Resource icon

LumpRules 2016-10-05

LumpRules v1.3, 18th Oct 2006
by lumpthing/lumpkin,

Balanced religions, faster naval units and proper barbarian city names.

Designed for Civ IV v1.61 patch

Discussion: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=3644052

I appreciate all feedback on how the changes work out in your game: specifically, who founds which religions when, and how well each religion expands.

email: n AT nholz DOT com

Installation
------------

Extract to: …CustomAssets\XML\

-or-

To add to a specific mod: …Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier’s Civilization 4\Mods\[YourMod]\Assets\XML\

email me if you need more specific instructions: n AT nholz DOT com

Changes in Version 1.3
------------
Files edited to be compatible with latest patch.
Missionary costs adjusted so that the difference between the religions is not so great

Changes in Version 1.2
------------
Monasteries are never obsolete.
Organized Religion no longer allows missionaries to be built without monasteries.
French translations of all text changes
Alternate barbarian city names used in all language versions (same name in each language though)

Changes in Version 1.1
------------
Hindu Temple changed to Hindu Mandir
Hindu Mandir changed to Great Mandir
Navy speeds now increased by 50% rather than 100%. I thought they were a little too fast.
Meditation and Monotheism have had all characteristics switched (including tech tree position)

Full Mod Features (latest version)
------------

There's no need to read any of the following secion to play the mod. It's just there for people who want to know eactly what has changed and what the reasoning behind the changes is.

1. Naval speeds increased

In the original rules sea travel is frustratingly slow compared to land travel. I don't think this is either realistic or fun so I've increased all naval unit speeds by 50% (rounding up).

Modded File
...XML\Units\CIV4UnitInfos.xml (also affected by religion changes)

2. Proper barbarian city names

In the originally rules the barbarian city names are the nameds of tribes rather than cities (Goths, Arawaks etc.). This doesn't make any sense to me so I've changed them all to actual city names. The names are mostly historical (the only criteria being that they were not part of any in-game civilization's homeland and were founded before the modern age) but some have been drawn from fiction.

Modded File
...XML\Text\CIV4TextInfos_Cities.xml

3. Balanced Religions

In my games I have found that the two early religions, Buddhism and Hinduism, tend to dominate the entire game. This mod is an attempt to improve the gameplay by giving the later religions a fighting chance. I have also changed the required technology for four of the religions so that they are more likely to appear at historically accurate times.

To this end I have divided the religions into two ancient religions, Judaism and Hindusiam, which appear very early, three classical religions, Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism and two medieval religions, Christianity and Islam, which normally appear last. The ancient religions spread slowly (whether naturally or through missionaries), the classical ones spread normally and the medieval religions spread very fast.

I think this also makes sense from a historical perspective. Judaism and Hinduism don't have proselytising traditions so it makes sense they spread the slowest. In the real world they have not spread much outside of the ethnic groups which founded them. Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism wouldn't really be called evangelical either. However they did feature travelling teachers eager to spread the influence of their philosophy/religion, so it makes sense that they spread more easily. Finally, Christianity and Islam both make a concerted part to spread the faith and both have been very successful in doing so. Therefore it makes sense that they spread fastest in the game.

In this mod Judaism and Hinduism appear very early (requiring 130-150 research points at standard speed respectively), Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism are likely to appear around the same time at (requiring between 400, 510 and 560 research points) and Christianity and Islam will tend to appear significantly later (requiring 1160 and 2660 research points respectively). This brings them closer to their real-world founding dates:

Circa 1800 BC: Judaism
Circa 1500 BC: Hinduism
Circa 500 BC: Buddhism
Circa 500 BC: Confucianism
Circa 350 BC: Taoism
Circa 30 AD: Christianity
Circa 600 AD: Islam

I have also given four religious buildings more realistic names and renamed the civic Paganism to Informal Religion. This last change was done because it doesn't make sense that a civilization can have a religion like Judaism as it's state religion and have the religious policy of Paganism.

I see no reason why missionaries shouldn't be available in the modern era, so monasteries now never become obsolete. I have also removed Organized Religion's bonus of allowing missionaries to be built without monasteries, since I think the civic is powerful enough without this bonus and because I don't think it makes sense for Organized Religion to discourage the building of monasteries.

Finally, I have switched the characteristics of Monotheism and Meditation. The change is clear in the tech tree.

The religions now stand as follows:

Judaism
Required Technology: Monotheism (Monotheism and Meditation have swapped all chracteristics on the tech tree). Having moved Buddhism to the classical era I didn't want to leave Judaism with Monotheism since that would result in the founder of Hinduism being likely to monopolise both ancient religions. As it is, Hinduism and Judaism are almost certain to be founded by different civs, enhancing gameplay.
Natural spread: 50 (was 100)
Maximum number of missionaries: 1 (was 3)
Missionary cost: 50 (was 40)
No Free Missionary on founding (no change)
Jewish Temple renamed Jewish Synagogue
Jewish Synagogue renamed Great Synagogue

Hinduism
Required Technology: Polytheism (no change)
Natural spread: 50 (was 100)
Maximum number of missionaries: 1 (was 3)
Missionary cost: 50 (was 40)
No Free Missionary on founding (no change)
Hindu Temple renamed Hindu Mandir
Hindu Mandir renamed Great Mandir

Buddhism
Required Technology: Monotheism (was Meditation). This is to make Buddhism appear at a more historically accurate time. It also makes sense that Buddhism comes with a tech that follows on from Hinduism's tech, given that Buddhism grew out of Hinduism. I know that Buddhism has nothing to do with monotheism historically so maybe I'll modify the tech tree as well at some point.
Natural spread: 100 (no change)
Maximum number of missionaries: 3 (no change)
Missionary cost: 40 (no change)
Free Missionary on founding (was none)

Confucianism
Required Technology: Alphabet (was Code of Laws). This is to make Confucianism appear at an appropriate time and to make it less likely that the religions will be monopolised by a single civ. Possibly it makes Alphabet too powerful a tech to discover first since it also allows tech trading; but I couldn't find a suitable alternative.
Free Missionary on founding (no change)

Taoism
Required Technology: Mathematics (was Philosophy). This is make Confucianism appear at an appropriate time.

Christianity
Required Technology: Theology (no change)
Natural spread: 150 (was 100)
Maximum number of missionaries: 5 (was 3)
Missionary cost: 30 (was 40)

Islam
Required Technology: Divine Right (no change)
Natural spread: 150 (was 100)
Maximum number of missionaries: 5 (was 3)
Missionary cost: 30 (was 40)
Islamic Temple renamed Islamic Mosque
Islamic Mosque renamed Great Mosque

Modded Files
...XML\Units\CIV4UnitInfos.xml (also affected by naval speed changes)
...XML\Units\CIV4UnitClassInfos.xml
...XML\GameInfo\CIV4ReligionInfo.xml
...XML\GameInfo\CIV4CivicInfos.xml
...XML\Text\CIV4GameTextInfos_Objects.xml
...XML\Technologies\CIV4TechInfos.xml
...XML\Buildings\CIV4SpecialBuildingInfos.xml
Author
lumpthing
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update