B
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• That's something I could agree on.

BTW, it's better if you reply on my profile instead.
    Probably. I take many things as certain, but in a great many cases I'm much happier with uncertainty than some people. Science currently tests hypotheses and if they pass an arbitrary limit of probability they're declared true. We ought to use levels of confidence instead, in science and in life. People are irrationally stubborn (studies show): they stick with falsehood or poor choices. A Bayesian approach helps determine what are poor choices and helps people feel more comfortable with changing their minds.
    A visitor message is what you're reading right now :lol: It's a public message that's on this page.
    So a Bayesian thinks that nothing is certain (that is, we can't know for certain that something is 100% true, since we aren't omnipotent), only that some things are more probable than others?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_inference
    'One of the crucial features of the Bayesian view is that a probability is assigned to a hypothesis, whereas under the frequentist view, a hypothesis is typically rejected or not rejected without directly assigning a probability.'
    Most people have a truth and change it when enough evidence has accumulated. Some people learn to treat truths as more or less probable, but have to do this consciously. This leads to paradigm-shifting, because people stubbornly resist new evidence until it's really overwhelming.
    What does it mean to be a Bayesian? Does it just mean that you like to use the Bayesian Inference in everyday life?
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Top Bottom