(2-WD) Cities not adjacent to Water can be connected to the Ocean with Canals

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think this topic deserves a more comprehensive proposal, eg. some additional rule adjustments to mitigate the edge cases and other concerns that are raised. Also to make use of these art assets:
download.jpg

What cities are connected to the sea solely via canal and also have/had shipyards for warships?
Ok, these are connected by rivers. Hamburg or London. But since rivers can't connect an inland city to the sea in civ, a canal is the closest thing you get.

Ok, these are connected by rivers. Hamburg or London. But since rivers can't connect an inland city to the sea in civ, a canal is the closest thing you get.
And one more thing: they are close enough to the sea to be considered one tile inland. That would fit the cabal feature.

Thanks for the information.

Given the scale of civilization, you could also consider these cities to effectively be coastal.

i think this topic deserves a more comprehensive proposal, eg. some additional rule adjustments to mitigate the edge cases and other concerns that are raised. Also to make use of these art assets:
View attachment 647408
This looks rather amazing actually. If possible I would like to see this kind of canal to become a separated tile improvement rather than fort and citadel though.
Then we can apply a bunch of different rules to it (like taking forever to build and destroy, and take longer to be destroyed by enemies, and allowing land city to have some coastal city feature). Also would be very interesting tactical-wise as we can destroy them to prevent enemies from using (which was historically true but we couldn't simulate in game with road/railroad/bridge).

I see that there are some issues with this proposal that need to be addressed first. As the proposal phase ends soon, I would like to withdraw the proposal for now. (@Recursive )

Some of the issues mentioned here also exist in the current implementation of the canals system, so I created this thread in the main forum, which can be used to discuss these issues and also for a more general discussion about the canal system. Please continue the discussion there.

Proposal withdrawn by request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom