2 Questions (ToT vs MGE + Resources)

Hi again all! Well, running into some issues on my map using the extra terrain tiles. For some reason, for my bottom rows (the ones that require a Ctrl+ to place; the "extra" rows), I get this fuzzy static around each tile. It is quite ugly next to the clean standard tiles. I know the black static has something to do with the blending pattern, but not sure how to eliminate it from these tiles. Other scenarios seem to have gotten around this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• fuzzy tiles.png
    fuzzy tiles.png
    247.3 KB · Views: 48
Yeah it looks like the Dithering/Rastering effect that's applied to Terrain1 cells is applying to your extra terrains in Terrain2. The original Rivers/Forests/Hills/Mountains automatically ignore whatever is in the dither cell (bottom left corner of Terrain1 file) however new extra terrains presumably don't unless you tell the game somewhere that your extra terrain is just like another mountain. I haven't messed with that stuff yet but presumably there's a flag somewhere in the extra terrain settings in rules. @Knighttime , @JPetroski or @Prof. Garfield might know where it is if you can't find it yourself.

Oh and I forgot to post here that for those keeping score I managed solve my hex editing issues and talk about my success in disabling cheat and scenario mode to get throne & wonder videos working again in my HoMM2 mod thread.

Hi again all! Well, running into some issues on my map using the extra terrain tiles. For some reason, for my bottom rows (the ones that require a Ctrl+ to place; the "extra" rows), I get this fuzzy static around each tile. It is quite ugly next to the clean standard tiles. I know the black static has something to do with the blending pattern, but not sure how to eliminate it from these tiles. Other scenarios seem to have gotten around this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I believe there's no solution to this blending pattern.
Which means with ToTpp you should limit
1.your tileset in Terrain1 (or 3-5-7) to its most basic ground which will blend,
2. then add hills, mountains, forests, cities, etc as layouts in Terrain2 (or 4-6-8)
3. then adapt rules.txt so the new terrain2 (or 4-5-6) display well its new layout sheet
in order to avoid it spreading to "structures"

Otherwise, without ToTpp I'm afraid one have to
- either avoid the black dots pattern
- or alter this pattern (in Terrain 1, 3, 5, 7 I guess) which by my experience is not an easy feat ro achieve well in order to have a nice result.
- or also limit oneself to forest/hills/mountain layouts to replace.

Last edited:
Thanks @Dadais and @Blake00 ! To clarify, these are the extra terrain tiles in my Terrain1.bmp file, not the Terrain2. I am having trouble with the hills and snow-capped mountain in the image.

@Dadais I'm having trouble wrapping my head around your list (sorry, a noob here!). Are there ways in rules.txt to allow for a whole other series of hills and mountains? If that is possible, then wow, that would open up a lot.

One thing to note, too, is that I am using another scenario's rules.txt for a template (@JPetroski one of your scenarios!). I'm wondering if there is something in there that might be causing the dithering on those tiles. It has also allowed me to have COSMIC2, giving me the extra terrain slots -- but I have no idea how to replicate this in a new, original rules.txt file.

Are there ways in rules.txt to allow for a whole other series of hills and mountains?

Hills, mountains and forest in base game are pictured both in terrain1 and terrain2 (or 2&3, 4&5, etc)

Terrain1 draw the font of the tile while Terrain2 draw a layout over it.

Then yes, ToTpp allows you to add layouts ! :)

Ah, OK, I figured that out. Thanks @Dadais ! I didn't notice you could add a new OVERLAYS section with the ToTPP launcher.

My next issue is that I have 4 maps. So I would assume I should start a fantasy game to save my scenario. But this seems to crash my game. Does ToTPP not work with the fantasy mode?

One thing to note, too, is that I am using another scenario's rules.txt for a template (@JPetroski one of your scenarios!). I'm wondering if there is something in there that might be causing the dithering on those tiles. It has also allowed me to have COSMIC2, giving me the extra terrain slots -- but I have no idea how to replicate this in a new, original rules.txt file.

Someone should create generic scenario rules templates for use.

Someone should create generic scenario rules templates for use.
That would be great! I am just practicing at the moment, so looking at existing rules.txt files, and tinkering with them, is extremely useful to see what is possible or where things click into place. I can make my own basic one, but adding ToTPP functionality has proven challenging; so having other rules.txt files to look at for guidance has been a lifesaver.

I've been biting away at this in my spare time and have a working rules.txt, which feels good!
Quick question about ToTPP's limit of 189 units. I got the unit limit to work and all, but have a question: Does it matter which slot I put units into, or are they really, truly freely customizable with the AdvancedUnits properties, etc.? I hope this makes sense. I know we can give units the settler ability, for example, but does it matter at all for the game if the settler is Slot 0, or could it be Slot 150 (for example)?

Double checking before I enter my units list and find something amiss in-game!

You'll want to go to the Scenario League wiki (https://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Getting_the_Units_Right_from_the_Beginning) as there are a few hardcoded consequences for certain unit slots (example, musketeers and knights iirc). Also, the partisan unit slot enjoys a bonus against units with 0 attack I believe, and there are certain other slots (like the engineer one) that have unique abilities or pop ups.

You have a ton of flexibility but it is important to understand the few hang ups that are out there, as some do remain.

Many thanks, @JPetroski ! This is exactly what I wanted to know; I had seen that chart and was wondering if it was still relevant. By the way, your spreadsheet idea has saved me a lot of headaches!

Hi again!
I'd like to return to my question at the top of this page: on dithering. I found the below in the ToTPP manual. The only problem is: I can't make sense of it! I've tried plugging #s in to no avail.

I'm trying to get the extra terrains in Terrain1.bmp to not have such a terrible dither. But maybe there is no way to fix this, and I need to limit what types of terrain I am using. The below offers a clue to something, but whether or not it is related to my problem, I am not sure.

Any thoughts or suggestions? (see the image at the top of this page for further reference)

overlays.png

OK, I figured it out!

I did not understand the "River tiles" part under "Notes," among other things. I got these overlays to work, which eliminated dithering! Very exciting indeed.

Top Bottom