Resource icon

Civ6like Era-Restricted Generals&Admirals for VP 2024-04-30

For me, one of the few things Civ6 did right was limiting combat bonuses of GG&GAs to two eras, so that you can't profit off of a GG earned in an ancient war for the entire game. This modmod makes GGs&GAs "obsolete" after two eras, by making them lose their combat bonuses. The obsolete GGs&GAs can still be expended for Citadels&Luxuries.
The era in which the GG&GA was born is indicated with Roman numerals (as a promotion) on the unit panel. A notification is sent to the player when they become obsolete and GG&GGs get an ugly X (obsolete promotion) on the unit panel.
The AI is trained to expend obsolete GG&GAs and can be quite relentless with Citadels. Their use is directly linked to the existing Citadel placement&Luxury mission logic of the VP. For example, the AI places Citadels only if it can steal tiles, and it also considers whose tiles it's stealing, prioritizing hostile or weak neighbors. GA logic is simpler, and they're expended as soon as they get obsolete.
A note on Repair Fleet: I haven't seen the AI use Admirals for repairs, and I'm not sure if they are actually able to do that. So I haven't modified anything regarding the Repair ability and an obsolete Admiral can still do that in the player's hands. I use a house rule and don't do that myself, but ultimately it's up to you. I'll work on this a bit more when I have better understanding/feedback on the AI, it's pretty likely that I'll remove the ability from obsolete admirals.
A separate note for Civ6 players:
While GG&GAs provide bonuses for units from two eras in Civ6, in this mod they're limited to two eras regardless of units. Exactly imitating the Civ6 method would be much harder and possibly more resource-intensive, I think this method gets pretty much the same results except edge cases.
Requires VP 1.3 or later.

To-do:
Add better texts&icons for flavor (I'd appreciate any suggestions)
Remove hard-coded stuff from DLL
Experiment with slightly lower GG thresholds since there's less of them active

Credits: Machiavelli's Scaling Merchants, which I heavily borrowed from for unitspawn lua
Thanks: Macchievalli for allowing the use of his code, Chrisy15&Troller001 on ModdingHelpline discord for Lua support, Recursive for endless DLL support.[/SPOILER]
Author
balparmak
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from balparmak

Top Bottom