Hidden Hotkeys/Tips and Tricks plz?

Otaku-sama

Warlord
I know for sure that I am not playing with all the potential controls of the game. I know all the basic controls and a few tricks like selecting all cities and placing signs, but I want to know any more tricks there may be, like rally points for units.

"Charity begins at home. Care to give us some?"

My favorite hotkey combination:

Alt-Click on one of your city names. This selects all the cities.

Ctrl-Click a nice offensive unit. This adds one of those to the queue of every city that can build it, above whatever they were working on before.

Shift-right-click on a square near the border of a country you plan to attack. This sets a rally point for all your cities.

Wait a few turns, you have a nice stack to attack with.

This is from the Sevopedia in the BUG mod.
hotkeys.JPG

Too bad alt, control, and shift click do not function properly on a consistent basis.

Too bad the game acts as if you are pressing alt sometimes when you are not pressing alt.

Too bad these things have been reproduced on multiple machines

Too bad they were never, ever touched across all patches.

It's always fun times to alt-click a group then attempt to use shift-click to remove them. Nope...just keeps re-selecting the whole group against your will.

Sometimes shift-click does this with smaller groups also, instead of selecting individual units, it just keeps selecting/unselecting the same group w/o splitting it. Of course others you can just select individual units this way...

If you have previously selected the naval units in a transport stack, control clicking a land or air unit will...KEEP SELECTING THE NAVAL UNIT. Merely left clicking at all will also continuously select the naval stack. You have to actually unselect the naval stack or you are stuck.

Sometimes one can whip every damn city, by simply left clicking on one city and pressing whip. Left clicking on one city occasionally means selecting all of them, even if you are soundly picking your nose with your other hand and it is nowhere near the keyboard.

Sometimes you also declare on your trade partner and friend who borders you and whom you are not defended against. When the game feels like it saying "you were pressing alt whether that's true or not".

In multiplayer and ONLY IN MULTIPLAYER (anyone know why this is?), you can not control-click to select all units in the same tile if some have used up their movement and not others. Seriously, it only selects the ones with full movement even if you do it multiple times. In single player it will not do this.

The game forces waypointed and automated units to move into danger that is readily visible, because THAT's fun.

Anyway, if you want something other than griping (which is hopefully likely), I still have my guide to speed civving in my signature :p.

What seriously annoys me is that planes and ships are ALWAYS picked when you want to select a land stack! GRRR!

TMIT also left out that you can "road to" a worker or just waypoint a unit and it will follow a different path than the one displayed when you issued the command.

TMIT also left out that you can "road to" a worker or just waypoint a unit and it will follow a different path than the one displayed when you issued the command.

I also left out how that command in particular makes the worker walk right into barbs, even if it already sees them. Before you can cancel orders. To add further insult, if it has movement points after moving next to the barb it will put them into roads rather than interrupting it.

I also left out how that command in particular makes the worker walk right into barbs, even if it already sees them. Before you can cancel orders. To add further insult, if it has movement points after moving next to the barb it will put them into roads rather than interrupting it.

Actually if you're very quick you can cancel the order. I reloaded one game about 5 times to make a worker stop farming after I discovered horses. Later into a game you probably have to be much quicker. Maximizing Ability doesn't always minimize frustration.

Thanks naterator for that picture with all the hotkeys! Now when I am creating SoD, I don't have to keep directing them.

I did notice how when I want to deselect some units out of a big stack with Shift+Click it keeps reselecting the stack. When this happens, I just select something else first, then go back to it. That usually stops it from being difficult.

Top Bottom