A conquered city doesn't grow

Makavcio

Prince
So, I've conquered the Congolese capital. Right after taking the city, I made peace with them. Then, I "decided" to keep the city. Not that I had a choice. It was a capital after all.

The problem is the city doesn't grow. It's being occupied and therefore doesn't grown, as I'm being informed by a red icon.

I'm running the latest patch with the Nopeland. I'm playing as the Nopeland, btw. It's my first game with the latest patch. Have the game rules changed in a way that gives a conquered city an "unrest" modifier as it was in civ5? When will my city start to grow?

Unfortunately, you need to elect to keep the city before making peace. If you do it in the wrong order, the "occupied" tag (which is set when you elect "keep") never gets cleared. It might get cleared if you start another war with Kongo and then make peace again, but I wouldn't count on it. Until the "occupied" flag is cleared, the city will never grow.

Although you won't like this alternative, you could try selling that city back to Kongo (or to another AI) for as much permanent value as you can get (e.g., relics and great works, if the AI has them and you have slots for them). You can then conquer it back again at your leisure (yes, it sucks to have to pay for the same real estate again, but a permanently occupied city is usually not very valuable.)

Damn, this game is getting better and better.
Thanks for the clarification, though I'll be going with a 3rd option: "uninstall the game".

There 2 ways to get rid of the "Occupied" Tag for your Capped City either wipe out the Original owner from the game. OR when you make peace with them, They Cede the city to you.

The city will be list in "their" city list which will look like "Boston cede" or "Melbourne cede". Which mean they are officially giving claim and ownership of their lost city to you. Capping a city does not mean that it is yours. They need to give up claim on it.

Also make sure once you have done this, to check which tiles your new Citizens are working sometime they will not focus on food grow because of the Occupied tag and food was wasted so they got to work on other tiles.

P.S. unless it was traded or Brought Peacefully any Conquered/Ceded city will always be a cause of tension and diplomatic strain between you and that Civ

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you need to elect to keep the city before making peace. If you do it in the wrong order, the "occupied" tag (which is set when you elect "keep") never gets cleared.

I believe they fixed this bug. you "Should" be able to Negotiate the AI to Cede the city to you even after a long time and peace has come.

I think you have to get them to 'cede' the city to you in a trade deal for it to grow (it should be one of the trade options, i.e cede, XXXXX).

You have to get the opposing Civ to cede the control of the city to you in peace treaty. Otherwise it will be trapped in disputes and unable to be productive.

Top Bottom