now than when you first used it? Have you controlled that aspect satisfactorily?

I know this is old, but I upgraded with no problems. I have had no problem keeping my local account either.

Version 2004 is a totally different story though...

Uh oh.

Well, Windows went and updated itself to 2004. Broke a few minor things so far: had to update 7+ taskbar tweaker to the latest version, rebuild the indexes in Everything, and reinstall Solitaire.

Didn't try to force me onto a Microsoft account thankfully.

Except now whenever I type something in the start menu it also brings up all the folders and documents that have that search term. That's annoying. I have Everything for that. I'm trying to figure out how to turn it off but the settings aren't where I expect them to be.

I fixed that. I turned off the search indexing in Services. I don't like Windows search.

but I've heard there's a lot of problems with it so I'm nervous about downloading it.
Different people have different experiences with Windows 10 updates. This is something that makes me very cautious. Windows 10 updates can easily fail.

I'm looking to move from win 7 to 10; what are the current issues with 10? is the upgrade path smooth and trouble free?

I'm looking to move from win 7 to 10; what are the current issues with 10? is the upgrade path smooth and trouble free?
Moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Whether it goes well depends on how you do it.

Last edited:
Moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Whether it goes well depends on how you do it.
Is there more than one way to do it? Please elaborate.

Is there more than one way to do it? Please elaborate.

You can do an upgrade or a clean install. I have heard of people having issues with the upgrade approach, but I didn't have any long ago when I did it. IIRC, it was just a couple button presses and voila.

Still, you might take it as an opportunity to do a clean slate.

Chances are, your OS won't be preloaded with the May 2020 update this thread is talking about.

Windows 10 is invasive and going the way of Apple. You can mitigate some of this by upgrading to Professional instead of Home and then tinkering in the backend, but of course YMMV and it's not easy for the layman to do.

It asks you during install about most of the invasive stuff. Some of it it tries to obscure and imply you need it enabled, but you don't. I disable everything during installation, immediately shut off UAC, and then install StartIsBack (I despise the tablet-esque start menu; StartIsBack brings back the Windows 7 start menu, although you can combine it with elements of 10).

I'd advise not using Windows 10 Home. A lot of the anti-annoyance settings are in the Group Policy Editor which isn't available by default. There's a trick to enable it, but I have to re-enable it with every update and there's always the worry that Microsoft will break the method at some future update....

Does Win 10 pro require a clean install?

Does Win 10 pro require a clean install?

A clean install from what? Win 7? Or 10 Home?

Both Home and Pro install from the same media, and I think you can upgrade from Home to Pro with just a new license key. After entering the key, Windows Update should do the rest but I haven't tried it. It's in Settings->Update&Security->Activation. But you'll need a license key. A Windows 7 (or 8) Pro key might work. You can still upgrade 7 to 10 for free using the Windows Media Creation Tool if 7 was previously activated. Can probably do it even w/o activation if you have the 25-digit key.

Edit to add: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/windows-10-upgrade-paths

Last edited:
@Synsensa @aimeeandbeatles @zxcvbob @Rosen165

I have Win 7 pro So the question is can I go straight to win 10 pro as an update or to get to 10 pro do I need a clean install. In the olden days a clean install meant installing the new OS from a CD after wiping the old OS and then re installing all the software. Is that still true today? Can you do a clean install through downloading?

To avoid all that reinstallation could I upgrade directly to pro or if necessary, upgrade to Home and then to pro.

You go from W7 Pro to W10 Pro in one shot. You can either do a clean install or an upgrade that will keep all your old stuff (but do a backup first if you can) Do not wipe the disk first even if you do a clean install. (although I suppose you could) The Media Creation Tool will walk you thru it. Tell it you want to upgrade (or is it update?) this PC. When it asks for your license key say you don't have one. It should activate automatically if your 7 system was activated.

If you do a totally clean install, the trick is to tell it you don't have Internet access when it asks, assuming you want to create a local account. Otherwise you have to sign into (or create) a Microsoft account. If you're just doing an upgrade, at least last time I did one (a few months ago) it skips that part and sets you up with your existing local accounts.

If you want to change from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows (or vice versa) you have to do a clean install using external media, but you can do that. I actually like the 32-bit version for some things.

The instructions and the tool will say you need to have a Windows 10 license. Last time I tried it, a Windows 7 license is a '10 license, they just don't tell you that. But I don't have any '7 systems left to test that again.

Last edited:
As far as I know, you can upgrade directly from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro.

If I remember correctly, upgrading will cause Win10 to create a folder with all kinds of Win7 data in it for folks that might want to change back to Win7. It can take up a fair amount of hard drive space. For me, I back up all my data and perform fresh initial installs and add programs and data later.

When you install Win10, you may want to go to settings => privacy and decide what data you want ms to get from your install as well as what apps get access to your system resources. Have found Win10 to be pretty intrusive and willing to share more data on me than I like. I shut most of it off.

Yeah, ms requiring you set up an account is bothersome. The only advantage I can think of is that if you have to reinstall, they remember you so you do not have to type in the product code...

Yeah, ms requiring you set up an account is bothersome. The only advantage I can think of is that if you have to reinstall, they remember you so you do not have to type in the product code...

Even if you don't create a MS account, they remember your product code. I think it is stored in BIOS or equivalent. (what's that called, UEFI?) I do installs frequently for practice and I almost always set up the systems with only local accounts like Linux and previous versions of Windows have. But as of about version 1903 (we're way past that now) you have to say you don't have Internet during the install process when it asks you to sign onto a wireless network if you want to skip the MS account thing. If you have Ethernet, do the install with the cable unplugged. The first time you actually connect to the Internet (after the install), Windows Update will go find missing drivers, etc.

Occasionally if you only have local accounts, it will pester you about creating a MS account so you don't miss out on really cool stuff :rolleyes:. But it doesn't do that very often; maybe every few months.

If this is a laptop, and if it's a clean install, you might have to goto the manufacturer's website to get a few of the system drivers. If it's an update, or a "reset this PC" after it has all been set up once, it should remember the special drivers you need and reinstall them.

Top Bottom