20k win strategy on Regent level (without leaders)

Well, here's my recipe for the 20k culture win in Regent.

Here's the build order:
Any building providing culture (Temple, Library, Colosseum, Cathedral, University, Reserch Center).
Any building improving shield output (Courthouse, Factory, Police Station, Any Plant).
Any building allowing population growth (Granary, Aqueduct, Hospital) with respect to the limiting factor involved.
Any building improving the stability of your city (Marketplace)

First Comment.. with the city being your Capital.. is there any point to built bolded above?

5°) Try to build all common buildings buy pop-rushing (in the begining) or money-rushing (later) between building two wonders, which means you spend 2 turn to build them.

Why spend two turns to rush the common buildings?
Rushing it in a single turn doesn't cost much more. E.g., at 20 shields/turn, you can rush a colosseum in 2 turns for 320 gold (start building marketplace with 20 shields, rush for 320 gold, switch to colosseum), or you can rush it in a single turn for 440 gold (rush worker for 80, then switch to marketplace and rush for 360, then switch to colosseum). Not that big a difference, if time is really critical.

Because it's cheaper. After one turn building a temple, the cost for rushing it is more than halved....

One dirty trick you can use is to disband a military unit in your 20K city, knocking that 'first' turn off the temple/improvement, then rush the rest. You get to rush the thing in one turn for the second turn cost plus a warrior.

Yes, that also works very well! This trick takes a turn of the build-time so can be helpful....

But the other trick is also very useful if you don't have any units to disband. Just rush a worker for 80 gold and then rush the desired building for less than half the original cost. In this way, you don't have to lose a unit. You have to pay 80 gold extra but if time is that important, surely you can cough some money ;)

Rushing question here.

I nearly always "buy" a worker, or other cheap unit, then the actual thing I need on the same turn. I don't wait a turn. I hadn't considered disbanding a unit, that seems pretty swell. Can we agree either is better than waiting a turn to generate some shields and lower the cost?

I nearly always "buy" a worker, or other cheap unit, then the actual thing I need on the same turn. I don't wait a turn. I hadn't considered disbanding a unit, that seems pretty swell. Can we agree either is better than waiting a turn to generate some shields and lower the cost?

Not necessarily.

In order to disband a unit you first need to generate the shields for the unit you are going to disband. That is easily when having more than 20 cities, but not so easy if you play a one city challange.

Using a cheap worker can work well if you have the needed gold, but you need to have it first. Having to pay 80 gold instead of 40 gold for 10 shields is still a net disadvantage of 40 gold. And if instead you produce the 10 shields by regular means it is still better in terms of gold.

There is a fourth alternative: Gain 10 shields from chopping forest. But those need to be timed well. It may not work well in terms of avoiding 2 turns per building. Still it can work well in other relevant terms.

Can Capitols even experience corruption?

Except in anarchy: No.

Even in communism the capital is always free of corrruption. In other words: There will be no reduction in corruption.

But a police station can still reduce war weariness by 25 percentage points. That makes war as a republic much more comfortable as the first level of war weariness is completely offset.

The courthouse helps against propaganda. I have never seen that matter in a capital, though.

Yeah I don't intend to do 1 city challenge, I still want a small Empire to defend myself with and to claim key resources. I am sure there will be time to squeeze out a settler at some point.

First Comment.. with the city being your Capital.. is there any point to built bolded above?
I think the original poster was discussing vanilla, not Conquests (due to no discussion of Statue of Zeus and not prioritizing Shakespeare's Theater for the grow-past-12 benefit in Conquests). In vanilla and PTW, the capital is subject to corruption and waste, sometimes enough that a courthouse is helpful.

Ah thanks.

Is there a C3C thread out there? I just tried this challenge, and while having a clear lead, the game has played out so slowly I am going to have to pivot to Space for any chance of even winning my game :/

It would be good to have a more comprehensive guide.. Even if the biggest challenge is how many times you are willing to reroll your start....

the game has played out so slowly

That is part of the challenge 20k. If your goal is to achieve this victory condition, then playing it as an OCC seems like the best bet. You want to grab as much culture from ancient wonders as reasonably possible as well as from the medieval era of course. Once you have Shakespeare the date when victory will be achieved is mostly set, but it may still take 200 more turns. Given that you might not be inclined to manage more than one city.

It would be good to have a more comprehensive guide.. Even if the biggest challenge is how many times you are willing to reroll your start....

Actually, the starting position is less important than getting a scientific great leader for the first tech, so you can rush the pyramids (or something else, but usually the pyramids). So, the challenge is how many times you are willing to reroll and replay the first 15 or so turns, if you are trying for a really fast 20k. If you aren't trying for a record-breaking date, you can win 20k from basically any start, though (at least, at levels where you can win reasonably comfortably in other ways). My single win on Sid is 20k, and that required a lot of restarts, but mostly to get myself alone on an island so I wasn't stomped immediately, not to get a great city spot. I could not have one that game any other way.

That is part of the challenge 20k. If your goal is to achieve this victory condition, then playing it as an OCC seems like the best bet. You want to grab as much culture from ancient wonders as reasonably possible as well as from the medieval era of course. Once you have Shakespeare the date when victory will be achieved is mostly set, but it may still take 200 more turns. Given that you might not be inclined to manage more than one city.

Here is where I am so far. I guess I was very slow in the middle ages and its a bit shot now.

Attachments

• Weird20k.SAV
    456.5 KB · Views: 36
Actually, the starting position is less important than getting a scientific great leader for the first tech, so you can rush the pyramids (or something else, but usually the pyramids). So, the challenge is how many times you are willing to reroll and replay the first 15 or so turns, if you are trying for a really fast 20k. If you aren't trying for a record-breaking date, you can win 20k from basically any start, though (at least, at levels where you can win reasonably comfortably in other ways). My single win on Sid is 20k, and that required a lot of restarts, but mostly to get myself alone on an island so I wasn't stomped immediately, not to get a great city spot. I could not have one that game any other way.

How likely is a SGL? I get them pretty rarely!

If you are scientific, you have a 5% chance each time you are first to learn a new tech. If you are not scientific, you have a 3% chance to get one if you are first to learn a new tech.

If you aren't first to a bunch of techs, you won't see very many of them since the chances are so low (and there aren't that many techs to learn.

If you are scientific, you have a 5% chance each time you are first to learn a new tech. If you are not scientific, you have a 3% chance to get one if you are first to learn a new tech.

If you aren't first to a bunch of techs, you won't see very many of them since the chances are so low (and there aren't that many techs to learn.
I can't remember which Civ I was playing, but I had one game where I won the Spaceship easily on account of having had something like five or seven SGLs in the game. It was so ridiculous I saved up a couple just for the ship.

Top Bottom