40sw4rm's Old World for Civ VI

40sw4rm

Chieftain
40sw4rm's "OLD WORLD" for Civilization VI (120x80)
Current Minimap: (not WB)

All terrain coding complete. Onward to Rivers/Features!

Current Phase: Complete Terrain/Feature/NW/River Placement Code (33%)
***Taking a week off to unwind and catch up on some games in my library while I'm on leave! I'll be back to working the map 10 JUL. Cheers!
Teasers:
Spoiler :

So, after a long hiatus working on this map and being thoroughly disappointed with Firaxis' support of the world builder the last 8 months, I've finally buckled down and spent the last couple weeks (and a couple hundred crashes to desktop) developing a working schematic via LUA to replicate and plot this map on Civ VI. I've already made a blueprint for the map via the world builder in Civ VI and am using that as a reference to code the LUA script. The good news is that this will allow for the map to have better random resource generation than what was featured on the Civ V map. I will also be able to create more unique regions in the world by forcing certain features on terrains where the vanilla game will not allow... an example would be tundra/marsh for the Siberia/Northern Russia regions (for UA purposes).

Additional notes: I've drastically reduced the size of this map and have enlarged Europe to compliment that. The map still maintains a pristine and accurate view of the world and is still based on elevation maps/satellite images of the world. The new size is 120x80 and will both load and play incredibly better. My reasoning for this is that there is really no gain from having a huge central Russia region when having such sacrifices both turn time and gameplay interaction between Asian Civs/European Civs. The river placement is beyond plentiful as well using real world river maps and I'm currently going through manually coding every river instance in the world as well. I'm hoping to make substantial progress in the next couple weeks, but with the nature of having to code all this into a LUA script, I'm not expecting this to be releasable for about a month as long as I remain diligent in it.

I will post screenshots of England in game after LUA script generation and will also show a minimap teaser. Please be mindful that the terrains (aside from England) will be randomly generated as I have not coded those regions of the world yet. My apologies on the long delay concerning this project.

Latest Update (6/29/2017)
New weekly update: (some nice eye candy!)
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Africa is 90% complete in terms of Rivers/NWs/Features. Western Europe is also complete in terms of rivers. I would say I'm about 33% done in the river generation but making progress. Major areas will be India and Eastern Europe in terms of rivers. As I go along, I am also making changes to certain areas. Changes to certain areas include: Italy, Greece, and Japan. Italy and Greece have been provided more real estate without sacrificing other areas to a large extent, it just required moving certain islands slightly. Japan will no longer have a land bridge directly connecting Kyushu and Shikoku... it will instead have a coastal tile between the two to allow the inland sea to provide a coastal start for Kyoto (last spoiler screenshot shows this change).

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion on the Dardanelles; I'll look into it and see how it can be implemented in a way that makes sense.

I've updated the OP with some screenshots to show a reworked Japan that looks much, much, much BETTER in my opinion. It also gives players a tad more real estate. I've also updated the OP with the completed Arabian Peninsula and some changes in Iran.

Looks great, but idk what those little islands under Sicily are and Malta isn't there? Besides that, it's looking great!

Looks great, but idk what those little islands under Sicily are and Malta isn't there? Besides that, it's looking great!

Thanks for pointing that out, I've added the islands for southern Italy to the list of things to do. Looking back on what I established in the old ciV map, I think I overembellished the size of the islands present in the area just to add some more flavor to the region. Looking at it now though, I feel it probably makes more sense to just emphasize Malta.

OP has been updated with WIP screenshots for South East Asia and China, I've reworked the Philippines to have a more realistic appearance and am starting to remember how much of a challenge laying out china was in the last map.

So, after a long hiatus working on this map and being thoroughly disappointed with Firaxis' support of the world builder the last 8 months, I've finally buckled down and spent the last couple weeks (and a couple hundred crashes to desktop) developing a working schematic via LUA to replicate and plot this map on Civ VI. I've already made a blueprint for the map via the world builder in Civ VI and am using that as a reference to code the LUA script. The good news is that this will allow for the map to have better random resource generation then what was featured on the Civ V map. I will also be able to create more unique regions in the world by forcing certain features on terrains where the vanilla game will not allow... an example would be tundra/marsh for the Siberia/Northern Russia regions (for UA purposes).

