(6-CP) Equalize City-State Traits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rekk

Deity
Original proposal:

Currently, the game chooses a completely random assortment of city-states from the pool. Because the number of city-states with each trait is uneven, games are biases into having more of one type then others (militaristic and religious are almost half as likely to appear as the others).

Proposal:
All city-state types are equally likely to appear, but are not forced into a 1-1-1-1-1 spread.

Rationale:
There is no need to be so zealous in removing input randomness from VP. The main problem with the current system is that militaristic and religious city states are very infrequent all the time. I think that it's okay for a type to be infrequent some of the time.

DLL Changes Required

Last edited:
I think I'd like for it to do 1-1-1-1-1 first so that you always have at least 1 of each, and then do random with equal probability. Because yeah, having some randomness is fine and good. But also it's lame to find that your desired city state type just doesn't exist at all.

I think I'd like for it to do 1-1-1-1-1 first so that you always have at least 1 of each, and then do random with equal probability. Because yeah, having some randomness is fine and good. But also it's lame to find that your desired city state type just doesn't exist at all.
Your desired type not existing at all will happen in roughly (4/5)^16 = 2.8% of games, or less due to city states of a given type not of your desired type running out.

Not only that, but no civilization functions off of specifically a given type of city-state, and you already can spend a vast portion of the game without access to your "desired" city state, anyway

Your desired type not existing at all will happen in roughly (4/5)^16 = 2.8% of games, or less due to city states of a given type not of your desired type running out.

Not only that, but no civilization functions off of specifically a given type of city-state, and you already can spend a vast portion of the game without access to your "desired" city state, anyway
But it happens on smaller maps. For me it happened recently on map with 7 majors and 14 minors. Probability is a sneaky bastard.

Last edited:
Which one didn't appear?
Maritime.

There were:
  • 0 Maritime
  • 3 Mercantile
  • 1 Militaristic
  • 5 Cultured
  • 4 Religious
1 minor didn't spawn because of lack of space I guess.

1696793982434.png

As the original proposal says, placement on the map is still random according to the same rules. So I think there'd be plenty of variance between getting two religious CS next to you vs. both on the opposite continent.

Sponsored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom