a collage of questions and the sort..

deathtunes

Chieftain
ive been playing on chieftan and warlord and im still getting my ass kicked, even though in one game i was so far ahead culturally and scientifically that i built EVERY single wonder and small wonder in the game before the opponent even knew the tech. to gain access to it, also, i just cant figure out how to win, and even though im ahead that far in science, i still cant make it to modern times, i just barely made it to computers in my last game, also i was playing on a HUGE map and there was one source of rubber and no source of coal, i had the coal but it ran out, on the entire map, ???!?? how does that help the game any, i couldnt build anything simply cuz there were no sources on the map!, so i took the rubber from my opponent by force, and then built tanks and was on my way to rampaging my first neighbor, and then time runs out and i come in like second to last score wise, dayumn... any tips, i usually head str8 for currency and banking and use marketplaces and banks to up my money and smiths trading center to pay for those and then my economy sky rockets, also i stay in monarchy for most of the game is that good or bad?

Monarchy is a large pain in the butt if you want to research science. The only benefits of Monarchy is if you are a big-time warmonger, because there is no war-weariness. And the only other benefit is the free units and martial law, but if you have plenty of other happiness factors (buildings, wonders, luxuries) going into your cities, and have many larger cities, then Republic or Democracy more than pays for that, just in the bonus commerce you get.

Solution: go into the Editor and increase the amount of resources,

Problem solved.

The values Civ III has for resources and units and improvements and Wonders are way off and even bizarre. Espionage is especially ridiculously expensive.

Make the apporpriate changes in the Editor. resources should be rare, but not so rare you can't find them.

I was once playing on Regent level, the year was 1885. I led all other surviving civs (5) in all scores and was moving in to invade the Japanese. And then my one remaining coal source ran out. No new coal were ever found.

At that point, I would have had toall but conquer Japan to secure the one coal tile it had far, far from me. So, the hell with it. I declared vicotry and left. Note: I had already increased the number of coal in the Editor before that game, but not enough.

So back to Editor: a little more coal, and a little less likelihood of it vanishing.

I'm unimpressed with monarchy's research capability. I haven't played monarchy all that much, but from when I have I reckon that republic yields much faster research.

Also, at higher levels you'll find that the AI researches faster so that you can trade with them and you'll move up quicker too.

You weren't far from a potential diplomatic victory if you made it to the modern period. Of course, you'd have to build the UN and you CAN lose that way, but it doesn't take so long to build wonders when you have factories up.

One way that I try to make sure that I'll have access to resources is by expanding enough to have all the different types of terrain in my empire. Plenty of jungle, for instance, reassures me that I'll get rubber. You don't have to worry about clearing jungle, either, rubber will show up even if the terrain has been changed to grassland.

thanx for the tips man i guess i need to move out of monarchy but im always at war it seems like so i never wanted to bother with weariness.......

Top Bottom