20k win strategy on Regent level (without leaders)

After one turn building a temple, the cost for rushing it is more than halved....

One dirty trick you can use is to disband a military unit in your 20K city, knocking that 'first' turn off the temple/improvment, then rush the rest. You get to rush the thing in one turn for the second turn cost plus a warrior.

Yes, that also works very well! This trick takes a turn of the build-time so can be helpful....

But the other trick is also very useful if you dont have any units to disband. Just rush a worker for 80 gold and then rush the desired building for less than half the original cost. In this way, you dont have to lose a unit. You have to pay 80 gold extra but if time is that important, surely you can cough some money ;)

I have found(and others may get different results) that

-a temple ends up at about 1000 culture
- library 1500 culture
-Great library 3000 culature
- cathedral/University 1000 culture
-Hanging gardens ~1500 culture
-Palace ~500 culture
-Colosseum ~1000 culture
-Sistine Chapel ~2k
-Bachs ~1500

Then the rest are around 1000k culture or less.
I am unsure of the pyrimds/oracle/collassus due to not building them. I agree that the collassus could generate a ton of culture as well.

I've always had a thing, even in Civ 1, for trying to play with the smallest possible civ and see how well I could do. Yesterday I won the game on emperor level with only 3 cities. I played as the Babylonians and got started on a tiny peninsula, blocked in by the Persians, so I went for the 20k win.

I started by building warrior, warrior, settler, temple, colossus, great library.

Babylon had a pretty decent spot, with a cow and by the sea, my second city plugged the peninsula and had wine. My third city was on the tiny thread of land in between. I focused all of Babylon's energy on culture while my other cities were dedicated to defense. The Persians attacked me fairly early in the game, but my city walls and spearmen held off their archers until I could pay them off for peace. I basically spent the whole game trading techs (had to buy and sell them rather than develop them) maintaining a sturdy defense on that one city and avoiding any treaties that could lead to a war. About 10 turns before I won the Zulu's attacked me for no apparent reason, but my defenses were easily adequate to fight them off long enough to win... and I also was easily able to convince Germany to join me in the war. I won the game in 1952 with 973 points. It didn't make the hall of fame, but it was a fun, and relatively quick game. It was a lot of fun watching the rest of the world go to war while I traded with everyone.

You should mention, which civilization to take for a cultural victory.
I think, Babylon is the right choice (no matter if you are going for a cultural victory in one city or overall culture), because of the cheap temples, cathedrals, libraries and universities. And you spend less time in anarchy (so you can switch govt while you are building a wonder, which would otherwise be stupid), and the free tech in each era is also good.
And in C3C you get more SGLs with a scientific civ, so you can rush wonders!
So if you want a cultural victory, go for Babylon (you can even win an OCC with Babylon through 20K culture)!

I know it's about 2 years too late, but I followed your advice perfectly... I was doing very well until Education rolled around and made the GL obsolete... then I was screwed. I got pwned by the Russians!

Lol,

Last post was 4,5 years ago, but i have a question.

When do you switch your government type, and to what government?

It depends, a bit.

I generally switch to republic, unless I anticipate a LOT of war. Even so, I generally switch to republic ;) And I almost always switch as soon as I can. Unless I'm in the middle of a GA that is helping me a lot.

Warring in Republic make the game that much more addictive, and tedious. :lol:

Lol,

Last post was 4,5 years ago, but i have a question.

When do you switch your government type, and to what government?

I usually follow the Republic slingshot and stay in Republic. Gamezrule is right, warring in Republic is addictive. I like to keep my wars short and sharp.

In C3C, don't forget the Statue of Zeus. It has about the highest culture for the cost and is a very useful wonder if you have Ivory. At Regent it's a big help to getting more land to keep ahead of the AI. If I have Ivory I always try for it - the only ancient wonder I try for in normal games.

I'll be the dissenting voice in the crowd. I have nothing against Republic and I've used it from time to time. But Republic does not fit my gaming style most of the time. I am a very cautious player and that means that wars last a long time. Long wars = unhappy republic.

