[NFP] [1.0.8.4] Many AIs still stuck in T1 goverments, when game has progressed into modern era

Pfeffersack

Deity
I noticed that a lot of AIs are still in T1 goverments, while the game has progressed already to the mid of the Modern Era (beyond T350, Epic Speed, Huge Map, Emperor difficulty, Secret Societies enabled, Terra-style Perfect World mod map). The new AI focus on science might explain partly why their cultural output lacks a bit, but I still would expect them at least to choose T2 governents (and the cultural Gossip log tells me that at least some of them should be able to do so)...but apart from Maori, Gran Columbia (both Fascism) and China (Monarchy), I count 5x Autocracy, 2x Classic Republic and 1x Oligarchy among my opponents. Two especially odd examples are France (who has a high culture output of 200+) and Babylon (who is already constructing Spaceports):

Spoiler :

FranceAndBabylon.jpg

GovFrance.jpg

GovBabylon.jpg

GossipLog.jpg

Attachments

• 1.0.8.4AIsStayInT1Governments.Civ6Save
    4 MB · Views: 43
So I'm not entirely certain this is a bug, but it is certainly highly unusual. In my current game as Babylon I noticed that all AI nations are still using T1 governments, even though the game is in the Modern Era and according to the civics tree progress, all AI nations are at least in the Renaissance era or farther along. Ordinarily this would be a *shrug and move on* moment, but 2 of the AI nations have Ideologue as a leader agenda, and this is causing diplomatic hits to me because I have a T3 government which is different than what they are using because they all decided to stay in the stone age politically for some reason.

Attached image shows Dido still using Classical Republic despite being in the Industrial Era on the civics tree. She surely has access to T2 governments and is likely close to unlocking T3. Weird.

Attachments

• 20210228144945_1.jpg
    20210228144945_1.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 30
I did some investigation into this, loading a couple saves in the Modern Era, using HotSeat to peek at what the AI was doing. Caveat #1: this is pre-February update, before Monarchy became more flexible. [I want to finish this game before loading the update.]. Caveat #2: [GS] game is Deity-level on a standard-size map, so many of the AI have a lot of cities (and they produce twice as much as I do).

Of 7 AIs, 3 had not learned Divine Right (for Monarchy), despite knowing at least Nationalism. One even hadn't learned Theology, despite having a Religion. No AI had learned Exploration (for Merchant Republic) or Reformed Church (for Theocracy). (Although, none of these AIs had a religious bias, even though they were engaged in theological conflict in my territory.)

Of the four AIs that could have chosen Monarchy:
two were in Republic, apparently for the amenities trying to keep all their cities content, also employing Liberalism or Civil Prestige or both
one was in Monarchy
one was in Autocracy, but was down to two cities.

Of the three AIs that could not choose Monarchy:
one was in Oligarchy (and conquered someone else's capitol, and was the target of a military emergency)
one was in Autocracy, in a Dark Age, and losing cities to my flipping
one was in Republic, and was getting +10% growth & production bonus for being happy.

The AI seems to care more about the side benefits of a government, than having extra cards. Autocracy for the production bonus. Republic for amenities. Oligarchy for war. They don't need the housing benefit of walls from Monarchy, and most prefer to conquer city-states than suzerain them.

Top Bottom