64 Bit Engine

brewgod

Prince
Hello Civ Die Hards

With the new edition of Civ 6 being released on 64 Bit ... if I am phrasing it correctly...What are / will be the major differences. Game Speed? Graphics? Compared to Brave New World with all the DLC's and Expansions.

As a huge fan since my college days of Civ 1 what should I notice right away?

Please Jump In

Brew God

A 32-bit program can only hold up to 2GB in memory at a time, which serves as an overall cap for the size of the map, the number of units in the world, and probably the graphics quality/pixel density. So 64-bit will allow more going on at once. I think the art director spoke of how it allowed his team to go nuts on some of the details of the graphics, including some of the motion we see in the world (like the lighthouse, active lumber mills, etc).

32-bit imposes a limit to how high the computer can count, limiting the number of "stuff" that can be in a game of Civ. The only time that limit will ever come close to being reached is in graphical stuff (ie, the number of polygons that make up the different parts of the terrain/units/buildings/ect...) that can be on the map at any given time. So in practice, it will just allow better graphics.

What's more interesting is multi-threading, which means that the computer is doing several calculations at the same time. This *could* reduce turn times significantly.

Didn't devs say something about a 64-bit engine making the game more moddable as well?

Didn't devs say something about a 64-bit engine making the game more moddable as well?

Not directly. At best, modding might be less limited due to the increase of memory available, but it doesn't make the game "more moddable" per se.

I am also wondering if it might help keep the entire game in RAM so that late game might run a bit faster. End game turns on larger maps (I usually play on large/epic) do grind on toward the end in Civ V. Once the Apollo program happens, the entire map is "visible", hence more graphics loaded, is when it really seemed to slow down, but things started to bog even before that. I don't think it will make any difference at all until at least the industrial era.

64-bit engine and multithreading are tools for the devs.

They certainly can be used to speed up performance, allow for more data, etc. They can also be used to save development time (if they rely on those things instead of optimizing.)

They do not guarantee any particular features or qualities that we would notice.

64-bit engine and multithreading are tools for the devs.

They certainly can be used to speed up performance, allow for more data, etc. They can also be used to save development time (if they rely on those things instead of optimizing.)

They do not guarantee any particular features or qualities that we would notice.

This. +1000.

64 bit engine has not been confirmed, unless I am mistaken.

Can someone provide a source for this information?

OP - where did you read this?

It HAS been confirmed 64 bit weeks ago, sorry cant find the source right here..

Top Bottom