24" Monitor

Mr Fahrenheit

Chieftain
Normally, I'd preface this by saying I am such a geek, but you all are here reading it, so I guess we all are! :)

Seriously though, here is a question. I've been loving Civ III for almost a year now at home with my 19".

At work, I recently got a 24". I just HAD to see it on an expanded plane. I'm not wasting work dollars, this (except for this post) has all been after hours just for the sake of curiosity.

So I loaded it up and started a new game and it was expanded and distorted. There was no preferences to change for visualization (that I could find).

Is there a way to run this on a 24" at the same scale as a 19" so that everything is still proportionaed as if it were on a 19, but I get a broader view? I've been dreaming of this.

Wow that was pathetic.

Thanks!

I have a friend who purchased the "Gold" version and can't find the .ini file to change his screen resolution.

I have PTW, Conquests, and that other one (forgot which), and I've successfully changed screen resolutions on my PC, but I can't locate the .ini file on his PC.

Can anyone tell me--conclusively--how to change screen resolutions with a copy of the GOLD version? Where does it store the settings file?

Thanks. He's been puzzling over it for a while, now. Any help will be appreciated.

I can't say for sure for Gold edition, but I assume it has a PTW folder since PTW is the most recent version it includes. Go to the PTW folder, and the ptw.ini file should be there. If it's not, create it! Pull up Notepad, and write the following:

[Civ3PTW]
KeepRes=1

Now Save the file, choosing File Type as All Files, and the name as ptw.ini (making sure it is in the CivIII->PTW folder). CivIII should now load up in whatever the current screen resolution is.

How would you name the file for C3C? I tried several texts and titles, but none worked. Some examples:

civ3conquests.ini
c3c.ini
civilization3.ini

Various texts as well:

[Civ3Conquests]
KeepRes=1

[C3C]
KeepRes=1

Etc.

Many thanks for any help!

How would you name the file for C3C? I tried several texts and titles, but none worked. Some examples:

civ3conquests.ini
c3c.ini
civilization3.ini

Various texts as well:

[Civ3Conquests]
KeepRes=1

[C3C]
KeepRes=1

Etc.

Many thanks for any help!

Mine is called Conquests.ini, but are you sure you have all file extensions enabled? I don't believe the game will play at all unless you have a Conquests.ini file in existance. If you can't see the extensions, you wouldn't be able to find it.

Even without extensions enabled, you might be able to find it as a 3kb file with the type shown as "configuration settings". You just double-click on it and it comes up in Notepad. I have my directory "View" set to details, so if you have a different view, you might try changing it temporarily for additional information.

Problem solved!

It appeared that there wasn't any conquests.ini file in the folder after all. Probably it does start up using default settings or something like that. Anyhow, for other people with the same problem, the advice of Quintillus also goes for C3C:

file name: conquests.ini
text (using Notepad):
[Conquests]
KeepRes=1

Top Bottom