Additional notes: I've drastically reduced the size of this map and have enlarged Europe to compliment that. The map still maintains a pristine and accurate view of the world and is still based on elevation maps/satellite images of the world. The new size is 120x80 and will both load and play incredibly better. My reasoning for this is that there is really no gain from having a huge central Russia region when having such sacrifices both turn time and gameplay interaction between Asian Civs/European Civs. The river placement is beyond plentiful as well using real world river maps and I'm currently going through manually coding every river instance in the world as well. I'm hoping to make substantial progress in the next couple weeks, but with the nature of having to code all this into a LUA script, I'm not expecting this to be releasable for about a month as long as I remain diligent in it.

I will post screenshots of England in game after LUA script generation and will also show a minimap teaser. Please be mindful that the terrains (aside from England) will be randomly generated as I have not coded those regions of the world yet. My apologies on the long delay concerning this project.

Made progress on Ireland after work today and as promised screenshots of current progress:

In-game shot of UK+Ireland:
Spoiler :

Minimap: (Keep in mind, need to code rest of the map)
Spoiler :

So, good news! I've finally figured out how to implement the TSL functions into the map script. Honestly, this part of the project frustrated me considerably because I thought it would be more of a simple process than what it actually turned out to be. I'll be including a readme in the mod for players to implement their own TSLs and with the design, modders will be able to do so through their own civ mods as well. As it stands, all that remains at this point in time is to finish up terrain/feature/natural wonder/river placements-- I will also need to figure out continents, but that will not delay initial release and I believe will be rather easy. It should be smooth sailing from this point on in developing the map and I'm optimistically aiming for around two to four weeks (+/-) to get all of it coded.

• Figure out specific land mass generation
  • Figure out specific terrain placement
  • Figure out specific feature placement
  • Figure out specific natural wonder placement
  • Figure out specific river placement
  • Figure out relatively simple TSL functionality
  • Complete terrain/feature/nw/river map code --- UK/Ireland/Norway/Sweeden/Japan regions finished.

TSL Example: (resources are random)
Spoiler :

Here's a new weekly update. The lua code for the terrain map is complete and I've updated the minimap in the parent post. Fun fact on the code thus far: 21,093 lines and 1,062,877 in length! I'll be moving onto features, natural wonders, and river plotting at this point having done the most time-consuming portion of the code. I'm still looking for sources to base my cliff placement off of and will not delay the release of this map based off that. The current ETA for the map's release is roughly about two weeks.

New weekly update: (some nice eye candy!)
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Africa is 90% complete in terms of Rivers/NWs/Features. Western Europe is also complete in terms of rivers. I would say I'm about 33% done in the river generation but making progress. Major areas will be India and Eastern Europe in terms of rivers. As I go along, I am also making changes to certain areas. Changes to certain areas include: Italy, Greece, and Japan. Italy and Greece have been provided more real estate without sacrificing other areas to a large extent, it just required moving certain islands slightly. Japan will no longer have a land bridge directly connecting Kyushu and Shikoku... it will instead have a coastal tile between the two to allow the inland sea to provide a coastal start for Kyoto (last spoiler screenshot shows this change).

Hi 40sw4rm! i'd like to add compatibility with your map for my custom civs. The only way I know to do this (I do it for YNAEMP compatibility) is to open a new map (giant,cordiform or greatest earth) in the worldbuilder, where I find the X,Y of the starting plot. Unfortunately, when i try to do it for your map, it doesn't appear in the map type list available via worldbuilder. your map is only available in the normal way, not in the additional content/ worldbuilder/ new map/create game/ select map.
Do you have an idea about another way i could get the X, Y for your map?

Top Bottom