smiles766

Chieftain
Recently won a culture game where I hut some crazy levels of tourism
  • Deity
  • Standard Speed
  • Continents and Islands, Huge Map
  • England (Eleanor of Aquitaine)
  • GS, otherwise default settings and no mods
My initial focus was to get as many Great Works as possible to get as much from Eleanor's bonus. I had Divine Spark as Pantheon (+1 Great Person Points from Holy Sites (Prophet), Campuses with a Library (Scientist), and Theater Squares with an Amphitheater (Writer)) and was fortunate to spawn next to Babylon (+2 Science from each Great Work of Writing. +1 Science from each Relic and Artifact.) so I was able to keep up with science without building many campuses.

The early game was fairly uneventful other than Japan declaring war on me and my allied city states which I recaptured multiple times.

Things got interesting around turn 140 when I met Teddy Roosevelt on the other side of the map. At this stage in the game his culture was already 200 per turn (mine was 94 at this time) and his science was also double mine. Shortly after he captured the last of Germany's 4 cities and was also "gifted" 3 cities by Poland who settled on Teddy's continent despite not having any way of dealing with the loyalty pressure so they all became American cities.

Before attacking the US, I decided to liberate Bologna from the Mapuche to get ridiculous great people points. (Your districts with a building provide +1 GreatPerson6 Great Person point of their type (Great Writer, Great Artist, and Great Musician for Theater Square districts with a building)). At it's peak I was earning 171 Great Writer points per turn!!!

On Turn 240 I finally started my invasion of America whose culture was now 960 per turn. My initial plan was to eliminate America from the game since that would give me automatic tourism victory as the next AI below US had 1/3 the number of domestic tourists as the US but as it turned out my tourism levels became so strong that I actually won before I could capture America's last and newly settled city on a remote island anyway.

During the invasion I captured all the American cities with Theatre Squares and filled them with Great Works and watched their 4 largest cities fall to loyalty pressure.

My tourism strat other than great works was:
  • Eiffel Tour
  • Seaside Resorts and National Parks (I had 8 by the end)
  • Spam Builders
  • Use the Builders to change all tile improvements to either colossal heads or forest. I was also suzerain of La Venta (Your Builders can now make the Colossal Heads tile improvement - +2 Faith. +1 Faith for every 2 adjacent rainforests (or every 2 adjacent woods) or for every adjacent rainforest (or every woods) with Humanism unlocked. Tourism from Faith with Flight unlocked.)
  • Tourism focused policy cards - Heritage Tourism (+100% Tourism from Great Works and Artifacts), Satelite Broadcasts (+200% Tourism from Great Works of Music), Online Communities (+50% Tourism output to civilizations to which you have a Trade Route)
  • Mary Leakey was the only Great Scientist I ever got (Gain 350 for every Artifact in this city. Artifacts in all your cities generate 300% of their normal Tourism)
  • Wish you were here Golden Age (Cities with Governors receive 50% Tourism from World Wonders. +100% Tourism to all National Parks)
  • Resurrecting the Germans so that I could apply tourism pressure on them but primarily because their crossbowmen looked cute next to my Giant Death Robot
My tourism was 5,377 when I won the game. I am curious if any of you have managed to get tourism levels that high and if anyone knows what the record is.

Attachments

• Great Artist.png
    Great Artist.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 185
  • Great Musician.png
    Great Musician.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
  • Great Writer.png
    Great Writer.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 187
  • Tourism Victory.png
    Tourism Victory.png