1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

1 unit shouldn't dominate a time period

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by baseballfan45, May 3, 2004.

1. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

How about a more complex version of Rock-Paper-Scissors like the one used in Empire Earth, we're certain types of units and good at countering other, but against the vast majoiry of units, they are equal.

2. xerox

xerox Chieftain

I think that this belong in this thread but I'm not sure!?!?!
    I think that the concept of a particular civ having a specialized unit is a great idea but ... it would be great for them to have a special unit in mor than one 'age'.
    United States: Constellation class frigate & F15
    England: Man-o-war & Harrier
    etc.

Also ... How about some new units:
    Anti-Aircraft Gun
    1. Works on enemy Aircraft like Catapult/Canon/Artilery does on ground troops
    2. Zone of Control
    3. Can be moved
    4. Can protect Cities as well as ground units it is with

Ground Support Aircraft
    1. Like USA A10 - with ability to kill enemy ground and naval units (not just damage them)

Crossbow
    1. Can Shoot or Attack (Similar to ships)
    2. Higher defense than standard bowman (maybe 3,2,1 or 4,2,1)

Bazooka or Rocket Troops
    1. Can damage or destroy armor
    2. Highly mobile (similar to Cavalry)

How about some Traps!!
    1. Land Mines
    a. Prodiced like any other unit and placed 1 time when complete (may not be moved)
    b. Can be placed on any land square within city radius
    c. Causes 1 hit point of dammage to ENEMY units only
    d. Can destroy unit if it takes last hit point
    e. Destroyed when tripped
    2. Aquatic Mines
    a. Produced like any other unit and placed 1 time when complete (may not be moved)
    b. Can be placed on any coast square within city radius
    c. Causes 1 hit point of dammage to ENEMY ships only
    d. Can destroy ship if it takes last hit point
    e. Destroyed when tripped
    3. Anti-Tank Barricade
    a. Built like any land improvement (may not be moved)
    b. Motorized vehicles (Tanks, Mech Infantry, Modern Armor, Artilery, Radar Artilery) cannot pass
    c. Can be pillaged by Non-Motorized units or destroyed by bombardment like any land improvement
    4. Machine Gun Nest
    a. Built like any land improvement (may not be moved)
    b. Zone of Control
    c. Causes 1 hit point of damage to, non-motorized, ENEMY units only
    d. Can destroy unit if it takes last hit point
    e. Can be destroyed by bombing or artilery

3. joebasstard

joebasstard Chieftain

EXACTLY! I like the way you think. And, give civilizations more detailed (and possiby random) characteristics: not just militaristic, but focused on offensive abilities, or superior infantry,... FOR INSTANCE: not just scientific, but focused on superior mechanical qualities, or reliability, or low cost. These would give civilizations BONUSES on certain variables, so for instance the Germans are more likely to develop a superior tank or plane BUT Americans more likely to produce it cheaper... and they could then choose to focus research on improving some characteristic of a unit, separately from the main research projects, although it would have to take away from the main research, and not just be free.

I wonder when we find out what (and if) the basic concepts and design of Civ IV will be.

4. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

*cough flak TOW infantry cough*

i think you need to get conquests

5. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

No one answered my question - is there really anyone using only Knights in the early middle ages? I do not think that a single unit dominating a time period is a problem, because I'm not seeing it in my games.

6. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

to be honest, no your right, i dont think many people do ust use knights. However, i think there is really only about 3 at maximum offensive units people use. trebuchets, medievil infantry and knights. i guess there could be more

7. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

Soren has also said that he hates complex rock-paper-scissors schemes more than the simple version. :D

I do think that there should be the ability for certain units to have bonuses against other certain units (Pikes and Knights like in Civ 2, for example).

8. WS78

WS78 Chill moan!

I agree on the more unique units per Civ idea. Maybe splitting regular research into military science and regular (obviously they would be connected).

Drop the discussion on Rock, paper, sciccors. That one isn't going anywhere.

9. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

the cultural unique units is good too i think