[Vote] (1-21) Policy Wonder Unlocking Requirement Proposals

Approval Vote for Proposal #21 (instructions below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recursive

Already Looping
Supporter
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" for every proposal you'd be okay with if it were implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if these proposals weren't implemented. You can vote for any number of options.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 1, Proposal 21

Title: Policy Tree Openers (not Finishers) provide Wonder unlocks
Proposer: @Stalker0
Sponsor(s): @Recursive
Previous Discussion Thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...-not-finishers-provide-wonder-unlocks.679396/

Proposal Details
Currently each policy tree gets a wonder unlock when you complete the tree. Tradition gets university of sankore as an example.

Proposal: Change it so that unlocking the opener of each tree provides the wonder unlock (instead of the finisher). So a player pursuing the Tradition 2 / Authority 2 (border blob) strategy as an example could build both University of Sankore and Alhambra.

Rationale: Currently there are plenty of reasons to finish a policy tree. Both the finisher itself, the unlocking of Great Person faith purchasing, and just the innate synergy of each tree that tends to make finishing the tree the best play. Adding variety so that "Christmas tree" plays where you mix and match from different trees becomes more viable adds more diversity to the game. It unlocks more strategies and allows people to approach the game in new and interesting ways.

By providing the wonder on the Opener, it gives players more incentive to try taking multiple trees, rather than always finishing the tree they started. For players who complete their tree, this will create zero change or issue. For those who want to Christmas tree, this gives them an interesting new tool in their arsenal.

VP Congress: Session 1, Proposal 21a
Title: Policy Wonders unlocked by number of policies instead of through completion of a tree
Proposer: SpecifiedUsername
Sponsor(s): @Recursive
Previous Discussion Thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...stead-of-through-completion-of-a-tree.679495/

Proposal Details
Proposal: make policy wonders no longer require a specific finisher but a number of policies corresponding with the other wonders on their tech tier e.g. sankore & Alhambra 7 the forbidden palace 8 and so on. [Recursive clarification: The opener for that policy tree would also be required. For example, Sankore would require 7 policies and for the player to have opened Tradition.]

This is a counter to policy wonders being available with just an opener. I see it as a a wrong move in a good direction. We want for these wonders to not be guaranteed to players and we want flexibity of building a sankore as warmonger if decide to make it your priority or a progress player Alhambra and so on. It keeps it open if you go 2 tradition 4 authority, and one statecraft, or 6 progres 6 statecraft. Choice and wonder race are one of the most enjoyful parts if VP let us enhance it.

I understand why, but this only benefits snowballing civilizations. As an underdog the ONLY wonders I can EVEN build are from policy finishers, all other wonders from the entire era were built already.

I want more tools to catch up, for both the ai (and vassal ai so they break free instead of being servants for the rest of the game) and players at harder difficulties.

So if anything, remove the minimum policy requirements for wonders so you can beeline for a wonder, because if you have enough science you usually have enough culture too, unless you're beelining which is risks and reward, one of the principles of game design.

I understand why, but this only benefits snowballing civilizations. As an underdog the ONLY wonders I can EVEN build are from policy finishers, all other wonders from the entire era were built already.
Note that AIs pretty much always focus on their one tree anyway, so from a vs the AI standpoint you shouldn't see any change. In your example, this is a benefit to the human, you could decide to select another tree to pick up an additional wonder.

Proposal failed on November 1, 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom