Resource icon

Better Longbowman 2016-10-05

This is a small modification and retexture of the game's original longbowman. It always bothered me that the longbowman fought in melee with a staff that had the same striped texture as his longbow (at first glance it looked like he was whacking enemies with his unstrung bow!). So I exchanged the staff for a mallet (or maul).

I've read accounts of English longbowmen using mallets to drive wooden stakes into the ground, and later using the same mallets to fight in melee, so it's historically accurate, and also, it works perfectly with the existing animations.

I also didn't like the "barber's pole" texture on the arrows, so I re-textured them, and finally I changed the tunic's light green color to brown (the sleeves and hood are still team-colored). I only edited the models and textures, the animations are the original ones.

UPDATE: As requested, the file now includes two options: "longbowman_mallet1" is the original version (with "flared" ends), and "longbowman_mallet2" has a slightly smaller, even more realistic mallet, (with "tapered" ends, see last screenshot). Use the one you prefer.

Cheers!
-Khar Loz.
  • screen3_1d2.jpg
    screen3_1d2.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 331
  • screen1_583.jpg
    screen1_583.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 304
  • screen2_9qo.jpg
    screen2_9qo.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 339
  • screen4_C1Q.jpg