I generally go into monarchy and stay there. It's good to be king. :king: The benefits of monarchy is that you can use MPs to control happiness and war weariness is a minor nusiance if even that.

I also like the Hanging Gardens as a wonder. It is worth a 20% reduction on the happiness slider for the MA, which is the time period that always seems to last the LONGEST (my god, why won't it end). Since the AI rarely goes that route, it is an easy wonder to grab and I can usually afford to dedicate a city to building a wonder by that time.

With MPs and the Hanging Gardens I can generally function rather well without many luxuries. For some reason I have a hard time gathering enough luxuries to make a republic stable. I find I am always fiddling with the luxury slider and adding/removing clowns. The one time I tried republic on an Emperor level game it nearly killed me. It was even worth the 5 turns of anarchy to go to Monarchy to get back on track.

Strange, I have fought some long wars in Republic. The key is to get luxury's and keep you're kill ratio high.

Yeah I never had any trouble with long wars while republican in C:Conquests. I don't think I really used other governments. Also, Raliuven, while it took me a loooong time, at some point I got comfortable with not just losing troops but even losing a city or two during war. Being able to risk that or lose cities goes a long way to being able to win wars and the game. I was emperor in vanilla civ3 and demigod in conquests.

Strange, I have fought some long wars in Republic. The key is to get luxury's and keep you're kill ratio high.

That's also my experience, although I try to avoid long wars. Sometimes the peace treaty get you more than continued conquering would. I'm always trying to focus on getting whatever resource the enemy has that I don't. 5 more Scientist farms might not be worth much.

I believe Vmxa also uses Republic and he is a warmonger and excellent player.

Oh I have no doubt that it is possible. I just need more practice at it. It is probably what is holding me at emperor and making deity so hard to crack.

I find that Monarchy is less hassel during war - don't need to care about body counts or old units sitting around as MPs (as long as I don't go over the limit), etc. As I get a little better at my warring skills and develop a true passion for luxuries (I mean a full blown passion, not a casual glace of interest), then maybe Republic will work. It just seems to hit me in all my weaknesses. But I am trying. Really I am. :shifty:

I don't think we will go into the long list of things that vmxa can do that I cannot do. I don't think I can stand that kind of humiliation. At any rate, I think it would be more appropriate to start a new thread on that topic if we were going to do that. No one wants to go through that much effort, right?

Oh I have no doubt that it is possible. I just need more practice at it. It is probably what is holding me at emperor and making deity so hard to crack.

I find that Monarchy is less hassel during war - don't need to care about body counts or old units sitting around as MPs (as long as I don't go over the limit), etc. As I get a little better at my warring skills and develop a true passion for luxuries (I mean a full blown passion, not a casual glace of interest), then maybe Republic will work. It just seems to hit me in all my weaknesses. But I am trying. Really I am. :shifty:

I don't think we will go into the long list of things that vmxa can do that I cannot do. I don't think I can stand that kind of humiliation. At any rate, I think it would be more appropriate to start a new thread on that topic if we were going to do that. No one wants to go through that much effort, right?

You are quite correct. I got OT.

There's a long list of what vmxa can do that most of us cannot do. I didn't mean it as a put-down at all. Few of us want to compare ourselves to his level of play. I certainly don't want to. Sorry if I offended or upset you.:sad:

There's a long list of what vmxa can do that most of us cannot do. I didn't mean it as a put-down at all. Few of us want to compare ourselves to his level of play. I certainly don't want to. Sorry if I offended or upset you.:sad:

1. I believe VMXA has played civ III in form or another since it came out.

2. I don't believe VMXA has much experience with doing a fast research game. I feel even more sure that he has very, very little experience with either of the cultural victories also.

Oh no, no bad feelings at all. I should have used more :D :D :D's.

I see some of the conquest and domination victory dates in the GOTM and I just shake my head. I've never tried a 20K victory before. But now I am inspired to try.

Top Bottom